navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: and finally !  (Read 1542 times)
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« on: March 29, 2020, 07:56:06 PM »

Following on from all the posts I have bored you with before and during the build of the new house, this weekend I got the final article in Self Build and Design Magazine who wanted to do a follow up on the Long Rig build.

www.stationbrae.uk

If you go to the main page there is a link to the PDF from the Magazine.

As last time, they sent a photographer around (pity it wasn't decent weather !!) and mostly my words but as it sort of finalises the design thought I'd share it and will only update should anything happen, hopefully not !

We are now on Octopus Agile and have applied for their Outgoing Tariff so once that kicks in will be interesting to see how it works.

We have now been in almost 8 months so once the 12 is up I will see how the power consumption has been over the year.

Although the ASHP was a bit of a leap of faith after the Pellet Boiler, after figuring out how best to make use of it, we found that although it takes a while to get up to temperature if its really cold outside, once there the house does stay cosy which we think is testament to the SIPS Panels and the Insulated Floor Construction. Definitely much better than Long Rig especially as there are absolutely NO draughts and the windows and doors are massively better regarding the insulation.

I like the apps which control everything. The Tesla Powerwall App is really useful at timing the power charging to the low rates and also gives a real good indication as to what the house is doing, giving readings of the PV Input, Grid Input and PowerWall Input/Output.

Also App for the UFH which means I can control each zone and thermostat if the outside temp jumps up or falls, it wet be long before we can try basically turning it off but with the outside temperatures more like winter at the moment may be a while yet ! Thats why I will be taking Stoker's once the 2 months is up.

When we designed the original layout, we did think about maybe installing a Log Burner once we knew how the ASHP was working in case it wasn't up to the job but we've don't' need that now because its not needed. There were a couple of days in January where the ASHP took a bit longer to react to my increase in temperature setting for the lounge which is double height, but we just popped the portable Calor Gas Heater on just in the Lounge for a couple of hours and that worked so no more expense for a log burner needed. All the other rooms are fine but the volume of air in the lounge made it harder to get up to temp, but as said above, once up to temperature it doesn't drop.

So although we are still learning we are definitely getting into it now and feel it is a much better house than Long Rig but if we hadn't done that firs tone, we wouldn't have known what to avoid this time around.

If anyone wants to know any more just let me know but I think this is a forum where there are a lot of members with massive and useful information of their own, which is where I got a good few ideas from so many thanks for all your input.

Now hope you all stay safe in our nice homes !!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:57:54 PM by russ_fae_fyvie » Logged

All finished so the new adventure now starts here !
pantsmachine

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 08:04:12 PM »

Congratulations, off to read the article!

Edit- Outstanding, you should both be very proud of each other. Excellent achievement!  genuflect
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:59:50 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

5.12kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wooden hot tub
RIT

South West London

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 10:02:16 PM »

Thanks for the link to the write-up, it makes great reading. I love the way that you have managed to build such a clean and elegant design, but it's a shame to hear that the equity release industry has failed to notice the changes to homes over the last 20+ years.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 06:26:51 AM »

Congratulations terrific achievement.
Looking forward to the article.

Kidwelly South Wales
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 11:38:44 AM »

Nice one Russ, its been a thread i've dipped in & out of (jealously).

Congrats, hope it sparks the flame in a few folk, especially mainstream designers & architects which eventually brings that price down & improves "lots" across the board.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
M

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 12:21:27 PM »

Well done.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
brackwell

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »

Well Done.

Which firm did you use for the SIPP panels?  Did one firm do the whole SIPP panel design and then just roll up and fit it. If not how was the work split up?  Was your architect experienced with SIPP houses?

Ken
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 02:55:27 PM »

Yeah to answer a couple of questions, the Equity Release thing was a real pain because we had no idea the Lenders were so intransigent, we overspent and had planned to recover it with that. Luckily we managed to get a retirement interest only mortgage for 5 years so its given us a bit of time to get something organised.

With regards to the SIPs supplier, it was a local Housebuilder (https://angushomes.com) who supplied them to our design layout, only got the Architect involved for the paperwork and finalise the drawings I made. So I produced the main layout (I am a Structural Engineer by trade) and passed it to Angus Homes and the Architect to get it all detailed, the Architect also involved a separate Structural Engineer to detail the foundations and a few of the steel beams we needed in the vaulted ceiling in the lounge and it all seemed to go really well.

dimengineer

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »

Hi,
I actually get Self Build Magazine. Which Issue is it in - or it the next one?

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 11:47:16 AM »

Its in the May Edition but I think they have delays getting out out due you you know what !

dimengineer

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 04:39:24 PM »

Its in the May Edition but I think they have delays getting out out due you you know what !

Thanks - I have the April edition and was scouring it to see something in Scotland.....

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: