navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OFF-GRID Wind Turbine & Solar PV combo  (Read 3839 times)
kdmnx

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »

A really good read Biff. I like the idea of a propane fired homemade genny feeding a battery bank. That's a good idea and cleaner than a diesel engine.

Biomass gas, veg oil, other alternatives, the dream would be to have a usable stream on one's land.

Propane is good for standby applications because it lasts forever. You don't have to worry about the dregs of a tank of diesel sitting there all summer going bad...

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
Photosolo

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 08:03:36 PM »

Thanks for all the voices or reason.
It's always good to hear people are making it work somehow.
The turbine thing I had been advised years ago against as although our 5 acres sits on a nice breezy hillside it is surrounded by a managed Pine forest.
The 2 things that have changed though is that pine forest is at maturity in fact its over due felling. I'm guessing that could possibly give us 10 years of pretty clean air in the right spot. Also I was chatting to someone recently about wind turbines & he pointed out there is a new advancement in turbines, called Variable Pitch Turbines. Apparently these are far more efficient & better at capturing the wind. The 3rd most relevant & slightly controversial change is the idea of (in theory) importing directly from China.
Thanks Heatherhopper for finding my old posts, I'll give them a fresh read, I know there was definitely some great stuff in there. My memory is sadly mush these days. I find I go all in on researching something for a while & then a different job takes my attention for a while & then all information I though I had retained disappears into the ether !
With regards to wear we are on the project, the house is built & weather tight. It still needs the external cladding & I've started the 1st fix electrics & plaster boarding upstairs. We have given ourselves around 6 - 12 months to sort it to a liveable standard from now.
Ive been deliberately putting off buying the renewables till last as I didn't want to just have it all sitting there. especially as the prices seem to have been on a steady decline for the last few years.
I'll try and attach a pic of the house

* _H6A1271.jpg (269.33 KB, 1004x671 - viewed 159 times.)
TT

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 05:41:30 PM »

If you are plasterboarding upstairs and havenít decided on which renewable route you are going
Itís worth adding some ducts out the building to where your boiler, consumer unit, potential roof PV to allow for cabling.
Nothing worse than seeing surface cabling
Photosolo

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 06:00:25 PM »

Donít worry, im leaving certain areas free still.
Iím not roof mounting anything though.
nowty

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 06:14:13 PM »

If you've got 5 acres, I suspect there is room for the odd ground mount or two. Shocked

12 kW of PV installed and 67 MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 50 kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15 kWh's.
Storage heaters of 15 kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30 kWh's of storage).
6kW Ground source heatpump.
320,000 litres of water harvested from underground river.
camillitech

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 06:20:54 PM »

Some lovely blue panels would complement that roof just lovely  Cool

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 08:11:35 PM »

Another consideration.  Demand WILL grow to exceed generation.  When we had just had the old Lister and every KWhr was directly related to diesel spend we were mighty frugal.  As I added more RE our consumption rose .  We used to (2002) use about 3KwHr per day and now use in excess of 10Kwhr.

So if you have a growing family assume your calculations for demand will be exceeded by at least 200%

Andy
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 08:46:37 AM by offthegridandy » Logged

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
https://www.redwoodretreat.uk/
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood sto
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 06:10:15 AM »

With plenty of space and no fan of clambering on roofs I would ground mount as much as I could afford.

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: