navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solarimmersion died what should I replace it with  (Read 1576 times)
mccltd

« on: April 01, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »

Ok, it lasted 6 years but seems its finally given up on outputting.
what choices do I have to replace it with nowadays around the £250 mark, I see solar immersion do a mark IV for £229 but is there anything else I should look at?
I only have a 2kw solar system but it heated my hot water all through the summer ok.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:27:39 PM by mccltd » Logged
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 02:32:32 PM »

Got to be the Solic -google is your friend.
UK made , ONLY device that diverts 100% surplus.
Fitted 2 now -no issues.
No connection
George.
www.earthwiseproducts.co.uk
Fintray

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 03:27:09 PM »

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could buy a Mk2 PV router for half the price of your budget.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
mccltd

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:53:14 AM »

Thanks I was looking for a dual output as in the summer once it had heated my water I was using the secondary output to run a fan.
I had seen another make that did that but can't remember what it was.
ecogeorge

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 08:20:02 AM »

How can you run a fan off a diversion controller ? surely they require a resistive load?
George
oliver90owner

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 08:34:01 AM »

Iíve seen items that turn on a device once the generated power exceeds a certain value (settable).  I expect that the load can then be of any value - even in excess of generation.  They must use grid power, I would suggest, or the load may be switched multiple times if the generation level varies around the device setting.

I think the Solic had this sort of option on early models, but soon dropped the option and made the unit a bit simpler (there were several dip switches to be set for power selection?) as Iím sure only a very small minority would have been silly enough to use it that way.
ecogeorge

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 08:57:18 AM »

I have successfully utilised 2 heaters by using a NO/NC relay/contactor.
Wire primary heater through NC contacts and secondary through NO.
Wire thermostat (needs NO connection ) to coil (a1 -a2) -when primary is satisfied thermostat closing connection on coil and contactor switches. Other heater then in circuit.
Primary heater will always take priority , coil will only consume power when heating secondary heater. 
As soon as primary heater drops below thermostat set temp it will switch back.

NO = normally open
NC= normally closed.
Its a cheap mod.
George
dc

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 10:16:28 AM »

The Solic looks good but is there any way to set it up to run with a Powervault as the priority?

Sharp NU-E235 x 17 = 3.995kWp, SB4000TL, 4KWh Powervault, Essex CM8 3NR  Lat - 51-46'41"
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 12:46:30 PM »

It doesn't look like it supports a configurable export threshold; that's what I use to give my battery system charging priority over my Immersun.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x ō58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP/Pylon US2000 19.2kW
immerSUN 2
[url=http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=4602&sid=195
mccltd

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 01:09:38 PM »

Hi George,
The secondary output on my solarimmersion was a relay contact no/nc and I could setup in the menu when it came on depending on what I was currently putting back into grid.
Could be wired/programmed for a few different things.
Found the other one I had read about but its more expensive than the IV version of the solarimmersion.
It was the Apollo Gem.
I presume your idea is like the image i have attached using a mains 5 pin relay?

* IMG_3950.jpg (55.48 KB, 640x480 - viewed 205 times.)
Stig

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 01:21:04 PM »

That circuit would be a bad idea  sh*tfan as you're driving an inductive load (the fan) from the inverter output.  If your relay had two independent sets of contacts you could use one (NO) as you've shown for the immersion (simple resistive load) and the other (NC) to switch the fan but directly from the mains rather than the inverter output.
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 04:27:40 PM »

That circuit would be a bad idea  sh*tfan as you're driving an inductive load (the fan) from the inverter output.  If your relay had two independent sets of contacts you could use one (NO) as you've shown for the immersion (simple resistive load) and the other (NC) to switch the fan but directly from the mains rather than the inverter output.
Stig, can I ask what is wrong with an inductive load? This is an output from a diverter (not inverter), which may be a solid state SSR or a mechanical relay. SSRs are regularly used to drive inductive loads - Solar thermal with variable pump speeds being a prime example on this forum. If it's a mechanical relay output, then it's no different to any other relay output.
What is the problem?

North Hampshire
Stig

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 08:15:05 AM »

Sorry, misread your diagram as 'inverter' rather than 'diverter'.
No problem at all, as you were.  Wink
Tinbum

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 10:57:42 AM »

That circuit would be a bad idea  sh*tfan as you're driving an inductive load (the fan) from the inverter output.  If your relay had two independent sets of contacts you could use one (NO) as you've shown for the immersion (simple resistive load) and the other (NC) to switch the fan but directly from the mains rather than the inverter output.
Stig, can I ask what is wrong with an inductive load? This is an output from a diverter (not inverter), which may be a solid state SSR or a mechanical relay. SSRs are regularly used to drive inductive loads - Solar thermal with variable pump speeds being a prime example on this forum. If it's a mechanical relay output, then it's no different to any other relay output.
What is the problem?

It depends on the diverter and its output. If it has an on or off output then that's OK to power an inductive load but if its like most diverters where the output varies then no you can't. Even diverters with a relay often / mostly just route the variable power through that relay. Yes an SSR can drive an inductive load but it won't be switching on and off many times a second, as solar diverters do, to vary the power output.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:15:54 AM by Tinbum » Logged

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »

...Yes an SSR can drive an inductive load but it won't be switching on and off many times a second, as solar diverters do, to vary the power output.
An SSR can do precisely that - switch many times a second, whereas a mechanical relay can not.
My home grown diverter has an SSR output, and switches at 50Hz - I switch on or off every mains cycle, depending on the import/export of the previous cycle.
Commercial diverters typically use either zero crossing PWM or variable phase switching, through an SSR or Triac or some other electronic device.
I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at?

North Hampshire
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: