navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote reading my meters  (Read 2096 times)
BruceB

« on: May 23, 2020, 05:39:48 PM »

I want to automate/remote my meter reading and read on my imac.

I have:
-   One Elster 1100, which is the main 3-phase import meter and which has IrDA built-in.
-   One DDS-1Y, which reads the tenants use of electricity as no communication capability beyond pulses.
-   3 x RHI Apator heat meters.  The battery is welded in and the [a] UK distributor now declines to recalibrate at the 10 year point as per the RHI rules.  I intend to replace to match other heat meters.
-   One RHI VHU-20 heat meter.  Has built-in m-bus.
-   One VHU-20 heat meter.  Has built-in m-bus.  Measures tenants renewable heat consumption.
-   2 x Pro1250D 3-phase electricity meters, one a FIT generation meter and one to measure heat pump consumption.

I am happy to proceed slowly and expect that between you, you have already thought this sort of problem through.  I would like to do the first 2 first preferably by accessing through wifi.  Any ideas or recommendations for the bits I need?
BruceB

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 04:05:45 PM »

No replies to date.  Looks like I have to get my head around Arduino as I cannot find what I need on the shelf. No doubt you will tell me if I am going horribly wrong.  How difficult can it be? I did some Fortran, 8080 and 6502 programming in the 70s.
Countrypaul

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 04:35:42 PM »

Playing with a Arduino is good fun and like the 6502 you are working at quite a low level (no OS). You will probably need to learn C/C++ as that is the usual language used with Arduino, but try and stay away from using the heap as that very quickly ensures you run out of memory (being used to a 6502 though, that should be no problem).

Can't help you with the meters you have though, so you will have to fill in the gaps.
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »

Playing with a Arduino is good fun and like the 6502 you are working at quite a low level (no OS). You will probably need to learn C/C++ as that is the usual language used with Arduino, but try and stay away from using the heap as that very quickly ensures you run out of memory (being used to a 6502 though, that should be no problem).

Still have my copy of Zaks' "Programming the 6502" - fond memories of building and then programming my Microtan 65 with a hex keypad and 2KB before expanding it to a heady 16KB.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP/Pylon US2000 19.2kW
immerSUN 2
[url=http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=4602&sid=195
Pat_

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »

Are the protocols involved available or are they maintained secret to prevent meter fraud? That would be my first question.
BruceB

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 05:17:11 PM »

The meter transmits one way continuously irda to an industry standard (according to its data sheet) so should be readable.
Pat_

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 06:15:15 PM »

Ah thanks. I looked up various parts of IEC 62056. Overall it looked like heavy going, but hopefully you only need a small subset. Good luck with the project!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: