navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Model Y - it's depressingly big  (Read 1419 times)
dan_b

SW London

« on: March 12, 2020, 10:36:52 AM »

We all know how colossal the Model X is. But it seems the Model Y is not far different in terms of bulk.
This bloke has filmed one parked up next to the Volvo XC90, which is, in the UK at least, a colossal vehicle on our roads. Seems the Y is essentially the same size.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/11/tesla-model-y-standing-next-to-volvo-xc90-looks-like-a-midsized-suv-video/

I'm so sick of SUVs.  I know they sell like hot cakes and seem to be cash cows for the manufacturers, but you'd like to think with the massive focus on emissions fines and efficiency required to meet new regulations that the bloated SUV format would start to die off?   I'd love to see the return of the estate car as the "big family stuff mover" of choice.  Surely there would be demand for a Model 3 Estate?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
GarethC

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 10:50:08 AM »

But at least the Model Y is -far- more aerodynamic and efficient than other SUVs. I too would prefer an estate, but in the meantime (had I the funds) this would seem the best available (or at least soon to be).
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »

True - I guess if someone simply must have an SUV it would be better for it to be a Model Y than an X5.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
kdmnx

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 11:37:51 AM »

Americans stopped buying estates (wagons) completely a decade ago. Saloons (sedans) too, more recently. The rest of the world has followed.

Millennials are buying cars now and they ONLY want "lifestyle" vehicles. They don't even care if they can go offroad. 

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 11:43:42 AM »

Yes I know, but then the Model 3 has come out and is selling by the absolute bucketload, so people will buy "sedans" if they're good enough.

Look at this though - someone's done a render of what a Model 3 Wagen could look like - who wouldn't want this?!

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-cool-wall-tesla-model-3-estate-GT7kocKuTpaY293TYvC4tA?iid=cpe4VxtBQcCittNSyGQXIQ

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
JohnS

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »

The only dimension that is wrong, in my view, is the width but that is only 41mm wider (mirrors in normal position) than the model 3, so it is hardly a big deal.

It is only 9mm wider, 85mm lower and 56mm longer than my present car, a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and that car was shorter and narrow than my Passat estate (2006 model).

It is still top of my list when I come to change cars in a year or two.  Tesla's track record, range and charging infrastructure are so far ahead of their rivals.  The Jaguar I pace has poor range, despite its rated range, and the Polestar 2 has yet to make an appearance.  The VW ID Crozz is still virtual.  They are, or are likely to be, more expensive and suffer from lack of charging infrastructure.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 04:29:21 PM »

Bear in mind that it is primarily an American car, with the option to sell abroad, so to them it is an average size. I don't know how it compares to a mundano, jag, bm, merc, or big vauxhall, but probably similar I'd imagine.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Greenbeast

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 04:45:33 PM »

I hope they release the model they're planning on designing in China, from the artists initial sketch it would be much more suitable over here
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 05:05:23 PM »

That China small Tesla was a sketch by a Tesla "fan", not an actual Tesla-penned design.

As to the Y - well imagine the Model 3 but made much taller and somewhat fatter.  The Model 3 is about the same size as a BMW 3/4 series/ Audi A4/5.  But as per the post, the Model Y is about the same size as the Volvo XC90 which is for the European market a huge jalopy. Think BMW X5/ Audi Q7 and you're not far off.  So also very similar in size to the eTron and EQC.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
JohnS

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 05:38:20 PM »

I don't know the basis for saying that the Model Y is the same width as a Volvo XC90.

Tesla MY width inc mirrors    = 2088mm   https://insideevs.com/news/403570/tesla-model-y-specs-size-cargo/

Volvo XC90 width inc mirror  = 2140mm   https://www.volvocars.com/intl/cars/new-models/xc90/specifications/dimensions

Volvo is 52mm wider.

Never trust a journalist

JohnS

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 06:12:17 PM »

What I don't understand is why aren't Tesla releasing dimension data for the Model Y?  What are they hiding?

What would happen if someone bought one and found it did not fit into a garage because they could not check the dimensions before confirming their purchase? 

Misrepresentation?

Greenbeast

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 09:29:01 PM »

That China small Tesla was a sketch by a Tesla "fan", not an actual Tesla-penned design.

That they then included in an official recruitment advert?

Although, upon reading, i see Musk intends it to be China designed and made "for worldwide consumption", which raises my hopes
knighty

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »

I appreciate smaller is lighter and (normally) more aerodynamic so more efficient

but at the same time the bigger the car is the more room you have for batteries

a car half the size will probably have room for a lot less than 1/2 of the batteires

I bet there's some kind of optimal sweet spot, where you have the best ration of size/wright/battery capacity

the suv 'shape' is probably one of the optimal ones for electric cars, you need it to be taller so the entire floor can be batteries and you can lift everything else up on top of them
Countrypaul

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »

I appreciate smaller is lighter and (normally) more aerodynamic so more efficient

but at the same time the bigger the car is the more room you have for batteries

a car half the size will probably have room for a lot less than 1/2 of the batteires

I bet there's some kind of optimal sweet spot, where you have the best ration of size/wright/battery capacity

the suv 'shape' is probably one of the optimal ones for electric cars, you need it to be taller so the entire floor can be batteries and you can lift everything else up on top of them

The "sweet spot" will be partialy the car design but also predominately how it is used. To take two extremes, if the car is used for a 5 mile run to and from school twice a day a small battery will be more than adequate, if it is used to commute 150 miles to London and back daily, a large battery might be required.  It is unfortunate that the school run is more likely to use a large car, and long distance commuting a smaller car - exactly the opposite of the best option for batteries.
dickster

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 10:46:45 AM »

Keen Tesla Fan Boy that I am, I've just bought the Chinese MG ZS EV. This was the first EV that had the ride height and suspension needed for our track and ford. A Tesla might have done, but no-way am I going to spend that much money on what is, after all, just a car.

MG is OK, a bit nut and bolty, but still has far too many whistles and bells for the likes of me. I get a warning bong and screen message to warn me that the warnings are switched off! Brilliant.

Still, I can now commute to work and back in a favourably up my own ar*e manner.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: