navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Test your brain  (Read 1324 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« on: March 30, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »

Count every  "  F  " in the following text:

FINISHED  FILES ARE THE RE
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED  WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS... 
(SEE  BELOW)

HOW MANY ?

WRONG,  THERE ARE  6  --  no joke.
READ IT AGAIN !
Really, go Back and Try to find the  6 F's before you scroll down.

The reasoning behind is  further down.

The brain cannot  process "OF".

Incredible  or what? Go back and look again!!

Anyone who counts  all 6 "F's" on the first go is a genius.

Three  is normal, four is quite rare.

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 07:25:21 AM »

Apparently I'm not a genius, way to break it to me gently Tod.  Sad
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:52:17 PM by M » Logged

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Tigger

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 02:51:34 PM »

I was told many years ago to proof-read things backwards to prevent your brain making sense of mistakes and ignoring them, the same trick applies here. 

Read each word starting at the end of the sentence and working backwards and you see all the Fs Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
Westie

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 03:08:51 PM »

Another way that works for me is not to read it. Just scan for 'F'

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 04:46:25 PM »

The first time I scanned it I got 4 which included the bottom  Of . I was watching telly and then read it properly only getting 3. I knew that I had spotted 4 previously  but could not find the bottom Of after that.
   Weird.
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 06:05:20 PM »

Odd isn't  it I only saw 4.
Mrs T's mates to blame for that one. Smiley

Kidwelly South Wales
oliver90owner

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 06:32:22 PM »

Amazing.  Both myself and my wife failed.

Another ‘trick’ is to get someone to answer your questions as quickly as possible.  1x2, 2x2, 4x2.....up to 64 x2 then immediately ask them to “Name a vegetable”.  It is easy to predict the answer for the vast majority of people (who have not done it previously).  That answer must be embedded in people’s brains!

I used to ask maths pupils ‘trick’ questions to demonstrate “ read the question carefully before answering - ie ‘Answer the question asked’.  But never seen one like Tod’s dog.  He must have been clever. Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 06:35:36 PM »

Blame the Kidwelly Ladies for this

Kidwelly South Wales
Fintray

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 06:38:25 PM »

60 duh.
No make it 30 or something. fight
Or even 28
My brain cell hurts.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:42:29 PM by Fintray » Logged

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 06:54:35 PM »

Missed all 3 'of's on first one  Embarrassed

Second I'll go for 30 on the basis of BODMAS.... Oh Lord, that takes me back!

Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 07:04:44 PM »

Count every  "  F  " in the following text:

including this ?

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 07:07:09 PM »

Tod, I make that 43.

North Hampshire
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 07:14:10 PM »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:16:35 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 07:18:57 PM »

I did not answer this yesterday because I only saw 4 "F"s, and realising that I must be getting a bit thick as I get older.

I have just come back from walking the dog with my wife and marvelling at the tame
Rodent (Rat) running around in the hedgerow next to the busy pavement, as well as maintaining social distancing from all the other polite dog walkers.

I digress, I have just re-read the text again, and there they were, 6 "F"s. Amazing, I miust be partially "F" Blind.
Philip R
oliver90owner

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 07:33:43 PM »

The answer to that one is SIMPLE - if you write down ALL your workings.  

So many GCSE students would get it wrong because they did not write down all their workings - so no marks given for that question.  Likely those that wrote down all their workings would get three marks out of the four, for the question, even if they got the final answer wrong!

I remember giving  ‘A’ level students (GCSE maths failures) a previous GCSE maths paper as a test, to check their progress/ability.  One (disruptive) student finished early and achieved the decidedly poor result of around 36% (75% was the pass mark for them).  After insisting he wrote down every piece of his workings on his sheet, his mark increased to 68%, IIRC.  He was totally gobsmacked that he was so close to the pass mark.  He had failed his maths twice before and needed a pass for Uni entrance.

I wonder how many of us would have found all six “f’s if we had the opportunity to underline each entry before counting them?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:36:34 PM by oliver90owner » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: