navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lockdown Allotment  (Read 1505 times)
Ki Lo Watt

« on: April 30, 2020, 11:33:03 PM »

Hi All Growers

So as you are aware there has been a situation!

Always looking at the positives I am now way ahead with the allotment this year. I was very organised and ordered seeds I needed before the mad panic set in.
Iíve made some lovely compost and potted some Stupice tomato plants into the poly tunnel today. Lots of plants now growing.
Had the best lettuce/rocket and cheese sarnie with salad cream at lunchtime on home made sour-dough.
I have never seen so many allotment holders tending their usually neglected plots! It will be interesting to see if the enthusiasm lasts after the lock down is lifted and we go back to our old ways?

Me I'm staying locked down!

How is your patch?

John

eabadger

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 11:36:06 AM »

spent a week mending hydraulics on next doors tractor, plot all sorted, seeds in pollytunel spuds going in monday, no work no income got to think of feeding family for rest of year.

* jardin done.jpg (114.99 KB, 960x720 - viewed 292 times.)

* george rota.jpg (93.57 KB, 960x720 - viewed 295 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
kdmnx

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 02:10:49 PM »

Nice!

I wish I had a bit of land to play with.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
eabadger

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 10:04:49 AM »

pots?
i have been playing with contents of the kitchen cupboard, mustard seeds germinated and growing coriander and peppercorns!!
kids loving it.

not used the land for a few years, was too busy with work, now all gone Sad
could never afford what we have here, in the uk, agri land here was about Ä1 sqm when we bought 13 years ago.

just found first sign of peas coming up extrahappy

spuds delayed arrived and chitted hope to get in tomorrow weather allowing
tomatoes in pollytunel and peppers and cucumbers, trying odd ball things as well like okra, carrots parsnips beetroot all in
building an anti white butterfly house for the brasicas, i hate the caterpillars assaulting them

hope to be at least partially self sufficient this year

it keeps you out of mischief...........

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 06:11:22 AM »

We took on an allotment in January which was lucky. It was quite messy so half of it is sheeted over to help break the cycle of annual weeds. We're going to put squashes straight into holes in the plastic as the extra heat should help them along.

It's a good outlet for my desire to make mad things. There was a poly tunnel frame with decent hoops but required new door frames. The existing one wasn't even wide enough for a wheelbarrow which is a bit of an oversight. Have built it as a sliding door as the poly tunnel takes up almost the entire width of the plot.

Our outdoor spuds got hit by the first may frost but I got them covered over for the second one a few days later to protect the regrowth and now they're storming along.

At home the garden is a decent size with two green houses which is very nice to have. Just put tomatoes and chillis out into it now. Have shaded one of them with scaffolding netting as it was getting red hot in there and gets the sun all day. It provides a tiny insulation effect too.

I planted some potatoes in the green house in late summer with the aim of having Christmas new potatoes but only two of them sprouted. Bolted basically but I was very happy to see the rest of them come up in late winter. Hopefully should have some very early new potatoes. They'll be flowering soon by the looks of it.

Trying to grow some loofahs in the hottest part of the poly tunnel. Have surrounded the little plants with large water bottles to provide a bit of thermal mass and steady heat.

Also trying to grow a tuber called Oca. It's like tiny lemony potatoes but they won't be ready till November and if we have an early frost they're done for so it's a bit of a risk.

Can't believe how cheap renting an allotment is. It's crazy.

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 08:49:03 AM »

Hi Ebadger,
           Try soapy X bath water on the white butterfly caterpillars. It don't  half shift them.
         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
pantsmachine

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »

Hi Ki,

We are year 4 of our layered allotment, we were inspired by Masanobu Fukuoka 'One straw revolution'. We are growing  apples, rhubarb, plums & strawberries for fruit and tatties, onions, garlic, chilli's , corguettes, carrots, brocolli & cauliflower for veg and for the first time cucamelons. Also peas, beetroot and sprouts being germinated at the moment.

Best of luck to you this year, We love growing our own! The photo below is a new area/secret garden we did tail end of last year. It has apple trees, onions and tatties in it.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:50:43 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

5.12kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wooden hot tub
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 02:15:22 PM »

Good luck Steve.
You are in for a lot of hard yet rewarding work

Kidwelly South Wales
eabadger

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 05:13:00 PM »

thanks,
with unlocking here work is coming in thick and fast, but pleasant evenings and weekend in veg plot,.
but.....
blackfly are eating everything, never know it so bad, due to lack of traffic ?

a real plague

1kw wind turbine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: