navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hope those goods are taxed too  (Read 401 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: March 31, 2020, 01:13:27 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/31/climate-killing-products-should-come-with-smoking-style-warnings

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 07:48:16 PM »

Interesting point Billi.
My beef is that as an owner of a light van, a Vauxhall combo diesel. I have to pay annual tax of over £260 per annum.
The pretensious Mums and Dads whom drive their evil spawn to our neighbouring primary school in there Porsche Cayennes, BMWs and Jaguar whatevers, Wait for it, fitted with 4 exhaust pipe outlets pays less VED!!

More exhaust pipes!! If these are so virtuous to have and to boast about, then they should be taxed to their eyeballs. ( My little van has a single exhaust outlet on a single pipe). Moan over for now.
Philip R
oliver90owner

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 10:53:42 PM »

I donít suppose they keep them long enough to have to replace them (vehicles are likely only leased), but think what it would cost to replace that lot at dealership prices.🙂
RIT

South West London

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 11:09:34 PM »

Interesting point Billi.
My beef is that as an owner of a light van, a Vauxhall combo diesel. I have to pay annual tax of over £260 per annum.
The pretensious Mums and Dads whom drive their evil spawn to our neighbouring primary school in there Porsche Cayennes, BMWs and Jaguar whatevers, Wait for it, fitted with 4 exhaust pipe outlets pays less VED!!

More exhaust pipes!! If these are so virtuous to have and to boast about, then they should be taxed to their eyeballs. ( My little van has a single exhaust outlet on a single pipe). Moan over for now.
Philip R

There is a small win as each of those fancy cars is going to have a list price of £40,000, so will get hit by the £310 VED standard rate(SR) supplement that is charged each year for the first 5 years of a car's life, as well as the first-year rate based on CO2 output, which for a top of the range Porsche Cayennes is £2,000.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 12:37:39 AM »

Interesting point Billi.

Philip R
well , i just came across that article , and as a smoker all of those  pics addressed to me to smoke  more or less  ?

so a pouch of tobacco 30 gram is 17 euros in Ireland , for the same pouch in Germany for 5 Euro , so that's 12 euros difference  , or more than 3 times the price ,  why not  put that on petrol,  so 3.90  euro per liter ? , and  on the other hand ,  should not local produced food , benefit from those taxes and made available to healthy food supply at a fair price   , to Joe average ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 01:23:02 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
brackwell

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 08:57:46 AM »

Interesting point Billi.

Philip R

Made me smile.

Thats not your usual standard and my first thought it was a April fools joke but no it was only 31/3.

Pretensious - how do you know that then?  Nice cars like nice clothes like nice anything is not pretentious.

Evil spawn -  how do you know they are evil?  or are all children evil and do they stay evil or do they become good upright citizens playing their part in society.

4 exhauist pipes WOW - it does not matter whether the exhaust comes out of one pipe or multiple pipes the amount of pollution is what counts and they are paying for it.  I dont have a exhaust pipe on my EV so that is why i dont have VED tax -now i understand.    Grin

I wonder why you drive a van - self employed tax fiddle and the tax payer is paying your VED
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:02:55 AM by brackwell » Logged
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 10:52:11 AM »

As an aside, I noticed recently that some of these multiple exhaust tail-pipes are a cosmetic/vanity application, like the ones that teenagers put on their Vauxhall Corsa to pose in McDonald's car park. Look at the back of some of these cars where the big chrome 'exhaust' pipes exit and you will see a little round pipe in the middle of one, but not the other. Street slang calls them "ricers", (Racing Inspired Cosmetic Enhancment) because racing cars need to get the exhaust out with minimum obstruction.
For the stupid, it then follows that big exhaust = mighty powerful car = mighty powerful driver = small er....

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Quakered

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 02:43:35 PM »

I think their may be merit in this proposal and perhaps the Diesel pumps should have a poster stating that, say, "using this fuel will reduce the life expectancy of the pensioners that have not been taken by the virus whilst also reducing the life expectancy and life chances of inner city children - now how many litres would you like?" - probably will not make any difference but it will help us EV drivers feel even smugger! We could perhaps extend these messages to sacks of cement as this produces 3 time more CO2 than air travel. Worse, the internet might also be responsible to more CO2 than air travel....

Patrick

No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford

3.2kw PV and Tesla Powerwall
Jaguar I Pace
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: