navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water filtration - off grid  (Read 8032 times)
Photosolo

« on: January 12, 2020, 08:02:31 AM »

Hi apologies if thereís a great deal of these questions already?
I promise Iíve tried the search facility..
Iím looking for advice on finding a water filtration solution.
We are off grid so Iím always looking at options to remove the need for electric.
So it seems:
No UV filter
No reverse Osmosis
Iíve seen talk of ceramic filters (0.2 micron) combined with a carbon filter.
Is there anyone on here using anything like this?
Thanks for help in advance.
Dan
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »

You donít say what youíre wanting to filter out, or what the filtered waterís wanted for, but these people: https://www.andrewswater.co.uk/water-filter-systems/

were very helpful when we had a high nitrate content in our well water for a while, successfully reducing that to LA -acceptable levels at a dedicated drinking water point.

Repeated testing of the Ďfiltered faucetí sample against an Ďuntreated tapí sample revealed a few years later the ground water had cleared, so we stopped using it or replacing filters. They were about £80 a year.

Hope that helps,
Chas
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 09:45:53 AM »

Hi ,  i used this one (called Ultrafiltration) ,  as a  inline ( needed a pump anyway to built up reassure)  for years to filter  pond water , to be used  in the house
and was happy with it   https://www.memfilwater.com/filter_dss-540s.php
The reason i bought it there , was simply that the same systems  would have cost 5 times more in Germany or the UK

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Photosolo

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:03:13 AM »

Apologies... itís to ensure safe drinking water to the house.
As itís coming from a mountain stream, I plan to pump to a holding tank at the top of our land so we have a consistent flow without worrying about a possible dry spell. Although the previous owner said the stream only run dry once in 20 years.
Thereís no live stock on the surrounding land itís all forestry. Not to say a random stray sheep or deer couldnít fall and drown up stream (or rodent). Mmm
I guess we should get the water tested next for specific requirements. But my main concern is pathogens / anything that could cause harm.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »

If you  have your intake  up that stream , you have pressure   and possibly much nicer water, than if you tank it .
So  just use  tanked water for an emergency time ??

So ultrafiltration (if pressure is high enough) would work , and if choosen big enough to allow a decent flow , no need for any electricity then
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/blogs/blog/how-an-ultrafiltration-membrane-works

to one tap you can ontop ad something like the Ozonboy attached direct to a tap  , i love it  , here we talked about  filters ...https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26541.15

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Photosolo

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »

Thanks Billi
Very helpful stuff👍
Bodidly

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 11:51:34 AM »

All we have ever had is a system that looks much like this https://www.directwaterfilters.co.uk/water-problems/chlorine-and-chloramine/1-year-whole-house-water-filtration-system.html One course filter and a second finer one.
camillitech

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »

Hi PS,

Build yourself a slow sand filter https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_sand_filter cost you next to nothing, no electric required and filters just about everything.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Photosolo

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 02:29:19 PM »

Thanks for the help everyone, lots of helpful info. Really appreciate it👍
heatherhopper

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »

As already stated it all depends on incoming water quality and desired filtered quality but I cast another vote for a simple sand filter. Installed one on the incoming side of our storage a couple of years ago and it has proved the most effective part of the system.

Have tried numerous passive filter types over the years but now have only a single 10" housing downstream in which I use cheap <1 micron wound rope cartridges and these need changing infrequently.

I have added a 30W UV lamp recently to keep the other half happy and I would suggest if you are concerned about pathogens this is the best bet. Because of it's power consumption I suspected I might let this fall into disuse come bulb change time but truth is it has made not a jot of difference to when we need to run the generator so it may stay.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Moxi

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 10:37:32 AM »

Most of the water companies use sand filtration to polish their potable water, activated carbon is used in areas where there may be a taint or odour to the water, and then a dose of ozone, chlorine or UV to kill pathogens (dose and frequency linked to the areas source water quality) so as has been suggested - have the water source checked and proceed from there.

A word of caution though to ensure your source has the same conditions during winter and summer, I see you have noted its only run dry once  but flow conditions can slow in summer leading to lower oxygenation pH can decrease leading to increases in metals and other compounds passing in to solution, during the autumn leaf and needle fall can taint the water and give rise to colloidal suspensions and so quality can change dramatically through the seasons.  None of these factors prevent you using the water they just indicate what additional steps are needed to enjoy the water resource safely.

Moxi
Photosolo

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 01:45:32 PM »

Nice one Moxi
Great advice. I will attempt to have the water tested soon.
Would you recommend having the water checked by my local environmental health officer or is that over kill ?
I assume there's plenty of private companies offering to test online.
Iain

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 04:15:01 PM »

Hi

Would you recommend having the water checked by my local environmental health officer or is that over kill

Would be tempted to keep it under the radar. I think others have had issues with too much official interference after a simple request.

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Moxi

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 04:50:43 PM »

I would seek out a qualified lab suitable for testing potable water and tell them the parameters you are looking for - I doubt the local environmental officer will have access to suitable facilities and is likely to complicate matters and increase costs by asking for copies and possibly asking unnecessary questions about abstraction licences etc

Moxi
Barrie

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 05:33:44 PM »

I wouldn't like to comment how officious the EHO could be but when we had a case of blue-green algae we asked the EA to come and look and they turned out within three hours and we had the results the following day (all free).

This confirmed the presence of the toxins but not at dangerous levels and the results were accompanied by lots of useful advice on what activities were safe and what were not.

They then returned two/three weeks later for a follow up test which confirmed the levels were back to normal.

Barrie

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: