navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small 2 stroke generator repair advice  (Read 1847 times)
daveluck_uk

« on: February 29, 2020, 09:52:42 AM »

Hi,

I've picked up a small generic Chinese generator (for free!)

Talking to the guy I got it from he said it was a pain to start but once running it was ok.

However due to the starting issues he stopped using it.

It has sat in his shed for nigh on 10 years.

There is liquid in the tank which I'm going to suggest is useless 10 year old fuel.

So, having never stripped down and cleaned a 2 stroke engine ( I've tagged with car engines etc ) where do I start?

Because it's my first time I need some Noddy instructions...any takers out there?

Cheers

Dave

TT

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 10:21:01 AM »

I think you tube is the best starting point

Served me well when my recoil rope snapped!
Plenty to choose from and I find it easier to watch someone do it rather than read about it.

Good luck
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »

hmm ,  bloody anoying for me sometimes  when the chainsaw is not starting  at  clients  garden ....

air filter might need cleaning !
sparkplug needs to be checked if clean ( wire brush helps) ,  test if there is a spark by  touching the plug onto the metal frame and pull the starting rope ...

fill in a tiny dose of petrol  where the sparkplug is screwed into engine ...

check if the petrol supply tube is  in good shape , cause some old tubes where relying on lead  in fuel to not corrode ....

while sparkplug is out pull the startingrope and see if there is fuel/air moistening the carburetor /engine

If there is an on/of button , check those contacts

If still no start .... go  for a pint and bring it into the service station Smiley

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
daveluck_uk

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 02:27:07 PM »

Thanks guys.

I'm pondering wether to remove the engine and see if I can't fit the generator to work with my 2 wheeled tractor.

I guess I'd have to find some way of increasing the PTO speed of the tractor with larger pulley / years. I think it only runs 450 rpm or something.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 03:16:26 PM »

:hi Dave.
        Don't  split it yet. Billi,s  advice is good but first take out plug and put a dose of WD40  down the plug hole.
  Then spray the internals of the carb with carb or injector cleaner. Lift of the tank and give the inside a good cleaning, removing the exit filter and tap and cleaning same . Turn engine gently and give it another dose of WD40. At this point, you are not going to start it but just make the cleaning easier. Once the injector cleaner  gets to work  it should free the solidified 2 stroke mix from the jets and parts if it sits overnight.
   It will start, dont worry,  don't  split it or over rev it when it starts. You could have a few extra plugs on hand  a little extra oil in the mix and a little Emery paper to clean the ignition contacts.
  Have fun
           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
daveluck_uk

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »

:hi Dave.
        Don't  split it yet. Billi,s  advice is good but first take out plug and put a dose of WD40  down the plug hole.
  Then spray the internals of the carb with carb or injector cleaner. Lift of the tank and give the inside a good cleaning, removing the exit filter and tap and cleaning same . Turn engine gently and give it another dose of WD40. At this point, you are not going to start it but just make the cleaning easier. Once the injector cleaner  gets to work  it should free the solidified 2 stroke mix from the jets and parts if it sits overnight.
   It will start, dont worry,  don't  split it or over rev it when it starts. You could have a few extra plugs on hand  a little extra oil in the mix and a little Emery paper to clean the ignition contacts.
  Have fun
           Biff

Cheers Biff.

I love free stuff...spotted this only because I had to move the junk that was on top of it to get to my free SWA cable. "You can have that. It doesn't work". Cool.

My shed has about 6 or 7 strimmers ( all 2 stroke ) that dont work and all acquired free. I've no idea what I'm going to with them or even if I'm ever going to look at them. It's just quite reassuring that they are there!

The generator looks like quite a nice little unit, 750w output and a little 12v output too. But it'll power a few lights and the coffee machine. Right now I've absolutely no need for it but you never know!

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »

The best tip that I could give you about running your new geni is to turn the tap off and let it use up all the fuel in the little carb each time that you put it away. B n Q used to sell a little 750kw 2 stroke. They were cheap and cheerful. The alloy in that little rotary fuel tap used to perish and leak. They are easily replaced and still sold on fleabay for £ 3,00
or less. It was the 750watt model with the  yellow tank that had the taps that crumbled like crunchie.
 They were good little genis rather noisy but very reliable apart from that tap..
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 05:33:11 PM »

I would fit a new spark plug as a matter of course .
New fuel , clean carb , clean air filter .
If you hate pull starters use a drill with a socket on the flywheel nut......
George.
daveluck_uk

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 09:16:39 PM »

Thanks everybody. The thing is now sitting on the workbench ready to be the next thing that gets played with on rainy days.

If I'm ever get it started ill let you know. ( Rain forecast for the next 2-3 days so unless I'm directed elsewhere I might have it running by next weekend )

daveluck_uk

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 01:59:32 PM »

Yay!!!!

Thankyou Coronavirus!

We are in total lock down here for the next 15 days....to be honest it makes no difference to us - we go weeks already without seeing/speaking to another soul.

Anyways...stripped the thing down, sprayed carb cleaner every where, drained the tank which contained just the bright red 2 stroke oil. I guess the petrol just evaporated.

New spark plug and.....it works!!

Runs really smooth, not too smokey, quite quiet and will give me 750w and some 12v.

Well pleased.

Afterwards I tried the old spark plug. It was a Bosch and despite the ages it looked like new and it looked clean. I found that the spark was very intermittent and not very strong when it was sparking. So I guess that was the issue all along.

Very happy!
oliver90owner

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »

These chinese engines often designate more oil in the fuel than others.  If it runs rich, that oil tends to clog the spark arrestor in the silencer.  Iíve seen some that have had the spark plug completely filled with soot/carbon deposits.

Lube the non-drive end of the generator, too. That is often over-looked.   
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 11:02:14 PM »

Brilliant result, fingers crossed!
                      Biff

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 11:07:30 PM »

garden

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 06:05:09 AM »

genuflect

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: