navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heating system control  (Read 1629 times)
Handyman Essex

« on: January 08, 2020, 04:11:03 PM »

Good evening,
Some time back I asked for some help with a s plan heating system well I'm still having problem getting my head around it.

In the image below I want to remove the time control/pump and boiler from the wiring. I want to control the valves with a switch so I can turn off heating and hot water manually and thermostat  operating the corresponding valve.

I know it was simple when it was explained to me but I'm much better at following a diagram and someone help by editing the image.

Thanks guy

Tigger

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 05:12:31 PM »

Hello Guy,

May I ask, do you really mean you want to remove the time controller and the boiler and the pump as you stated (which would leave you without a heat source or a means of pumping the water around), or do you just want to remove the time controller so that you manually switch on the Hot Water and Heating when you want it and rely on the associated thermostat to switch it off and back on when required?

If you just want to remove the time controller aspect then it may be possible to do it with your current time controller if it provides off/auto/on for each channel (DHW and CH).  All you need to do is select between off and on for each one and you're sorted.

If not then just remove the time controller and put a single phase switch between 1 & 4 on the choccy block strip for the Central Heating and another switch between 1 & 6 for the Hot Water.

Hope that helps or maybe I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.....

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
Handyman Essex

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »

Thanks you for your reply.

I have a pellet stove/boiler that's self contend unit and has no way of controlling the valve.

So I just need the to be able to control the valve by the thermostats and a couple of switches,

Chris

Hello Guy,

May I ask, do you really mean you want to remove the time controller and the boiler and the pump as you stated (which would leave you without a heat source or a means of pumping the water around), or do you just want to remove the time controller so that you manually switch on the Hot Water and Heating when you want it and rely on the associated thermostat to switch it off and back on when required?

If you just want to remove the time controller aspect then it may be possible to do it with your current time controller if it provides off/auto/on for each channel (DHW and CH).  All you need to do is select between off and on for each one and you're sorted.

If not then just remove the time controller and put a single phase switch between 1 & 4 on the choccy block strip for the Central Heating and another switch between 1 & 6 for the Hot Water.

Hope that helps or maybe I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.....
TT

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »

What about modifying a WiFi socket outlet?
TLC do some WiFi controls, so worth a look there too
Handyman Essex

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 07:59:35 PM »

The idea is to keep it simple, wifi though 1m thick stone wall is not that good.

What about modifying a WiFi socket outlet?
TLC do some WiFi controls, so worth a look there too
Handyman Essex

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 11:28:23 AM »

Hopefully this is what I'm looking at - if it goes bang I know who to blame Wink

Thanks Guys...

JohnS

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »

A couple of questions.

Do you have any sort of heat dump circuit for the pellet boiler.  If both S valves close, where can it get rid of the heat to?  Without exploding !

Why no timer?  You are then relying on remembering to switch the heat off at night, or at least turn it down a bit.  For hot water, a couple of heating sessions a day will be enough.  Especially if you have, or may plan to have solar PV feeding an immersion or solar thermal.  No point in heating all the hot water early in the day when the sun will do it for free later.

I have a programmable thermostat and find it useful.  I can set the heat back at night to, say 16, ramp it up in the morning to 20 for a couple of hours then set it back to 18 and back up for the late afternoon/evening.  If I need it to be warmer, I can turn it up and it will return to the original settings at the next change.  Made a huge savings in my gas consumption.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
Handyman Essex

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 01:28:53 PM »

The boiler (Artel  LST34AS55) is a self contend unit with its own timer / temp control / it monitors the returning hot water so no need to a heat dump, only a by-pass valve. I'm still trying to find information on the boiler, it was gifted to me so information is a little short.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: