navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Citroen Ami  (Read 1694 times)
daveluck_uk

« on: March 01, 2020, 09:13:34 PM »

Anybody else quite like the look of this?

It would suit us out here. The range would be enough fior me to get to  the nearest major town ( about 25 miles there and back )

There are loads of the little diesel powered Axiom cars floating around so the speed isn't an issue as everybody is used to these type of cars.

I can get the Mrs in it and a couple bags of shopping.

We only have winding country roads with little constant traffic.

Can be charged within 4 hours.

Greenbeast

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 07:44:59 AM »

Looks like a slightly better designed Twizy
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »

Bittersweet.

The twizy is great (doorless in the main, but great, rendered ineffective via the battery rental which damned sales from the outset).

The smart (450) the original in recent times long door, 2 seater citi-car (& beyond) park it nose to the kerb hope for urban transport, & utterly failed (thanks Mercedes Benz & Daimler) because its accountants wanted rid of the burden (I think) of the long loss maker, so didn't update the battery, which hasn't improved the range, which hasn't helped its price & competition in the meantime, a smart fortwo EQ fully loaded for the modern market is around 30k ..so folk are being told to try the modern A-class by smart / merc dealers.

Numptyism.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
daveluck_uk

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »

Hmmm...the Ami costs less than 6000. That makes it very accessible.

It's not designed for motorway madness or voyages of discovery. So 40 miles should be enough although I'm wondering what its actual range is once you load it up, turn on the heating and the lights on a cold dark morning.

It's fully enclosed which is a bonus.

Horses for courses I suppose.
marshman

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 02:10:14 PM »

Thought it looked OK and at 6k price is right, 40 odd mile range can be lived with for a run around BUT and it is a big BUT  28MPH max.  Sorry but that is too slow, bordering on dangerous on some roads round here - I'm not a speed demon but on a fast A road you need the capability of 50mph really, 40 at a push. The only roads linking our local village are fast A & B roads.  Shame but one day someone will produce something that ticks all the boxes.

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
Stig

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 02:47:33 PM »

It's targeted at the French "voiture sans permis" market which is why it's speed limited.  I guess they could make a higher speed version for export markets but it's likely the max range would be lower at 50mph than 30mph.
MR GUS

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 02:53:38 PM »

What Marshman said.

Country roads, the reason so many kids get bought cars instead of push bikes, motor scooters & motorbikes
Fast n dangerous, often unlit, pot holed  close pass overtaking deemed ok on other people & their kids, just not your own.

The Ami would be unnerving after about five minutes of being overtaken constantly, ...you know how folk curse tractors? well.....

(a real shame)

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »

Colin Furze could do a little job on it with a couple of elastic bands, a camogie stick and a candle.
I love it but you would need a large portrait of either the Pope or Putin stuck to the back of it to keep from getting bowled over the hedge.
  It is a massive step in the right direction and that the truth, just another 25mph st least and a couple of nice fluffy pillows behind the front and rear bumpers.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
marshman

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 05:32:58 PM »

The Ami would be unnerving after about five minutes of being overtaken constantly, ...you know how folk curse tractors? well.....

(a real shame)

The tractors around here do 35 mph, I used to be able to latch on to the back and slip stream them when out on my road bike as they used to top out at around 28mph, at 35 mph the are just too fast - or I am getting too old and too slow Grin

But you are right people get annoyed at being held up for 5 seconds behind them, I think a Citroen Ami would be in danger of getting in the way of some cyclists as well!

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
MR GUS

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 06:08:30 PM »

Yeah, I'm from a time before they were as tall as an intercity 125 & didn't cost 250,000 apiece.

Plus dependant upon season & other variables, speed when tractoring just isn't safe, especially considering the tyre type, adhesion from field material & "flick distance / duration"

(damned either way).

A big difference I'm seeing re the Ami, is "social media" highlighting style aspects of this to get upload numbers (sod the material quality) exemplified by some blonde girl who kept mentioning what a rolls royce had.

This in contrast to how the world & motor journalism was when the Twizy  / leaf first came along, ....the same perceived "problems" that held mainstream EV back  until tesla broke the mould isn't so present, even the 3 pin plug was a "wow statement"

(shakes head in confusion).

PS I love our Smart 450, I think now may be the time to buy a 30 per year "road tax" 1 litre (or less) smart fortwo citi-folk, so much else being phased out by city government that the micro cars are avoiding.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »

It's targeted at the French "voiture sans permis" market which is why it's speed limited.  I guess they could make a higher speed version for export markets but it's likely the max range would be lower at 50mph than 30mph.

Coming ere with yer fancy pants forin speak la-de-da city ways Stig!?   Grin

I guess the quadricycle has weight class limit for the variant, limiting design features & battery size (more weight) ..the original twizy was also deemed a "14 year olds will ((can)) technically drive the lower speed version, ..wonder how many they sold of the lower powered one & how many kids did?

The Twizy allowed "brief acceleration to max" but not holding it there over 60 seconds as I recall, obviously that affects range battery depletion, & the boxy Ami doesn't look aerodynamic (I would like to be wrong).

I don't think sensible micro cars for London & other big cities has come of age sadly regardless of speed limitations set by councils / jams, that would be too much to hope for.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:22:54 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
oliver90owner

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 06:37:17 PM »

Crash resistance results might be lower if they could go faster?
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 06:40:20 PM »

Cool  love it! Pretty sure the French boyracerers will tune it up  hysteria

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
M

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 06:49:22 PM »

For city driving, with no limits over 30mph, and many at 20mph (here) it sounds fine at 28mph ..... but but but does it get up to that speed quickly or not, say from traffic lights, or would it cause some irritation? If it's peppy enough, then looks great, I think?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
daveluck_uk

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 07:06:31 PM »

It would work well here.

There are 5 Types of vehicles where we are

1. Tractors
2. Axiom / speed limited ice
3. Ice driven by considerate country folk who understand the needs of 1 and 2
4. Ice driven by individuals who might as well be driving 1 or 2

And

5. stupid idiots who drive  ice like they stole it, think they own the roads and regularly appear on the front page of the local rag being fished out of a colvert, or as an unrecognisable lump of metal, smashed into any r all of 1-4 above, dead, severely injured etc.

The roads here don't really allow for high speed. Although 50  or even 40 mph would be better. Also 60 miles range does seem so much better than 40.

But it still appeals

If I don't take my push bike by the time I get to my local shops the engine isnt even warm.

This for a slow ( but quicker than my bike ) trip to the shops along pleasant well maintained country roads and back seems almost perfect. Especially given the sub 6000 price.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: