navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Danfoss ASHP support needed in South Warwickshire  (Read 4215 times)
aoomoog

« on: April 19, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »

Hi all,

I have a Danfoss 7 year old DHP AQ 13 ASHP. Rather like a previous post by andyhenson, I am struggling to get local support. For a few years now, Danfoss have outsourced their support to Ashgrove Engineering in Ireland. Thereís only so much that they can do over the phone and the problem starts when you try to get local support. My installer went bust during commissioning and my local support (about 8 miles away) withdrew from Danfoss and heating about 3 years ago. Ashgrove recommend an engineer based in Bristol which means that there is an automatic call out charge of £200 before any work has started, not to mention the added time to schedule the work at such a distance. This leaves us feeling very vulnerable indeed and actually giving serious consideration to replacing the Danfoss with something that can be supported locally. I am currently looking at a likely compressor failure (after 10,500 hours pump life) which will cost over £3000 to replace. So should I get the pump fixed and look forward to the next few years losing sleep over the possibility of breakdown (on past experience, we have had breakdowns most winters when the demand is highest), or should I put that money towards a complete replacement which can serviced locally ? BTW, does anyone know whether Danfoss is withdrawing from the UK market ? Our experience suggests that it might be. Iíd welcome any thoughts on this.
aoomoog

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 02:08:25 PM »

Update on this. Danfoss offloaded the ASHP business to Thermia a few years ago and Thermia were then subsequently sold to  Stiebel Eltron a couple of years ago. I have contacted all of these companies and they all deny having responsibility for ongoing support. Ashgrove in Ireland used to supply Thermia heat pumps in UK but following the Stiebel Eltron takeover, they no longer trade in the UK. So all of this means that owners of Danfoss heat pumps will get some help from Ashgrove (albeit very remotely) but none whatsoever from the previous or current owners of the business. Itís a pretty shameful reflection on the businesses concerned I feel. I have written to the Heat Pump Association who, whilst sympathising, cannot help because none of the businesses involved are members. I suggest that prospective customers Of ASHP should only consider Those companies who are HPA members (most other recognised suppliers in fact). Just avoid Thermia or Stiebel Eltron !
knighty

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 02:20:30 PM »

try a refrigeration engineer?

you'll be out of pocket, but a heat pump is pretty must just an aircon system, they should be able to diagnose/fix problems and replace parts

£3000 for a compressor swap sounds pretty insane - the last 10hp top of the line scroll compressor I had changed at work was £1200 (parts only) iirc, and that's low back pressure (freezer) spec which is normally more expensive
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: