navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: direct charging a 48 volt el. bike  (Read 762 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: March 18, 2020, 05:59:49 PM »

so .... what would happen if i get  2 , about 30 volt VMPP  Modules and paralell them to about 60 Volt and charge my 48 volt battery directly  ? the BMS uis in the Battery pack , or do u think its the external charger, that has the brain ?

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
daveluck_uk

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »

Hey Billi, this is something I'm particularly interested in.

I've been looking for a while now but find conflicting responses.

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/49802/charging-ebike-battery-with-solar

But there are a few instructables out there that do show it is possible.

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »

Well Dave ,  on one hand i should exactly know what to do , but on the other, i think i should ask  around , sofar ,  i did not come close to a realistic idea , most Americans for sure, tell me to get 1 or 2 batteries more ,  to carry with me  whistlie , but that does not work with my intention  to not needing  a plug ,

well i guess i have to  search for 48 volt solar charge controllers and  may  have to think about MPPT again , happy days  garden

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
chris_n

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 10:01:28 PM »

BMS is in the battery, fully charged a 48v Li battery is at 54v so charge voltage should be kept close to this. Current must also be limited, depending on the size of the battery to maybe 2A. If you push to much current in you can not only stress the batteries but also overheat the balance resistors in a cheap BMS.
Depending on the manufacturer of your bike / motor it is possible that some handshaking is required between the battery and the charger. Should be ok if there are only 2 contacts in the plug.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 10:10:02 PM »

thanks  garden     yes i agree , why would i try harder to  faster charge , mine came with a  charger  b that needs about 6 hours to charge the batt from 0tofull

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: