navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Economics of domestic batts  (Read 2955 times)
brackwell

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2020, 09:36:22 AM »

Thought this was an interesting read  https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/18/tesla-shanghai-model-3-may-go-cobalt-free-using-catls-lfp-cells-diving-deeper/

I am thinking that present residential batts are just the castoffs of the EV ind and that R&D  but perhaps there will come a time when residentaial batts get their own attention but perhaps that will be a spinoff of utility scale batts where space is not a restraint nor need to be as tough. just comparatively cheap  I can envisage a storage batt being produced for 50% the cost of a EV batt

Ken
RIT

South West London

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »

Is there not a lead acid system available to do this at significantly cheaper outlay, I admit it may not be one packaged unit?

I would like batteries, but think more Lead Acid would be the way for me in a static environment.

Large lead-acid battery banks are cheaper per kW of capacity, but their cycle life is a lot shorter than Li based solution. The result is that the total amount of kWh storage over their lives is around the same.

If you have space a lead-acid solution will most likely offer a lot more capacity in case of a major need - power cut/zombie apocalypse etc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:15:49 PM by RIT » Logged

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
RIT

South West London

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »

RIT, I like the idea of an EV that can be plugged in and the remaining charge of the day used for house. Although in agile that user would be exposed to the 4pm to 7pm high rate if they were on the commute home with no residential battery to discharge? Might not be enough reason to go to the expense.

It will be interesting to see how TOU tariffs evolve over time. At the moment the 'peak' charging rate seen on the agile tariff is a more creation of Octopus, rather than being due to the wholesale market. In many ways, the users of peak power are subsidizing the costs of users of power over the rest of the day as Octopus adds an addition 12p gross profit margin to the rate. It shows how much is changing and how quickly when Octopus started the tariff the peak rate often hit the 35p cap. Now I guess due to their size, a market that understands their needs better and lower overall energy costs the peak rate (without the 12p uprating) is not much more than the pre and post rates.

Cars used for a daily commute are not going to be a good choice for battery storage unless owned by a single person, but there are a lot of households with second cars or made up of retired people. Homeworking may also increase, but I've been hearing that for the last 20 years or so as the first home working project I got involved in was around 1992 and planned to use ADSL (2 x 64kbit connections) for the network connection between home and office.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:38:43 PM by RIT » Logged

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Justme

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 08:32:11 PM »

When people are working out if its cost viable are you using claimed efficiency stats?

The claims seem to be mains to bat 90+% & bat to mains 90+%.
On a 4kWh mains used charge thats 3.24kwh actually usable on the output.

Empirical data suggest that those numbers are optimistic.
More realistic is mains to bat 80% & bat to mains 80%.
Resulting in a 4kWh charge giving just 2.56kWh for the end user.

We are currently looking at getting mains installed to use instead of the genny.

That will reduce our input per kWh costs but is it still worth using the inverter & battery bank?
The genny is making a kWh for about 25p.
In summer the solar covers our full use. In winter it does not scratch the surface.

As we are low users I cant see a break even point.

Have you thought about wind? If you’re off grid and have enough solar to cover summer but struggle in winter then a kW or two of wind will make a big impact on your winter genny use.

Not a great wind location as we live in a woodland.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
kdmnx

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2020, 12:48:13 PM »

I will I'm sure have a go at go as it's no penalty to change but quite happy with the prices on agile and no disturbance to how we live. SWMBO is a good egg but only so far. Smiley

Maybe try go when I buy an EV. Apart from the 4 hours at 5p what is the rate on go?

Benefits of Go vs agile:
  • Known prices/times, you can set and forget your battery charge/discharge times, as well as other stuff (eg your EV, immersion, etc.).
  • No afternoon peak. If you're on Agile you REALLY need to ensure you're using no grid power between 1530 and 1930.

Obviously everyone is different you need to figure out what is right for you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:43:29 PM by kdmnx » Logged

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »

Agile also has a lower standing charge than Go by about £1.20 a month. It all adds up!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Womble-Free

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2020, 04:52:09 PM »

I will I'm sure have a go at go as it's no penalty to change but quite happy with the prices on agile and no disturbance to how we live. SWMBO is a good egg but only so far. Smiley

Maybe try go when I buy an EV. Apart from the 4 hours at 5p what is the rate on go?

Benefits of Go vs agile:
  • Known prices/times, you can set and forget your battery charge/discharge times, as well as other stuff (eg your EV, immersion, etc.).
  • No afternoon peak. If you're on Agile you REALLY need to ensure you're using no grid power between 1530 and 1930.

Obviously everyone is different you need to figure out what is right for you.

Agreed. In 9 months, I have flipped from Go to Agile; to Go Faster, and now back to Agile. Agile is working well for me at the moment but this is partly due to the unusually windy conditions. There is a learning curve with Agile but even my wife now looks at the daily Agile prices before putting the dishwasher on etc.

As an aside, there is an article in today's DT about Agile.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: