navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertical PV.  (Read 522 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« on: March 30, 2020, 04:44:47 PM »

I’ve not seen this before.
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2020/03/30/french-german-alliance-for-vertical-pv/

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Barrie

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 05:00:23 PM »

Shouldn't they be fitting mirrors to the backs of the ones opposite  hysteria

Sorry, very old forum joke......

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
djs63

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 05:36:20 PM »

The article mentions “lots of space for cattle” but they would demolish everything whilst having a good scratch...

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »

good joke , Barrie , made me smile  Smiley

Anyway , when it comes to PV and land-use , i prefer the higher mounting idea , and grow things underneath , reduce tractor size (if a tractor is needed ) , and sure cattle are ambitious , to farm between PV

But  , i still think we do not need to cover farmland with PV , but if its done , it should be in a way, that the farmer ,  needs attraction to grow food and electricity

https://www.pv-magazine.com/press-releases/agrivoltaics2020-conference/

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
RIT

South West London

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:40:58 PM »

I guess it resolves the current issue seen where all the current deployed PV output peaks at the same time of day due to its south-facing deployment. So far the only PV time of day fee structure I have seen is the Octopus one aimed at consumers, but I would guess that commercial operators would also pay a premium for the generation that is outside of the 'standard' PV curve, especially if they are powering a 24-hour process such as H2 production.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
oliver90owner

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 12:49:21 AM »

Perhaps the french still refer to bovine, ovine, wife, children and anything else they might own, as cattle?
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 03:04:45 AM »

that was .... spot on.... political correct, Oliver ....  Grin whistlie

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
M

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 07:20:40 AM »

Quick check and it seems vertical PV generates approx 70% of 'ideal pitch', so this idea seems pretty interesting as it might be simpler than overhead PV. No idea which is better, but having multiple solutions can't be a bad thing, and generating leccy at farms seems like a good way to earn extra income, and hopefully encourage BEV tractors etc..

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 07:55:21 AM »

Quick check and it seems vertical PV generates approx 70% of 'ideal pitch', so this idea seems pretty interesting as it might be simpler than overhead PV. No idea which is better, but having multiple solutions can't be a bad thing, and generating leccy at farms seems like a good way to earn extra income, and hopefully encourage BEV tractors etc..

Does that 70% take into account that the panels generate when irradiated from the front or back ? i.e. can be orientated to maximise dawn/dusk production. And may have a flatter longer peak for production.

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 08:45:08 AM »

We have heard of see-through window PV film that lets enough light through to work by etc. If the back-to-back panels were a clear glass sandwich rather than black plastic backed, would enough solar energy penetrate to generate power from illuminating both sides of each panel?
From the wavelength to output graphs it can be seen that the bandwidth is quite broad across the visible light spectrum, tapering steeply at the blue end, less so towards the red end.
If panels were made that were sensitive to full-on sun one side, and residual sun the other, they would become more efficient. A suitable gap between panels would be needed for convective cooling.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
bxman

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 10:48:17 AM »

I think the point is that they are" bifacial n-PERT solar cells" and absorb photons from both sides at the same time .
with the vertical mounting they are intended  for generation at both ends of the the day and not at mid-day  when conventional panels are generating at their maximum .
M

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 11:35:35 AM »

Does that 70% take into account that the panels generate when irradiated from the front or back ? i.e. can be orientated to maximise dawn/dusk production. And may have a flatter longer peak for production.

Hiya that's just 'normal' PV mounted vertically and south facing, for Germany (the UK) and northern France, so I'd expect bi-facial to do better than that v's normal panels, but I've no idea if the percentage changes with bi-facial v's bi-facial.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 07:40:58 PM »

I thought I saw the late Steve McQueen aka Sgt Hilts, jumping over the fence on a triumph Motorcycle, escaping into Switzerland! (I Know, this is not southern Germany.)

Barrie, most of the forum members present now would not understand the bit about the mirrors. It was no joke at the time, never seen so much vitriol on the subject.

Saying that, The bi-facial panels might work quite well amongst some scatterred aluminium clad reflective buildings.
Philip R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: