navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fully charged attack on Corsa price  (Read 1525 times)
oliver90owner

« on: July 01, 2020, 07:47:51 PM »

Robert Llewellyn reviews the Corsa-e but mostly attacks the pricing structure of the legacy carmakers.

Good but heavily over-priced is the summary.

Personally, the deep lip on the ‘hatch’ at the back always bugged me when I had a diesel.
nowty

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:25:54 PM »

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF6aatgole8

12kW+ of PV installed and 65+ MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 45+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
6kW Ground source heatpump.
310,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
phoooby

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 09:22:31 PM »

RL has a point about the cost of batteries dropping significantly since the launch of the Leaf in 2011 almost 10 years ago. A 24kw leaf battery would have cost $36000 (£22-£24k in 2010) on RL's figures so you could see why the leaf was well over £30k when first released and Nissan probably still lost money on them.  Move on 10 years and the 50kw battery in the corsa e should cost $7500 (£6250 ish) so why the £13,000 premium over a corsa se premuim ?. You can almost buy 2 base model corsa ICE for the price of one electric !.

The OEM's are price gouging to make the most of the limited number of EV's they can supply.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
oliver90owner

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 11:42:05 PM »

The OEM's are price gouging to make the most of the limited number of EV's they can supply.

More likely the minimum number they have to supply, in the markets where they must offer BEVs alongside their ICE vehicles.

BTW the url was there when I posted the starter..... disappeared into outer space at some point.😕
phoooby

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 01:09:09 AM »

^ Ive not read the regulations regarding what they have to supply but you are probably right. Do the absolute minimum possible to maintain the ICE sales. I hope the regulations ratchet up what is required in EV numbers. I have heard (probably on Fully Charged) that VW have to sort the software on the ID3 and sell them all to avoid a huge fine (1B euros ?) in 2020. It is a shame that we are still at the stage of OEM's being forced to produce a product under duress.

Carlos Ghosn may have a cloud over him at the moment but if you watch "the revenge of the electric car", it is clear he had a vision with the Leaf for Nissan to get a head start on the competition. No threat of fines there, his view was that it was the future so he went ahead with the project. The Leaf has introduced many to EV's when new and now on the second hand market. The residuals are very strong now as people see the benefits. I wish I had kept my 2015 model but the balloon payment seemed bonkers in 2017 but not so bonkers now given an extra 3 years of hindsight.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
GarethC

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 07:23:11 AM »

The guy from pushevs vents his frustration on pricing regularly. I think it's just opening an opportunity for Chinese competitors to steal a march on established Western and Japanese firms, which is already happening (MG ZS EV and others). For example, there's a crossover by BYD being introduced to Norway shortly. Pricing not disclosed yet but expected to under cut competition I think.

By the way, if you're interested in the different current and upcoming EV battery chemistries and manufacturing (e. G. Cell to pack) methods, browse his articles. Really fascinating, and makes me confident ranges will increase, and costs drop, rapidly.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:24:50 AM by GarethC » Logged
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 09:53:59 AM »

I don't really understand Nissan though - 10 years on and they still only make 1 full BEV - the Leaf.  Where are the other models? 

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »

And then of course there's the e-Honda. The price of that car considering the battery size is even more absurd. 

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Westie

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »

The guy from pushevs vents his frustration on pricing regularly. I think it's just opening an opportunity for Chinese competitors to steal a march on established Western and Japanese firms, which is already happening (MG ZS EV and others). For example, there's a crossover by BYD being introduced to Norway shortly. Pricing not disclosed yet but expected to under cut competition I think.

By the way, if you're interested in the different current and upcoming EV battery chemistries and manufacturing (e. G. Cell to pack) methods, browse his articles. Really fascinating, and makes me confident ranges will increase, and costs drop, rapidly.
"BYD presents Tang electric car to Norway, confirms Europe-wide plans | The Driven" https://thedriven.io/2020/07/01/byd-presents-tang-electric-car-to-norway-confirms-europe-wide-plans/amp/

PS. That's £50k so it's not entry level by any means....

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:32:47 AM by Westie » Logged

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
GarethC

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »

"BYD presents Tang electric car to Norway, confirms Europe-wide plans | The Driven" https://thedriven.io/2020/07/01/byd-presents-tang-electric-car-to-norway-confirms-europe-wide-plans/amp/

PS. That's £50k so it's not entry level by any means....

Yes, but that's for a BEV with 86kWh battery, and not sure you can get another with that capacity for that price, and also, I think that's the exec level trim, and they plan to bring out a cheaper one?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: