navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lowest demand?  (Read 1153 times)
dan_b

SW London

« on: April 12, 2020, 01:53:52 AM »

In modern times whatís the lowest demand on the U.K. Grid?

Donít ask why Iím awake at 2am but just now demand is showing below 20GW.  That seems particularly low, is this a record?  Obviously Coronavirus has completely changed everything and itís also getting warmer.  I see nuke is creeping back up too...

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
brackwell

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 07:57:08 AM »

The Nat Grid always predicts the summer min at around 18GW https://www.nationalgrideso.com/research-publications/summer-outlook.   They also produce a series of kind of " how well did we do" which give the actual figs but i cannot find it.  From memory only i think the min was 16.7 GW

What is/has changing of course is the peak.
brackwell

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 08:39:46 AM »

Found this.  "In July 2018, we saw the lowest transmission system demand  (TSD) on record at 16.3 GW  (actual demand based on actual weather including station load). This continued the downward trend in demand that we have seen on the transmission system since 2011, which has largely been due to an increase in distribution connected generation."
brackwell

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:10:50 AM »

In fact Nat Grid had the lowest of 18.64GW at 05.00 1/2hr period so possibly even went a little lower.   I cant imagine what it would have gone down to if there had been a strong wind.

Predicting 16.2 GW 05.00 tomorrow!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:13:10 AM by brackwell » Logged
azps

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 09:46:07 AM »

In modern times whatís the lowest demand on the U.K. Grid?

Donít ask why Iím awake at 2am but just now demand is showing below 20GW.  That seems particularly low, is this a record?  Obviously Coronavirus has completely changed everything and itís also getting warmer.  I see nuke is creeping back up too...

There are several different amounts of demand recorded at any one time. The one my site shows includes embedded demand, and has been down to 19.4 GW (21 July 2019).

The one that gets the headline is the consumption that the transmission system sees (Transmission System Demand, TSD), which gets reduced by PV and embedded wind, and so is lower. That's been down to 18.1 GW (27 May 2019, 2.30-3am).

Then there's the TSD that is reported in arrears for billing settlement, the I014_TSD, which has been down to a whisker under 17 GW, same period as TSD.

And there's National Demand (ND) which has been down below 16 GW (29 July 2018 5-6am).

Countrypaul

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 11:06:18 AM »

The one that gets the headline is the consumption that the transmission system sees (Transmission System Demand, TSD), which gets reduced by PV and embedded wind, and so is lower. That's been down to 18.1 GW (27 May 2019, 2.30-3am).

Any idea how much of that was embedded solar?  hysteria
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »

It's interesting because there are 3x nuclear generators scheduled to come back online about now, so another 1.5-2GW of "baseline nuke" to be added to the mix (unless coronavirus stops them being brought back?) - and with the wind forecast to pick up strongly again, we might see these very low demand periods see basically zero gas?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
M

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 03:52:09 PM »

Any idea how much of that was embedded solar?  hysteria

Never heard of moonshine?

And it must be pretty bright, because just like the sun, if you focus on it for too long, you can go blind.   whistlie

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: