navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad story  (Read 2120 times)
dickster

« on: June 30, 2020, 10:48:45 AM »

Our first trip from New Forest to Oxford in our MGZS EV. 86 miles =172 total.

With around 140 usable miles, we needed to charge somewhere (for the first time), best done as we near Oxford.

Zap mapped our Ecotricity or Genie Point chargers, then looked at them individually. There was only Genie Point that would do us a CCS rapid charge listed as working just out of Oxford, not willing to risk all on a single charger.

Ecotricity would have taken around 4 hours on AC (MG only has a 7kW charger AC), but this didn't suit our family get together picnic and most of the chargers were listed as out of order.

Took the Duster Dacia. Ouch!

Never mind, I've done 3,500 clean miles to work and back thus far and in a few more years maybe it'll be better.

pantsmachine

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »

That's is sad, it'll only improve post covid repairs and thru network growth. First arsehole parked in a charging space for EV with ICE yesterday. I don't think much of humanity in general but sometimes eh? Smiley

On the upside Black Betty found a carpark buddy today!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:14:01 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wood hot tub
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 11:16:59 AM »

Was the Ecotricity pump not a CCS one - that would have been an option? Or was it out of service?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
brackwell

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »

Prefer Instavolt but Polar are quite good and usually have contactless on rapids, Harvester at Didcot?

Anyway it was not the time to be adventurous with family in tow and a family gathering to get to.  Another time with a bit more experience under your belt this would not be a problem.
JohnS

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 12:15:58 PM »

Ecotricity's Electric Highway is useless.  Their reliability is a joke.  It is time that they were stripped of their monopoly at motorway service stations and/or sold the business to a decent provider.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
brackwell

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 12:31:34 PM »

How very true. Can one imagine what it would be like if Ecoticity were ousted.  It would be transformational is a complete understatement.
bleem2k

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 01:16:59 PM »

I know the feeling - unfortunately my better half ended up with a combination of range loss, broken chargers and finally turtle mode.. not best pleased!

There are rays of hope on the horizon tho.. I'm just looking at our usual pilgrimage to North Devon, provided the locals let us in, it seems that both Polar and a new network (Swarco?) have been expanding on the A303... certainly looks a much 'safer' journey than previously.
dickster

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 03:02:16 PM »

I think the other Ecotricity is Chadamo DC and MG has only CCS 50kW DC or AC 7kW.
JohnS

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 07:07:33 PM »

Ecotricity's Electric Highway has both CCS and Chademo.  Not sure if all sites have both, but if they don't work, it makes no difference.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 07:19:56 PM »

Pantsmachine,

Stop throwing stones in greenhouses, Calling people names when they take a charging space if not using it.

From your picture , you have parked the car selfishly yourself, worthy of an SUV or 4X$ owner!!  Parking across the white lines even if the carpark was empty.
Philip R
pantsmachine

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 07:35:29 PM »

Ehm Phil, it's only for the photo opportunity with another EV. I very neatly parked afterwards. This would be 30 secs after photo. Slightly different to the ICE charge blocker who had left their car in a EV slot the day before  Not the same in my mind at all.  

Ah wait, the photo is not related to the ICE blocker or are you just having a go?

As far as I'm concerned, anybody who dumps their ICE in a EV charging space is a selfish thoughtless arsehole. I am open to debate in how this is not the case Phil? I'd think the same of someone who used a parent/toddler or handicapped space when not qualified to. Would you not? Are you one of those who find it acceptable to leave EVs ICE'd, surely not? Where is this glasshouse you speak of?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:05:23 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 08:12:26 PM »

Pantsmachine,
OK  photo shot. quick out the car take pic and move to park normally. That is fine, no problem.

I have problem with bad car park etiquette too. In Cheshire . it is a mixture of fat women, young and middle aged with few manners, young Mums with 4WD and SUVs and other low lifes who seem ever more present in our society. Very sad.

I do drive an EV but have also seen ICE drivers park in the charger bays which I do not condone.

pantsmachine

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 09:10:03 PM »

Phil, none of that's me and i'm with the greatest of respect not seeking car parking approval. Appreciate the chat though and I can see where you are coming from. Smiley

I brought up the ev charging slot blocking by ICE earlier as it's the same outcome as a charger being out of order as per OP?

I also came back today to see an EV parked in the 2nd bay of a 2 bay station and not even plugged in. Which just goes to show that arseholery of the selfish variety is not restricted to ICE but widespread across humanity.

I'm just not a fan of it. As previously stated I don't think much of humanity. EV ownership is allowing me to see more of what I don't like, re selfish nature of a percentage.

Love the car though! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:29:46 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 09:58:33 PM »

Me at Costco this evening

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »

It's got a big battery charger on board

Biff
  It is not very green you know, The paintwork was just the same when it drove out of the factory. I sed  son, that ain't  a very green car at all and he said Grandad would like it..
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:21:54 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: