navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with my Sofar inverter  (Read 927 times)
Countrypaul

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 03:50:40 PM »

I had a quick flick through your manual, I thought it did not do parallel MPPT but yes I have had another look and as you copied to your last post, it does, so then it should be set to parallel and not independent. It does not say exactly how you connect the string to the inverter but usually you just connect one set if you have already paralleled them up.

Why would the inverter have a parallel mode if you were only to connect one set? Surely a parallel mode would require both connections in order to be parallel?

Cos that's what it says in the manual.

If the PV strings are connected in parallel outside the inverter, you should choose the "in parallel mode"

If you connected them together outside of the inverter you would only have one pair of cables to connect to the inverter.

I thought you were suggesting only connecting one pair to the inverter (because "it does not say exactly how to connect the string to the inverter") which is why I couldn't see why you suggested setting to parallel mode.
charlesd

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »

in its most basic sense if you have one wire and split it into 2 (assuming equal) wires wont the power be split evenly between them ?
charlesd

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 04:25:11 PM »

Some Success Smiley
I rootled around in the leftover bits box and found an unused connector of the right type so i took the one off the dodgy cable and replaced the connector and now I have voltage reporting on both inputs on checking the input mode it said it was in parallel now so maybe it adjusts automatically.
Anyway I feel I've got somewhere today now I need another nice sunny day tomorrow to see if I can get past the 3.5kw that it seems to have been stuck at.
Thanks all for your help 
supremetwo

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 07:01:56 PM »

Some Success Smiley
I rootled around in the leftover bits box and found an unused connector of the right type so i took the one off the dodgy cable and replaced the connector and now I have voltage reporting on both inputs on checking the input mode it said it was in parallel now so maybe it adjusts automatically.
Anyway I feel I've got somewhere today now I need another nice sunny day tomorrow to see if I can get past the 3.5kw that it seems to have been stuck at.
Thanks all for your help  

Dodgy connector is not unusual - had one on my system.

The fault was picked up the following day because I have two separate strings.

Installer said the crimp had failed due to insufficient compression.

charlesd

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 11:15:46 AM »

Some Success Smiley
Thanks all for your help  

Dodgy connector is not unusual - had one on my system.

The fault was picked up the following day because I have two separate strings.

Installer said the crimp had failed due to insufficient compression.

Yes I'm pretty sure the crimp was not great it came off all too easily.
Good news is it all seems back to normal now. Around 4.3kw at the moment and equally split across both mppt inputs.
Thanks again for all your help.

Fintray

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 12:33:41 PM »

Good to hear it was a simple fix.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
paul149

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »

Sometimes it is possible to get distracted when fault finding and one should always start with the very basics before moving on to more involved scenario's. Sometimes we actually want the fault to be what we 'think' it is going to be rather than following a logical sequence of elimination.
Glad it's sorted ( inevitably it had to be sometnhing 'simple' if no one has been interfering with system in the mean time) and about an easy/cheap a fix as you could get but as normal the diagnosis is the hard part!

Paul m.

3.5 kWp (14 x Sanyo H250E01 + SB3000TL) 225' (SW) at 35' Pitch Lat 51.30' (Bristol) Installed cost 2.63/Wp (Nov 2011) now with solarimmersion and 250L unvented dhw (Almost Zero gas input for DHW from Apr to mid Sep)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: