navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staffordshire / Cheshire border.  (Read 936 times)
kdmnx

« on: February 16, 2020, 03:25:12 PM »

Hi,

First post, I hope this is the correct format:

I'm looking for a PV system with batteries and emergency power. I've had a quote from a national provider but would welcome quotes/advice.

System:
  • 12 x 340W JA Solar panels
  • 1x LUX Power LXP5000 hybrid inverter
  • 2x Pylon Tech US2000 Batteries
  • All required cables, isolators, and sundries
  • Site survey and installation
  • Completion of all relevant paperwork and certification

All-in price of 」6000 inc. VAT payable in 3 monthly installments after installation.

I'm a bit suspicious because the original quote came in a lot higher, but they dropped their pants as soon as I questioned the price and mentioned I might get competing quotes. They also haven't looked at the job, asked for pictures of my roof, or done anything to give me the impression they aren't very comfortable there is enough padding in the prices to cover any eventuality.

I haven't chosen the above components, just what the company quoted for, I did some research and they seem decent.

Feel free to comment below, or message me directly.
K

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080kWp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable)
RIT

South West London

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 03:46:42 PM »

Standard advice is to always get a second quote and in this situation one that has even the simplest site survey. The quote you have is going to have small print somewhere stating "Subject to Survey" at which point who knows what the final cost will be.

This site is provided by Navitron, while they do not demand much from the forum users it would be worth calling them to see if they work with any local installers who can provide a more detailed quote

https://www.navitron.org.uk/

A quick hunt around the internet will get you street prices for the main parts, this will give you an idea of how the system has been priced up. One thing to ask is how much VAT is being charged on the whole thing as the rules are a little complicated now for a combined system.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:14:45 PM by RIT » Logged

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 05:43:05 PM »

Tell them that although price is a major factor if their quote is dearer can they justify it ?
I didnt go with the cheapest -dearer quote specced a dual input inverter and explained why he preferred it.
George
nowty

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 09:41:19 PM »

That's a good price for the spec if it includes installation, I bet it does not include scaffolding if needed.

Does it include the roof mounting kit ?, I note that's not on there so maybe that is an extra subject to survey.

Are you going to get an MCS certificate ?, which you will need if you want to claim the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG), although with batteries you are not going to have much to export.

Can you fit more than 12 panels, might as well add a few more with that inverter and batteries if they will fit.

If you are going for the Pylontech batteries, consider adding a third one so you will benefit from the max power output from the inverter, as the power output is downrated if only having one or two.

12kW+ of PV installed and 57+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 50+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
270,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
kdmnx

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 06:36:25 AM »

Hi Nowty,

Thank you for your reply. They said the price is the price there値l be no extras. Includes mounting kit, no talk about scaff, I assumed it was included. Yes includes MCS cert and all paperwork.

Roof points SSE, and it痴 a 5-bed house, but not a nice one plane roof (pic below) I have doubts about if they値l be able to fit 12 panels on there. But I知 on board with cramming as many on as I can while I知 at it.

I plan to add more batteries later if needed. I知 on Octopus at the moment so might move to 敵o and cycle the batteries twice a day in winter (don稚 have a smart meter). We池e not one of those families who leave the house all day with everything switched off while it is generating all of its power. One works from home in a resistive electric heated garden office, washing machines, dishwashers, and other appliances run in the daytime. I don稚 especially want to return any power to the grid so will see how it goes.

nowty

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 10:11:32 AM »

Yes, not an easy roof !

Triangular panels are available to make the installation look neater but they are more expensive and make the mounting more difficult.

Or go for the more efficient (so they can be smaller for same power) ones like Panasonic and they make several different sizes to maximise a difficult roof. Those 340 JA panels sound like really efficient because of the high power but I think they are the 2 meter long ones so are no more efficient as standard panels.

But the fact that they have quoted and not looked at your roof is ringing alarm bells in my head.

kdmnx

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 06:01:49 PM »

Yes, not an easy roof !

Triangular panels are available to make the installation look neater but they are more expensive and make the mounting more difficult.

Or go for the more efficient (so they can be smaller for same power) ones like Panasonic and they make several different sizes to maximise a difficult roof. Those 340 JA panels sound like really efficient because of the high power but I think they are the 2 meter long ones so are no more efficient as standard panels.

But the fact that they have quoted and not looked at your roof is ringing alarm bells in my head.

I've given them a verbal "yes" pending site visit, see we'll see what the guy says when he looks at it. I'm not paying any extra that's for sure. My main concern is fitting the panels on.

This is my VERY unscientific attempt at a sanity check:

This looks like I'll only get 6 panels on which is a bit rubbish. It hardly seems worth the bother for 2kw. The length of the base of the main triangle is 6m, so I went with that for scale, I appreciate that perspective and the 3d nature of the roof will come into play. But 12 panels does seem very unrealistic. I'll see what the guy doing the site inspection thinks, maybe it'll be possible to cram on a lot more smaller panels as you say the JA panels are 2mx1m.

I'll keep you updated. Any suggestions of particularly efficient W/mイ panels particularly ones that come in smaller sizes would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:25:40 AM by kdmnx » Logged

kdmnx

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 01:26:23 PM »

Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd give an update. I don't like reading old forum posts where someone joins, asks a question, then disappears without sharing the outcome. So here goes!

The company who quoted above sent round a "surveyor" to look at the roof. I was fully prepared for this "surveyor" to be a salesman really. But the reality was he was a nice guy, who had zero interest in "signing me up". JA solar do have 2m 340W panels but the ones they were quoting for are 1.6m. After lots of measuring from the ground and counting roof tiles he said they'd be able to get 10x panels on. 3 on the triangular roof, 2 on the single story extension, and 5 on the other bit of roof. He recommended "Tigo" optimisers for the 2x panels because of a nearby tree. This brought the quote down to 」5800.

On this basis I went ahead. I'm sure the company are making decent money but I was happy with the VFM. People I'd spoken to had paid a lot more for similar installs.

So yesterday it was all installed. The installers expressed immediate scepticism that they'd be able to get all 10 panels on. However in the end they put all 10 panels on the top roof. I spoke with the installers and suggested fitting an extra 2 panels on the lower roof to make the 12 panels originally quoted for. They made a call and it was decided that they'd do the wiring and fit the rails to the lower roof, and someone would come in the next few days and fit the extra 2 panels, they left the 2x tigo units with me.

I saw a peak of 3.3kW today, which seems pretty good for a 3.4kWp array in February, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Before winter I'll buy a few more batteries and get on Octopus Go so I can cycle the batteries twice a day.

(I would have added some pictures but Chrome crashes every time I try)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:38:58 PM by kdmnx » Logged

nowty

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 03:09:47 PM »

Sounds like you have done alright then, welcome to the club.

And they seem to know what they are doing recommending those Tigo optimisers because of that tree.

Note - we are entering the period when we get the highest outputs because of cold windy weather. In midsummer when the panels run hotter the output drops a little but you still generate loads more as the day is a lot longer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:15:30 PM by nowty » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: