navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Siemens unveils 15MW turbine with 222m rotor span  (Read 4020 times)
dan_b

SW London

« on: May 19, 2020, 10:55:25 AM »

https://renews.biz/60351/siemens-gamesa-unveils-14mw-offshore-titan/

Holy moly, they keep getting bigger!

"Siemens Gamesa has unveiled a new 14MW offshore wind turbine equipped with a 222-metre rotor that offers a 25% increase in annual energy production compared to its 11MW predecessor.

The German-Spanish manufacturer said the 14-222 direct drive unit will be commercially available in 2024 and will be able to reach up to 15MW thanks to a power boost feature. A prototype is due to be installed next year."

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
brackwell

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:12:20 PM »

This is getting too much eggs in one basket.  If one of these failed in a 1 in 100 yr event the repercussions will be .......
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 01:33:00 PM »

It's not quite up there with the 1.6GW single generator issue for HPC, but I see what you mean. 
But isn't it better to have 10x 15MW turbines than 50x 3MW turbines - wonder which wind farm would be more likely to see lost output due to failures/servicing?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
brackwell

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 02:03:25 PM »

Thats all about perspective and risk aversion.  Years ago i remember watching an interview with some business owner/CEO etc who said when he buys a firm he ONLY considers the downside. I have never forgotten that in my life. When things go well ok, but when that 1 in 100 yr event comes you are wiped out COMPLETELY.  Its not for me to say but i guess the 10x 15MW guy will be out of business before the 15x 10MW guy.

When HPC goes down with a bang/cut off,  the grid will have a big effect perhaps black out. When all the PV goes down nobody notices.

Buy a house and load yourself up with debt and wait for the mortgage rate and inflation to get to 18%  and then you loose your job.  I do not forget that.
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 10:42:11 PM »

I worked on outages in the UK on 660MW machines on nuclear power plants and the smallest were 160MW machines on gas fired CCGTs. They needed a similar amount of inspection irrespective of their size. Most of the effort was setting up to do the work, rather than the work iteself. So from a cost point of view, a smaller number of large machines is cheaper.
However it is about risk management. I have discussed arguments used when comparing large turbine generators like at HPC compared to the previous staple of 660MW and 500MW construction during CEGB era.

As I see it, offshore WTs are not easily accessible should a breakdown occur in say the winter. You need a big crane, (One failed the other week under test!). Big Machines like this Siemens and the GE Haliade will need a masive Crane to lift the 600T Nacelle. (Try doing that in a storm)
One other point made about the Siemens machine with the power boost feature. The harder you turn the generator, the more it will generate( True for synchronous machine upto its MVA stability limit). The harder you work it, the hotter it runs. Therefore it has additional cooling (fans) and a short term overload rating. A good way to shorten the life of the machine if it runs hot anyway!!
Philip R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: