navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does "Impact of Loft Insulation - N/A or nnnn value mean on P 2 of an EPC?  (Read 282 times)
andyrob

« on: July 06, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »

I have just had an updated EPC assessment of my house carried out.

In the first survey report, from the boxes on Page 2 (in the section "Your Home's Heat Demand") I had N/A for the box titled 'Impact of Loft Insulation'.  I don't know what this abbreviation is for.

The most recent survey had the value (1,390).

There is a good thickness of fibre-glass insulation but, whatever, there has been no change in any aspect of the loft insulation from one survey to the next - so presumably one must be wrong? I don't know which one.

Can anyone please explain what's happened here?

12 x 327w Sunpower (4kw) PV, 3 x 10kw WBS and an all-glass conservatory with hot air extraction and circulation.
kdmnx

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 05:06:29 AM »

You’ve just figured out how much value these EPC surveys have.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
brackwell

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 08:00:00 AM »

?? is this where they suggest possible improvements and because you already have loft insulation this is not applicable NA. I have also heard of them discounting wall insulation because they cannot see it or one does not have the cert. Does this apply to your loft insulation.

In broad brush strokes the EPC is fine for comparing different houses WITHOUT occupants  as it is the occupants who materially change things eg long showers, leaving bedroom windows open, tolerate lower room temps etc.
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 08:24:43 AM »

Wait a while and see what effect this has on your insulation plan:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53313640

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Countrypaul

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »

Ken's coment about discounting CWI nearly happened to us, the surveyor could not take any acceptable (to the relevant company) photographs of the CWI other than in the "basement" where there had been some leakage of the injected PUR. We had to get letters from the builders and from the architect to indicate that it had been done and that the srchitect had inspected it as it was beeing done as evidence that it had been done.

Similar problem with the SIP panels, because the surveyor could not see the insulation in the panels the company that registers the EPC was not happy - not sure how a surveyor could ever see the insulation in a SIP if it is installed properly!

The eventual values the EPC came out with did not reflect the level of insulation in the house so, as others have said, don't assume the EPC reflects reality.
Tinbum

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 09:21:09 AM »

I had N/A for the box titled 'Impact of Loft Insulation'.  I don't know what this abbreviation is for.

Not Applicable

They obviously think now that it is worth doing.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
andyrob

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 10:23:32 AM »

It's the OP here again.

I could have mentioned that, in the context of possible RHI payments on a GSHP, the difference between the N/A and the new number (1390) for this box on the EPC is about (negative) £1500 - so it's worth finding out about and making sure it's correct.

This is the third recent EPC done on essentially the same property and each one differs significantly from the other two. In fact, as has been intimated above, they're not worth much to anyone who really wants to know what a house is like (most buyers perhaps?) but they are important to home owners by the fact that EPCs are the basis of the calculation for 7 years of RHI payments.

12 x 327w Sunpower (4kw) PV, 3 x 10kw WBS and an all-glass conservatory with hot air extraction and circulation.
kdmnx

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 12:26:29 PM »

It's the OP here again.

I could have mentioned that, in the context of possible RHI payments on a GSHP, the difference between the N/A and the new number (1390) for this box on the EPC is about (negative) £1500 - so it's worth finding out about and making sure it's correct.

This is the third recent EPC done on essentially the same property and each one differs significantly from the other two. In fact, as has been intimated above, they're not worth much to anyone who really wants to know what a house is like (most buyers perhaps?) but they are important to home owners by the fact that EPCs are the basis of the calculation for 7 years of RHI payments.

"N/A" most likely means the person doing the inspection didn't look in the loft. The absurdity of submitting an EPC without knowing how well-insulated the roof is, is all you need to know about the person conducting the survey. The whole EPC thing was a 1990s job-creation scheme nothing about is has any potential to produce a document or score that is any way reflective of the reality. I'm sorry you have real money riding on this shambles. How did you chose the firm that conducted the survey?

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »

+1 @kdmx

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
andyrob

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 01:42:35 AM »

How did you choose the firm that conducted the survey?

I only chose the assessor of my 3rd EPC. The first was commissioned prior to sale by the previous owner on the recommendation of his estate agent. I appealed (to the accreditation organisation) on the grounds that a nearby, identical, property had a very different EPC and that my property's assessor had failed to respond to a request for a possible explanation. I had pointed out that it might easily have been the the other property's EPC that was incorrect but I got no response from the assessor.

So, the accreditation body (Str*ma) carried out a desk-based audit that produced a revised and significantly different (second) EPC.

However, checking the (interesting) data for my property which is publicly available at https://epc.opendatacommunities.org (ie the assessor's underlying data put into the software that's used to produce the EPC) I knew that my revised EPC was still incorrect as some of this data (eg measurements) was incorrect. No desk-based audit was ever going to resolve that.

Even going through a lengthy appeal/grievance procedure didn't persuade Str*ma to commission a new survey so I gave up and paid £50 to the first person who replied to an email sent to several local assessors. This produced my 3rd EPC which, until the underlying data is published, I can't be sure is correct but, to be fair, he came across as knowledgeable and competent so I think this one is likely to be pretty much as accurate as it'll get.

P.S.

The storing/recording of the underlying data for domestic EPCs (by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government) became a mandatory requirement in 2008, though data for where the EPC holder has ‘opted-out’ of disclosure is withheld.

Address level data is published under a copyright notice which defines the limited purposes for which anyone can use it - even just look at. Basically, accessing it is for personal use only. GDPR rules, etc.

For new EPCs the MHCLG publishes register data every six months so recent EPC data won't appear for a while.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: