navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Underfloor heating for the old & creaky  (Read 3755 times)
RonWeedsley

« on: August 15, 2006, 06:16:06 PM »

Hi,
In an ideal world, I'd be laying a well insulated slab into a new build, and this would accept a wet underfoor heating system. What I've got however is an old house with a raised timber floor.

I will be removing the floors to lay artec double sided alububble insulation. I wonder about the viability of reflooring with 2 * 18mm layers of chipboard, with the upper layer routed to take the underfloor pipes, before laying a tiled finish over.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the efficiency of this given that insulation values might at best be considered 'ok'. Any other suggestions on how to retrofit a gshp/underfloor heating system into an old house.

Regarding the underfloor insulation, is it worth adding rockwool above or below the alububble to further keep the heat in?
Thanks
Ron.
Ian
installers

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »

Ron - I have not seen what you are proposing before but it may work.

Normally, the underfloor pipework is plastic because it is buried in screed (and you are no longer allowed to use copper pipes directly in concrete). The plastic pipe transfers heat through to the slab and it is the slab that acts as the radiator.

But with your proposal, I think you should try using copper pipes in the rebated chipboard and not plastic. I am farly certain that plastic pipes in rebates will not perform. if you have enough copper under the tiles then it should act as a reasonabe radiator. The tiles should be thick and heavy so they can act as a heat spreader and avoid hot spots.

I do not know if your proposal has a chance of getting past building regulations and certificaton.

With regards to insulation - go for it! You cannot have too much insulation.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian
mtimm

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 09:42:10 PM »

There are some products available that may help you like vl-isopro and vl-rsiso in this link

http://www.henco.be/5pricelists/upload/Prijslijst%20Henco%202006_4talig_UNDERFLOOR%20HEATING.pdf

You can also get formed aluminium trays that fit on the joists that you run the pipes in.

The polypanel system in this link is similar to your proposal some of the other systems may also work.
http://www.polytherm.ie/

As Ian said go for the rockwool the more insulation the better.

Also if you have the height it might be worth considering a light screed on top of the pipes

A few more options here

http://www.unipipe.ie/downloads/Unipipe_catalogue_2000.doc
RonWeedsley

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 08:00:01 AM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Thanks for these replies. I feel I'm off and running. The notion of a screed layer looks to be a great idea as well.

Just need to be told when I can fit my solar array, then back to Navitron for a GSHP.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: