navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus and electricity demand across Europe  (Read 966 times)
dan_b

SW London

« on: March 20, 2020, 09:08:27 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/power-demand-slows-in-europe-along-with-coronavirus-lockdowns?cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-energy&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=energy&utm_medium=social

Worth a read - I can imagine this is one of the few positive outcomes of this global shut-down, global emissions will fall from all human activities.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Countrypaul

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »

CO2 and NO2 levels falling as you suggest from a reduction in travel etc.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51944780
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 10:16:28 AM »

Fewer people are out on the roads, fewer aeroplanes flying, fewer people on cruise liners and the price of oil falling due to reduced demand.

dan_b

SW London

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »

will probably see very cheap electricity prices on Agile too as wind (and solar) is on the way back again and if demand is going to be suppressed for a while...

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 10:36:37 AM »

Absolutely  Philip,
             We live on a main country road. A main traffic artery. Traffic has cut right back these past few weeks.
Petrol is down at least 30cents a litre but most people here are staying around home.
           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 04:13:43 PM »

https://www.rechargenews.com/transition/-germany-to-reach-2020-climate-target-on-coronavirus-and-mild-winter-/2-1-778607

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
phoooby

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 04:20:52 PM »

Oil price has crashed because the Saudi's have engaged in an all out price war by walking out of the last OPEC meeting and upping production to 12 mbbd to swamp the market. They apparently do not seem to care if it goes down to single figure $ per barrel as long as it inflicts the desired effect or Russia, Opec members, fracking, and tar sands. It strikes me that they saw an opportunity of low demand anyway with COV19 and decided to pull the supply lever wide open at the same time to give a bigger impact on price. Interesting times we live in. 

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
dimengineer

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 06:03:10 PM »

"May you live in Interesting times" is apparently an old chinese curse. They don't mean "interesting" in a good way  Cry

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 08:37:09 PM »

You are right Phooby,
Oil was heading down in price without the Saudis starting a spat with Russia because they wont reduce production their oil production pro rata. Bit childish really.( Look at their leaders, enough said.)
The Saudi Arabians big lever, will in my opinion fade rapidly in about three years hence due to the ongoing depletion of the Ghawar super giant oil field. ( I am drifting off topic). They will lose their ability to raise and sustain this level oil of production.

Germany will revert back to its polluting ways shortly when this episode dies down and re- invigerate coal burning at their power stations next year. Thus blowing away their 2020 carbon reduction target achievement.

Philip R
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 10:42:10 PM »

Well Philip , just get over those bloody Germans , not wanting Nuclear ,  sad i agree about the coal politics in Germany , but again this is politics  and again  more Renewables would be in place , if the politics there would be more forward  , that would then , completely demonstrate the unnecessarily to built nuclear power plants in Europe, like Hinkley Point C  in the Europe

and dont forget Fukushima , will cost Japan  about 1 trillion US $   and Japan is an Island

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/16/fukushimas-final-costs-will-approach-one-trillion-dollars-just-for-nuclear-disaster/

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:20:29 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
phoooby

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 01:36:40 AM »

in my opinion fade rapidly in about three years hence due to the ongoing depletion of the Ghawar super giant oil field

Maybe they will just randomly increase the declared recoverable reserves as they have done in the past ?. It must be well past peak by now assuming daily production and that the 1980/90's increase in reserve was pure BS to fiddle the OPEC figures. I seem to remember a netflix documentary years ago saying they were already pumping millions of gallons of seawater in each day to improve production.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
oliver90owner

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 10:08:11 AM »

I donít see any particular connection between volumes of seawater and size of reserves?
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »

Phooby, Interesting that a share of Aramco has  been put on the market for share flotation, way over value.
Satellite images show the jack pump derricks in the Ghawar are slowly moving inwards towards the centre. Thus showing that the sea water injection (oil sweep) is pushing the remaining recoverable reserves up the anticline, to a diminishing output of oil.

That is the reason we need everything, renewables and nuclear. When Ghawar disapears, and really signals that oil is really finite, this could turn the world economy upside down and even start a big war.
When Lehmann brothers crashed 11-12 years ago or so and precipitated the crash and ongoing recession/depression, and now the contagion.

Getting back on thread to electricity consumption: Cannot say that looking on Gridwatch templar at presenttrends and those of a few months ago that there has been a significant change. Other than low Nuclear output due to ongoing outages to look for more graphite block cracking at Hinkey and Hunterston PSs. Cheap wholesale gas prices and planned closures of Aberthaw and Fiddlers Ferry power stations very very soon.
Philip R

Billi, I have half German heritage myself, it pains me to see Germany throwing away a good chunk of its generating capacity. The German utilities did the hydrogen vent line mods which TEPCO dismissed for its BWR plants. A few tens of thousands of dollars not spent will result in Japan spending $Ts, as you say, plus the increased costs of importing hydrocarbon fuels.
I read somewhere that Japan is starting a coal power station building programme. I despair sometimes that any small efforts we in Europe are in vain.    
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 10:40:01 AM »

Oliver90owner,
Water injection is used to sweep oil out of sedimentary rock formations like sandstone or chalk/limestone.
It is rumoured that some of the saudi wells have a high seawater percentage content in them. (Book I read about 12 years ago Twilight in the Desert, By Matt Simmons.)

Philip R
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »

Philip , (not ) funny enough ,  there are  puplications right now, that say that, Germany will reach their  climate emission targets set in the past for 2020 , because of the mild winter and the Virus ....

* climate.jpg (258.04 KB, 1175x655 - viewed 111 times.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:41:26 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: