navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small w/t residential area  (Read 5474 times)
pantsmachine

« on: May 02, 2020, 03:28:50 PM »

Hi Lads,

I had a topic running last year on small scale wind turbine in a residential area. All advice was to not do it as its not going to work. I listened, I agreed and then i went for it with full expectation of failure. I am glad I did it as it is one thing to read it and another to have a go and feel the full impact of the prior experience that was offered. I got a lot out of it.

The positives of the project
1. I enjoyed making up the bracket, running in the cable and building the unit.
2. It is completely silent in operation.
3. No neighbor complaints.

Negatives
1. we don't have the wind speeds to crank it until its a blur.
2. It runs at the merest hint of wind (this is a killer).

I bought it as being the revised Chinese lantern wt as indicated by the blade design and pancake motor size. it was advertised as a 600w unit. Its a 3 phase ac unit with charge controller to 12v dc. I have had it hooked up to a leisure battery out of my Mazda Bongo and its done heehaw, no increase in voltage on the battery at all. I bought a dc-dc buck converter, stuck it inline and it will  crank out over 15 volts but there are no amps there, enough to flicker and led maybe.

So that's where I am, a unit that birls away no problem yet isn't outputting anything of any significance. I am not phased by this (did you see what I did there) as hope springs eternal and I'm daft so don't give up easily. Have a look at the photos and notice the gap between generator assembly and the blades. It could easily take an increased width of unit operating off of the same top blade plate. There is nothing stopping the generator assembly being longer as well as it would just raise the blades by a few inches.

I've not been back up the ladder yet but thought i'd ask if you guys know of any generator units or suppliers of units that output meaningful power at low rpm? I am happy to be back on the learning curve and would just like to see the unit maybe heating up a storage heater. Its sad to see it turning in the wind yet not doing anything of note?

The blades are great, the bracket is fine as is cable, its just a shame that the generator has less power than a sherbert dib-dab.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:34:48 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
9.6kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Veg patches & wood fired hot tub
Scruff
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »

An anemometer and Hugh Piggotts book woulda said the same much sooner.
pantsmachine

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »

Yeah but I like to find out for myself with a hands on approach and I enjoy the challenge. Thanks for the words though, mildly acidic and not that positive, your usual (yawn) style, nice.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:29:09 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
kdmnx

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 04:27:57 PM »

The reality is that youíll never see a usable amount of power out of that kind of wind turbine.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
Scruff
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 04:29:08 PM »

I'd rather find out what a horizontal axis in a field outside the turbulence envelope would do after a year of monitoring the potential with a Ä50 piece of test gear and a tome of wisdom.

To each their own. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:32:27 PM by Scruff » Logged
pantsmachine

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »

The reality is that youíll never see a usable amount of power out of that kind of wind turbine.

Likely the case yet I'm not quite ready to write it off.

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
kdmnx

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 05:09:18 PM »

Likely the case yet I'm not quite ready to write it off.

Ha ha!

Go for it. I really wish there was a way to generate 400-600W at night and in winter, even if intermittently, just to offset the times when the solar isnít generating. The problem is you need a tall tower, a large diameter turbine, and no nearby buildings, to generate a usable amount of power.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »

When I stayed on Orkney last summer, the house we were renting had loads of solar and one of these on the roof of their garden shed.  The house was about 1/2 a mile from the coast, 2/3 of the way up a hill. Between the house and the coast in the farmers fields were two 5kW turbines which were spinning very nicely in the constant Orkadian sea breeze and I'm sure were generating very well.  This little rooftop turbine barely moved in the whole time we were there.   If it doesn't work in coastal windy exposed rural Orkney, I doubt it'll work anywhere else.  But I certainly admire you for trying and giving it a go.  I keep meaning to put some more solar panels in my system on my flat roof, and on the roof of my garden office, but somehow I never get round to it.

Here's the thread where I posted about the turbines https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30834.0.html
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:12:38 PM by dan_b » Logged

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
pantsmachine

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 05:31:49 PM »

Thanks Dan,  great to hear your real world experience, I had some winters in the late 90's on Shetland, it's a different level entirely!
 I am torn between my nature which likes to push water uphill and switching to planning a second solar array on a smaller yet more favored aspect roof. No doubt this re stuff gets under the skin! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:37:49 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Scruff
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 05:45:55 PM »

I'm plenty positive when there's scientific merit to a thing.  I guess watching technology and markets develop they way they have as long as I have would  make one a natural cynic. I'm happy to to be corrected with data... opinions everyone has one.
I can't even buy honest cable any more ffshakes.
oliver90owner

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 05:50:28 PM »

My view is practise at doing something but no point in re-inventing the wheel.  Vendor is laughing at you - all the way to the bank - even if we are only smiling quietly....
pantsmachine

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »

I'm plenty positive when there's scientific merit to a thing.  I guess watching technology and markets develop they way they have as long as I have would  make one a natural cynic. I'm happy to to be corrected with data... opinions everyone has one.
I can't even buy honest cable any more ffshakes.

I know, I did see the melt, nae good. Seen similar from China on ships, cable said it was one thing and just the  weight told us it was quite another. Opinions indeed and everyone one has one, love the full phrase!

I always try and be 1/2 full and as said before like to push against conventional wisdom even at my own expense and even when I know I'm walking into it. If I don't win, that's ok as I continue to learn in my own way and will use it somewhere else. Oliver my boy, opinions....who's laughing and learning. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:18:52 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Scruff
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 06:31:22 PM »

Oliver90 put it more elegantly above^

You might find I'm pretty negative about domestic grid-tied batteries too...Lord K's on the money there.
Have you noticed it's people involved in marketing and self-interest singing their praises?
Comparisons of Li-ion versus Lead is way off the mark too with nothing to back it up.

"Lets take the most anaemic lead-acid variant we can, couple it to a shyte charger and rob it of a BMS...then compare it to something 4 times more expensive bedecked in bells and whistles."

Lead ain't dead. Get data before throwing hardware at the elements.

No engineers, scientists or commercial uptake...maybe it's a sign...

daveluck_uk

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 06:35:23 PM »

Nice one.

So is it the generator thats rubbish or location or lack of wind or any combination?

Could you rig up something on the end of drill and spin the generator to see if it would ever produce any power?

I've had an anemometer sitting on a pole where I would install my wt. It's been there for 2 years. Every 3-4 months I check the data out and then let it run on in the hope that I might be able to justify a small 250w job but alas...

I'm incredibly disappointed that I just can't get any real wind. Over 2 years I have only 10% of the time had wind greater than 3.6m per second. Yet as I look it of my window...wind turbines galor...

* 15884414638197568792724125098147.jpg (397.01 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 178 times.)
Scruff
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 06:41:03 PM »

Answers' inside Hugh Piggott's book. It's a bargain even if you never build or buy the hardware.

Wind is an economy of scale endeavour, usually defeated by poor siting and unrealistic expectations.
Solar's better bang for buck at least times 5.

If you live in a city forget about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: