navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whither the Ultrabattery  (Read 1649 times)
noah

« on: March 17, 2020, 12:45:19 PM »

The ultrabattery has been around for some time now but does not seem to be actually available.
If the reports are true then it has large advantages over the lead/acid battery and no great difficulties in manufacture.
But on ebay I can get a million SLA`s but zero Ultras.
Failure of the market?
Overhyped product?
RIT

South West London

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »

The ultrabattery has been around for some time now but does not seem to be actually available.
If the reports are true then it has large advantages over the lead/acid battery and no great difficulties in manufacture.
But on ebay I can get a million SLA`s but zero Ultras.
Failure of the market?
Overhyped product?

More just a product with a limited market. Combining a battery with ultracapacitors allows the solution to better handle very short term high current loads and charging, but in most situations, the same can be done by just installing a larger battery. The larger battery then has the ability to handle the short term load, higher charge rates, as well as more overall capacity.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
oliver90owner

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »

Mad Electron Engineering (on u-toob), among others, has used super capacitors for starting his car for a couple of years.  Uses a typical security alarm size battery as a power supply to charge the capacitors.  Likely wouldn’t work too well for a diesel with heater plugs in cold weather.🙂
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:03:17 PM by oliver90owner » Logged
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 04:11:55 PM »

sounded good at the time , and i spent hours , to get information .... ,  and again nowadays i still stick to my lead acid traction battery and big PV  agenda , will see, how my electric bike , convince me of those tiny tampon size cells .... norfolk that need electronic gear  i cant handle

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
noah

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 08:04:16 PM »

More just a product with a limited market. Combining a battery with ultracapacitors allows the solution to better handle very short term high current loads and charging, but in most situations, the same can be done by just installing a larger battery. The larger battery then has the ability to handle the short term load, higher charge rates, as well as more overall capacity.

Well yes - but as far as I can see the advantage of the UB was that it would cycle many more times than LA and also be less likely to get damaged by over discharge.
I`ve just replaced - for the 4th time in 10 years- batteries on my waterwheel control panel because of running them flat by mistake (7AH SLA batts)  and this is just the sort of thing that an UB should guard against.
Also forklift will need a  new set and I`d much rather pay a bit more (tho as it`s just a bit of graphite added I can`t see why they should be more expensive than standard LA) for a battery capable of 5/10,000 cycles instead of 1000
RIT

South West London

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:44:27 PM »

Being a low volume product did not help much as it made solutions costly. The only one I looked into was a solution from the company behind the design called Ecoult, who would talk about how their solution was so much better than standard AGM batteries (but so are lemons Smiley and a major price tag of around $23,000 in the USA (found on the internet today) for a 20kWh unit as it was marketed at corporates. At that type of price, you can use Li batteries or a very large traction battery array.

This report sums up their issues

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/ecoult-returns-to-multi-megawatt-battery-market

After coming to market with their product they targetted grid-scale energy storage, but Li took much of the available business.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
oliver90owner

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 01:02:24 AM »

I`ve just replaced - for the 4th time in 10 years- batteries on my waterwheel control panel because of running them flat by mistake (7AH SLA batts)  and this is just the sort of thing that an UB should guard against.
Also forklift will need a  new set and I`d much rather pay a bit more (tho as it`s just a bit of graphite added I can`t see why they should be more expensive than standard LA) for a battery capable of 5/10,000 cycles instead of 1000

Personally, I would not buy/install a battery system that did not have a low-voltage cut off.  Even our 15 year old car auto-turns off the power if the ancillaries are left switched on (excluding parking lights!).  Lead acid batteries should not, ideally, be discharged by more than 50% (10% is better), unless specially designed traction cells or similar, and should be returned to full charge ASAP, to avoid sulphation.  7Ah batteries are cheap, compared to ruined ‘car battery’ sized versions which would suffer the same fate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: