navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EV chargers with PV  (Read 1318 times)
RIT

South West London

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 08:18:40 PM »

I feel the Zappi is too clever for its own good, too light weight to be left outside (have they heard off electrolitic corrosion) and too expensive and will end up the same way as Immersun.
Ken

Their design is going to depend on what coating has been applied to the motherboards to protect against corrosion. There case design while being plastic is no better or worse than the cases used for many inverters that can be installed outside (or cars) - they all depend on nice warm dry weather once in a while to remove moisture build-up, which can a bit of a problem in the good old UK Smiley

The cost is a different issue and something unexpected for the manufactures - when all these solutions were being designed and priced we had electricity heading to 20p per kWh and PV owners being paid on the FiTs 50% deemed export. Octopus' tariffs have changed that, especially for newer PV installs where they can sell their PV to Octopus for 5.5p per kWh and purchase gas at around 2.5p per kWh. There is zero reasons to purchase a hot water diverter and the benefits of an advanced EV charger are greatly reduced.

Even with getting FiTs payments for my PV output I'll be looking at the pros and cons of switching to Octopus' export payments, but I first need a sunny month to understand the pros and cons of my real export vs my deemed export.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
brackwell

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 07:16:47 AM »

I struggle with that.
Take 2 eg for 1 kwh of PV production

1) I sell it to the leccy co for 5.5p

2) I use it at home.  Get paid c 5p/2 and it substitutes a unit kwh i would have to buyat c16p  Or a lesser amount for night use leccy or gas.   and please remember that in the non ch period a gas boiler does not achieve better than 50% efficiency (as per Energy Trust report)

Ken
JohnS

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 10:15:49 AM »

I take a nice simple approach to solar for EVs.

I mainly charge with the 'granny charger' as it is about 2kW and in summer I set the timer to charge between 11am and 3pm.  This maximises solar input into the battery, albeit at the expense of less PV into the HWC.  In winter, I set the timer for midnight to 5am.

Occasionally, I will override the timer and go for immediate charge, sometimes using the 3.6kW charger that got installed when I got my hybrid.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
RIT

South West London

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 10:48:11 AM »

I struggle with that.
Take 2 eg for 1 kwh of PV production

1) I sell it to the leccy co for 5.5p

2) I use it at home.  Get paid c 5p/2 and it substitutes a unit kwh i would have to buyat c16p  Or a lesser amount for night use leccy or gas.   and please remember that in the non ch period a gas boiler does not achieve better than 50% efficiency (as per Energy Trust report)

Ken

That's why I said the Octopus tariff as that drastically changes the electricity kWh cost - I'm averaging around 8p per kWh at the moment and have no real load that I can use overnight such as an EV when the cost is often even lower.

The use of Octopus' export tariff for PV generation only makes sense if you have a non FiTs based PV install or you can export a much greater percentage of your generation than the 50% deemed export used in the FiTs calculation.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
knighty

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 09:49:40 AM »

can you not use a zappi to charge the car (which you want to be the priority anyway)

then setup a PV diverter, but increase the amount it lets be exported before it imports anything?

so if the zappi lets 50watts be exported before it does anything, set the water heater diverter to 100watts?

zappi will charge car whenever it can, once car is charged anything more than the first 100watts will heat water?

if there's no option to do that.... I think someone here tricked the current clamps on their meter tails by running an extra wire through the clamp which detects how much power you're using... iirc it was the wire for their router or something?  - so it's effectively measuring that twice
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: