navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small w/t residential area  (Read 5654 times)
pantsmachine

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »

To clarify, I was hoping to hear from someone on lower rpm/larger generators real world on a small scale experience.

This looks instead as if it will become an online debate on personal viewpoints, ah well...

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
9.6kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Veg patches & wood fired hot tub
Scruff
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 06:43:03 PM »

I'd fly a hawt turnip anywhere the average clean wind is higher than 5m/s.
Scruff
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »

To clarify, I was hoping to hear from someone on lower rpm/larger generators real world on a small scale experience.

This looks instead as if it will become an online debate on personal viewpoints, ah well...

Have a search for chocy teapot...
pantsmachine

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »

Nice one.

So is it the generator thats rubbish or location or lack of wind or any combination?

Could you rig up something on the end of drill and spin the generator to see if it would ever produce any power?

I've had an anemometer sitting on a pole where I would install my wt. It's been there for 2 years. Every 3-4 months I check the data out and then let it run on in the hope that I might be able to justify a small 250w job but alas...

I'm incredibly disappointed that I just can't get any real wind. Over 2 years I have only 10% of the time had wind greater than 3.6m per second. Yet as I look it of my window...wind turbines galor..

Awwh man, I feel your pain, that's a hell of a view...location in truth is my issue, I am ok with trying to play in the margins as there can be victories. Yet maybe not this time, although games not finished and i'd rather fail in reality and be entertained than just go with the consesus. You don't know unless you try.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:40:40 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
kdmnx

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 07:51:30 PM »

Nice one.

So is it the generator thats rubbish or location or lack of wind or any combination?

Could you rig up something on the end of drill and spin the generator to see if it would ever produce any power?

I've had an anemometer sitting on a pole where I would install my wt. It's been there for 2 years. Every 3-4 months I check the data out and then let it run on in the hope that I might be able to justify a small 250w job but alas...

I'm incredibly disappointed that I just can't get any real wind. Over 2 years I have only 10% of the time had wind greater than 3.6m per second. Yet as I look it of my window...wind turbines galor...

Shove that anemometer on the top of a 10m pole and see how the readings improve.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
daveluck_uk

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 08:06:49 PM »

Nice one.

I'm incredibly disappointed that I just can't get any real wind. Over 2 years I have only 10% of the time had wind greater than 3.6m per second. Yet as I look it of my window...wind turbines galor...

Shove that anemometer on the top of a 10m pole and see how the readings improve.

It is.

Scruff
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 08:22:58 PM »

It is.

genuflect

Linky
pantsmachine

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 10:55:12 PM »

Scruff,  I do appreciate extreme personality types after 30 years offshore and would deploy them as and when required on the job. Sadly you are continuing to try to dominate this thread after making your point clearly in your 1st reply and subsequently expanding into batteries (this isnt that),but maybe stop, eh?

I guess I won't find a low rev reasonable output generator or chat about same here. Likely it doesn't exist yet I'd rather have engaged in conversation on this forum and gleaned the knowledge of multiple people cons in the majority but maybe a real world pro or two, rather than one striving wee spacker making his point multiple times?

I don't care about the wheel or remaking it. I am interested in low friction, small footprint,  low starting torque generators in the margins and on turbulent air, do they exist or am I chasing dreams? It doesn't matter one way or the other as I am entertained for a while or vindicated. I have no real emotional tie to either result but would like to hear from others & not you for a while. I really don't care about Hugh's book either as he dismisses vawt's and fair pay to that pov but it's not me at this moment where I am, get it?

I like to play with mechanical things, that's what I'm doing now, I am also ok with blowing a few quid on a failed project and thus reinforcing reason not to vawt here for posterity but again that's me not you. Start a thread on how poor vawt's are. I will be an avid reader and genuinely interested.

As a side note, if everyone did what the books and figures told them to it would be a sadder and less colourful world.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:44:07 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
daveluck_uk

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 12:46:10 AM »

Awwh man, I feel your pain, that's a hell of a view...location in truth is my issue, I am ok with trying to play in the margins as there can be victories. Yet maybe not this time, although games not finished and i'd rather fail in reality and be entertained than just go with the consesus. You don't know unless you try.

I'm with you with that both in spirit and body... I'm a firm believer in giving something a go.

I'd be interested to know whether it is the generator not actually putting anything out. Hence my suggestion of seeing if you could spin it up somewhat. If it doesn't put out anything at least then you 'll definatley know that it's not.

If it does then you could then try different locations for the turbine ( if possible) to see if you can improve wind capture.

I really want it to work, even if it's only 100w ( with some useable amps) as I would love to have a working useable turbine. I could buy a cheapy but I'm just too tight to spend money on something I'm fairly certain won't work.

I'll keep measuring the wind on the faint hope that the average speed will increase enough to convince me to part with my cash.

On a clear day I can count 50 turbines on the ridges around us. They are around 1000m higher than us. They are very accessible and we can drive up to them. They're bloody massive! And are absolutely beautiful.
Scruff
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 01:40:48 AM »

Horses water and camel humps I've answered your questions multiple times, Apologies it hasn't the resonance of something you'd like to hear.
Carry on spin it with a drill that'll help the turbulence, counter-acting blades and lack of swept area I'm sure.
daveluck_uk

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2020, 11:04:01 AM »

Horses water and camel humps I've answered your questions multiple times, Apologies it hasn't the resonance of something you'd like to hear.
Carry on spin it with a drill that'll help the turbulence, counter-acting blades and lack of swept area I'm sure.

of course it wont help with those. But it'll tell you whether the the thing will / could possible generate power wont it?

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »

Pants
I had a small 2kW senwei turbine about 50m from the house when the wind was from that direction (turbulent) it produced  diddly squat however it did well from the other directions and nicely supplemented our production.
I don't believe that a house mounted turbine will ever produce decent amounts of electricity. However if it gives you fun extrahappy and is safely mounted, why not. Can  you mount it anywhere with clean non turbulent air.

To satisfy your own curiosity?

Kidwelly South Wales
pantsmachine

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 01:55:49 PM »

Hi Tod,
I am surrounded on 3 sides by small forest, not much at all in the way of open aspect. Thanks for sharing your experience!

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 10:03:27 PM »

Hi pants,
       I have been  following your quest for info on wind turbines. Don't  be disappointed and go right on ahead and follow your heart. We have been off grid here for many years. There are a few things that you need to clear up first  One is that  VAWTs are hard work. I know, I had a love affair with a particular design and this is while flying our own 2kw house turbine. No matter what way you looked at it, The VAWT needed 50% more blade area to produce as much as the HAWT. The Horizontal axis can be balanced for high speed but the VAWT is a lot lot more difficult ,
  A three blade HAWT is a safe bet. There was someone on recently and I recommended Futurenergy and Leading Edge.  These are UK  built turbines with 90% Chinese parts.. I have tested quite a few Turbines mostly Chinese ones  and they are a mixed bag . I have a pretty AirX in the shed sitting in a box in need of repair.. The alt is perfect  but it needs too much money to repair it with its original parts. I could buy a nice 200 watt Chinese Yang Shen for half the price of the  parts that it will take to fix the Air X.
 The 200wstt FD is pure Chinese. Thete are still ones kicking around Fleabay and can be bought cheap.
  The wattage sounds low  but they can belt out 200 watt in any kind of a breeze. Any that left here, had their blades cut back to prevent overspend. They gave the best bang orr buck. I made good friends selling them.
   Tod mentioned his Chinese Sensi which  was a sales name for a very good model of  2kw x 48v Xmork. So too big. There was one Chinese 600 watt 24 volt. Later  upgraded to 750 watt x 24 volt. It had a 1800mm prop and was quite easy managed. It also  produced the goods.
  I think Roger used to fly these on his Greek island years ago. They are well built  and do give good bang per buck.
     I know how you feel about your roof mounted baby  but Tod is right. Roof mounted are called Chocky  Teapots on Navitron for years.
   Have a look about for a 3 blade 750xwatt , post a pic on here and we will advise.dont be disheartened.
  Good luck.
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
rogeriko

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 12:51:55 AM »

This is the company in Holland where I used to get these great little 24/48v turbines.  http://www.swea.nl/  Click on products and then turbines. I sold lots of them and never had a problem. Unbreakable nylon blades.  If you are surrounded by trees you need a tall tower.A 20 meter tower that pivots is no big deal, like a lot of lamposts that pivot in the middle to bring the lamp down to ground level.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: