navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EV ,,No No ,, No Tow  (Read 1919 times)
azps

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 10:25:53 AM »

Perhaps Baroness Vere needs to be told the whole story.

It's extremely rare that a politician wants that, in my experience. In recent years, I can only think of a handful - you can usually spot them, as they're the chairs who turn their select committee into a force that can hold the government of the day to account - Gwyneth Dunwoody and Lilian Greenwood being two good examples of this.

The other one who genuinely wanted the bigger picture was Ken Livingstone: he really cared about the details that matter. A very flawed man, but a very capable mayor.

HalcyonRichard

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 11:10:47 AM »

The story, and the review, is completely backwards.
To summarise - Smart Motorways are the problem here and the way they've been designed, rolled out, and the education for drivers around them.

Exactly

I find it strange that the Baroness is singling out EV's. Which are more reliable and have better warnings about running out of fuel. Both of which mean they are far safer on any road including smart motorways. Out of interest I did a quick google.

800,000 cars run out of fuel every year and 150,000 cars a year are mis-fueled. Me thinks the Baroness is barking. And barking up the wrong tree.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3212222/More-800-000-drivers-year-run-fuel.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/5265924/the-3000-misfueling-mistake-150000-brits-make-every-year-and-the-40-gadget-thatll-stop-you-wrecking-your-car/

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »

Biff, messenger shooting never crossed my mind, I was merely responding to the Terry's rather than yourself bringing the info piece to the attention of the forum.

(& I resent going to the pound shop to do 3 circuits of the tills to get a weeks worth of cold & flu tablet medicine on the basis of a minority of idiots & miscreants mis-use / dumb use of kit that is subsequently shelved / restricted for "safety" reasons.

I humbly suggest a kettle boiling & tea* making license with a practical test before a years valid cistificate of competence is issued (for a modest sum to govt at a private training centre of an old airfield naturally) with compulsory attendance for all.  bike

*Instant coffee drinkers will have to do without.

Why do I need a weeks worth? (location, the countryside)
Feeling like crud & having to get up, out possibly in an infectious state to get more (potential germ exposure to others unkindly & unnecessarily).
Travel, if you go on holiday, its good to be prepared esp with winter environ sports holidays, where a days travel & flight in a tin can / bus with a multitude of other people may have you coughing & wheezing (or worse) before the week is out.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:28:24 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 12:00:26 PM »

Death or serious liver damage by intended, or accidental, paracetamol overdose is a remarkably easy thing to trigger, so the restrictions on paracetamol volume purchasing are a relatively low-inconvenience measure to prevent serious harm.

The BMJ reports that rates of paracetamol-death have fallen 43% since the packaging and numbers of packets restriction measures were introduced, and a 61% reduction in rates of liver transplants.   I'd say an effective and very low-cost health intervention. Death from paracetamol overdose still claims over 120 lives a year, and suicide is the number 1 cause of death in males aged under 40. 

The other option would be to mandate the paracetamol overdose antidote is added to every OTC paracetamol tablet, which could be done, but would massively increase the cost of the tablets, so will never happen.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:02:22 PM by dan_b » Logged

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
MR GUS

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 12:07:26 PM »

part of the problem being that they tend only to put 300mg of paracetemol per tablet compared to 500mg per tablet.
A normal (adult dose) is 2x 500mg tablets.

If you turn around & take the lower dose you are taking the lower dose & then topping up with regular tablets... that is stupid.

So a 300 mg is ok for teenagers  (15 - 16 yr olds) but not much cop for adults, unless they already have problems with their liver.

NB my gripe is the "drug use" for other stuff that was in the likes of old recipe "contac" (sustained release) for crystal meth that led to it.

Folks need to read a packet with meds, even with an addled brain I can still count on my fingers how many pills I've taken & how far apart (for instance).

"Alexa set 6 hour pill timer" (optional).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:12:06 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »

Yes that's a fair point - Lemsip Max is the only cold/flu remedy to get in that instance as it has the proper 1g dose in it.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
MR GUS

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 12:14:30 PM »

To summarise - Smart Motorways are the problem here and the way they've been designed, rolled out, and the education for drivers around them.

Exactly

I find it strange that the Baroness is singling out EV's. Which are more reliable and have better warnings about running out of fuel. Both of which mean they are far safer on any road including smart motorways. Out of interest I did a quick google.

800,000 cars run out of fuel every year and 150,000 cars a year are mis-fueled. Me thinks the Baroness is barking. And barking up the wrong tree.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3212222/More-800-000-drivers-year-run-fuel.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/5265924/the-3000-misfueling-mistake-150000-brits-make-every-year-and-the-40-gadget-thatll-stop-you-wrecking-your-car/

+1 Richard.
...lack of context courtesy the law makers & influencers = confusion & crass Daily-fail headlines.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 12:40:41 PM »

Yes that's a fair point - Lemsip Max is the only cold/flu remedy to get in that instance as it has the proper 1g dose in it.

"Max strength" being the key ...which is also confusing due to the morass of marketing hyperbole associated with "product" compared to the understanding of "maximum allowed ingredient by law"

The other thing is that the regular cold & flu will often have the maximum allowed pheny & caffiene (being around 6.1 / 2mg per pheny capsule & around 25mg of caffeine per tab off the top of my head). so it is too easy to exceed dose on other ingredients (heart palpitations etc) compared to just a properly followed tablet.

EG.
"Wockhardt" Max strength cold & flu capsules (box of 16)
Each capsule = 500mg paracetamol, caffiene 25 mg, phenylephrine hydrochloride 6 mg

"Regular" (same shelf same store) 300mg paracetamol ..other components remain the same measures as previously stated.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
oliver90owner

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 01:31:48 PM »

Back to ‘smart’ motorways.  One helpful solution might be to severely restrict the speed in those hard shoulder lanes.  That way they would only get used at severely congested times.  It would, of course require reduced speeds in the other lanes, too. 

I avoid them, if at all possible, and note traffic speeding along the hard shoulder very much faster than the normal lanes.  Quite possibly safe if you can see far enough ahead, but most certainly not if following a vehicle that constrains your distance vision in that lane.
M

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 02:38:23 PM »

BEV's must be capable of being towed, because Engineering Explained, a great YouTube site did a feature on charging a Tesla (TM3 I think) by towing it behind a Ford Raptor pickup.

The results were hilarious, one towed lap of the track (where they did it) provided the Tesla with enough energy to do 5.6 laps (at 310Wh/mile).

The Raptor's fuel efficiency was trashed, reducing it from 10.7 miles per gall(US) to just 3.5 miles, but the funniest part is that the Tesla would then be able to drive 18 miles, so the Raptor will do 10.7 miles, or the Raptor plus towed Tesla in total could do 21.5 miles.

Not sure what the lesson is exactly, but flippin hilarious.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
JohnS

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 05:01:53 PM »

SMART Motorways are currently being reviewed more widely at a Ministerial level, and a temporary pause has been put on roll-out of planning for new Smart Motorways, as the figures are showing that with national deployment, the rates of near misses, and accidents involving stranded vehicles, are significantly higher on Smart Motorways with all lane running than "normal" motorways.   Most vehicles are still ICE vehicles, and most drivers don't know how to coast or use limp-home mode in ICE vehicles.  With no hard shoulder, vehicles are just stopping and being abandoned in any one of the live running lanes.   Also, review of driver behaviour shows that most drivers disregard the closed lane signs as most drivers simply don't believe the signs, or don't believe there's a risk. This again increases the accident potential.  Lastly, unlike the smart motorway trial on the M42 where refuge areas were every 400-600m, so one was always visible, they're now being deployed every 2 miles - so drivers who are in a breaking down vehicle simply don't know or think they can make it to one, so they stop and abandon.

The FUD that is now being spread on top of all of that is to imply that the stranding risk applies only to EVs, which is clearly bull.   All EVs have a neutral gear mode, so they can coast. All EVs provide ample warning of low battery scenarios.  And most of the emergency recovery from Smart Motorways is done on a flatbed to get the vehicle out of the way ASAP, so even if it were "locked", it can be moved as quickly as a stranded ICE vehicle.

Sadly when I drive on a motorway, I often see what appear to be unnecessary signs.  Eg 4 or 5 50 mph signs in a row when while traffic is light and then end with no sign of what was the cause.  Or last Saturday on the M25, lots of gantries with 'workforce in the road' lit up and no sign of any works vehicles.  The Highways Agency appear to be completely unaccountable to anyone.  No wonder some do not trust the signs.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2020, 10:33:48 AM »

I was on a driver training course last week and the point about speed restrictions in roadworks was raised.
The question was "why is there a speed restriction?"
The answer from the floor - "to protect the workers".   
The follow-on comment "so there shouldn't be a speed restriction when they're not working"...

The response was "it's also to protect you and your vehicle through the roadworks - most motorway roadworks operate with width restrictions in the outside 2 lanes and you wouldn't want somebody passing you at 80mph in a narrowed lane".

Fair point.  There are a lot of muppets on the road.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
MR GUS

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2020, 02:29:24 PM »

Which sadly doesn't stop many car drivers  & large commercial vehicles pulling off high speed overtaking of cyclists & horses in similar narrow lane scenarios sadly.
Guess it affects roadworks contract prices compared to regular roadkill manslaughter ..& we can't be having that eh !? 🤔

(Slows down for cyclists, pedestrians, nature in its many guises, ..not that we were hoofing it in the 1st place) 😉

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Tinbum

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 12:05:52 PM »

Death or serious liver damage by intended, or accidental, paracetamol overdose is a remarkably easy thing to trigger, so the restrictions on paracetamol volume purchasing are a relatively low-inconvenience measure to prevent serious harm.

The BMJ reports that rates of paracetamol-death have fallen 43% since the packaging and numbers of packets restriction measures were introduced, and a 61% reduction in rates of liver transplants.   I'd say an effective and very low-cost health intervention. Death from paracetamol overdose still claims over 120 lives a year, and suicide is the number 1 cause of death in males aged under 40. 

The other option would be to mandate the paracetamol overdose antidote is added to every OTC paracetamol tablet, which could be done, but would massively increase the cost of the tablets, so will never happen.

I was only talking to a nurse the other day about this and was surprised to find it only takes 6 tablets taken together to cause damage to the liver.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 01:11:02 PM »

Yep, and if you've been drinking alcohol its even less.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: