navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scottish electricity now 90% renewables  (Read 680 times)
brackwell

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 08:57:23 AM »

What a pity that gov reports get published which people fail to read before spouting off

If they had read the report they would have picked up  "13.0 GW of renewable electricity projects are consented and in the pipeline for development.  1.2 GW on these are under construction, most of which are offshore wind farms off the Moray Firth."  and then there is the Scotish Islands and more onshore.

Scotland is no where near the end of this journey which for them is a serious income stream which they need for their independence ambitions after the decline of oil and gas income and subsidies from England.

Once you have more than net 100% leccy you move into leccy heating and green hydrogen which is already beeing done in the Orkneys.  Hydrogen/electric ferries,cars etc
dimengineer

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 09:06:25 AM »

Just as an aside - I just checked Gridwatch (others are available  Grin) And given the current situation we've got Wind at 40% of eleccy (10GW). 40% !!. As the sun comes up and should give maybe 6,7,8 GW today, we should see something like 70% of electricity from Wind and Solar for a few hours.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
azps

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 10:33:59 AM »

Just as an aside - I just checked Gridwatch (others are available  Grin) And given the current situation we've got Wind at 40% of eleccy (10GW). 40% !!. As the sun comes up and should give maybe 6,7,8 GW today, we should see something like 70% of electricity from Wind and Solar for a few hours.

Yep, currently only 38% of demand being met by big old-fashioned kettles (gas, nuclear, biomass) - the rest from more modern, post-fire-age wind, solar, hydro; plus a bit from interconnectors.

It's only a small number of years ago that doubters were saying that renewables proponents didn't understand inertia, and that the grid just couldn't go with less than 50% synchronous supply. And now the grid routinely goes less than 50%.

dan_b

SW London

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 10:35:56 AM »

Looking at the EDF website it looks like we should have about 1.5GW of nuclear coming back on line in April too - if this shutdown carries on for a while with its suppression of demand continuing, and the weather continues to improve with spring here and summer on its way, the proportion of zero carbon generation on the grid could be getting to 75% or more?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
M

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »

What a pity that gov reports get published which people fail to read before spouting off

If they had read the report they would have picked up  "13.0 GW of renewable electricity projects are consented and in the pipeline for development.  1.2 GW on these are under construction, most of which are offshore wind farms off the Moray Firth."  and then there is the Scotish Islands and more onshore.

Scotland is no where near the end of this journey which for them is a serious income stream which they need for their independence ambitions after the decline of oil and gas income and subsidies from England.

Once you have more than net 100% leccy you move into leccy heating and green hydrogen which is already beeing done in the Orkneys.  Hydrogen/electric ferries,cars etc

Spot on. Critics focusing on the other energy demands before RE leccy has expanded to the point that it has displaced those too, is somewhat baffling to me. What I see is a nation proving what can be done, and setting milestone after milestone.

As an example, I love my BEV, and rolling them out at a rate where their additional leccy demand is less than the additional RE leccy each year seems to make more sense than doing it the other way around and burning ever more coal! I also assume that if BEV's could be rolled out faster, then Gov policies would (attempt to) scale up RE capacity rollouts accordingly.

I only wish Wales and England were competing with Scotland, but so far we aren't even in the same league.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
M

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 12:33:16 PM »

Obviously it goes without saying that actual generation will need to exceed 100% to account for storage losses, and acceptable waste/spill/curtailment when that option is the most economic.

Very clearly.  At times wind generation, for the whole of the UK, has been far below 1GW for hours on end.

Well that's a downer, I didn't know that.

In that case I guess the UK's plans to rollout 38-40GW of wind capacity, and nothing else, might not meet 100% of demand 100% of the time. That is the plan, right?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 08:02:34 AM »

Thread is locked after removing 5 posts to steady the ship.
Stan
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:23:48 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: