navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's Scruff?  (Read 2273 times)
heatherhopper

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »

For me the question should really be - what has happened to the forum?

Over the ten years or so I have been both lurker and member there has always been variation in the volume of traffic, the variety of posts and, dare I suggest, the apparent cliques. However in recent years any visitor may be forgiven for thinking they had stumbled into either a motoring forum, media report exchange, money saving advice centre, energy company publicity page, "new tech" consumables listings page, fringe energy policy think-tank or some strange hybrid of all those. I would not suggest all aspects of these categories are invalid as forum posts but their context often stretches the Renewable Energy and Sustainability credentials a bit. The forum stats (which make interesting reading over time) suggest they often attract limited interest and then from a very narrow section of the membership and guests.

Not surprising someone might think of armchairs.

I too had difficulty deciphering some of Scuff's posts but there were genuine nuggets of information in there and at least they all appeared to be his own. I hope he returns along with the many other informative posters that have left or just gone quiet. We should have some variety and there is positively nothing learned without negative dissent, of the ever-so-correct kind of course.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Stig

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 03:16:14 PM »

...however There is no doubt that scruff wanted to see more projects, likely homebrew, of which this place tends to be lacking these days,  turbines few & far between (space & laws of a small island) ..I recently took a washing machine apart & didn't bother to offer the parts here because gamers for the magnet ring at all just wouldn't have moved like it used to,  it's more box bought high end plug n play, no  Dhaslam, gravyminer, frotter type projects to keep abreast of any more.

I've been working on a DIY MVHR project which I'll start a thread on soon (with photos hopefully).
kdmnx

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 03:24:15 PM »

I've been working on a DIY MVHR project which I'll start a thread on soon (with photos hopefully).

Looking forward to it...

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 03:42:09 PM »

An increasing number of Scruffs later posts felt to me like he was deliberately targeting me. To be honest it was getting quite upsetting. If he had gone on much longer I would have complained to the moderators in any case, expertise or not.

Over the ten years or so I have been both lurker and member there has always been variation in the volume of traffic, the variety of posts and, dare I suggest, the apparent cliques. However in recent years any visitor may be forgiven for thinking they had stumbled into either a motoring forum, media report exchange, money saving advice centre, energy company publicity page, "new tech" consumables listings page, fringe energy policy think-tank or some strange hybrid of all those. I would not suggest all aspects of these categories are invalid as forum posts but their context often stretches the Renewable Energy and Sustainability credentials a bit. The forum stats (which make interesting reading over time) suggest they often attract limited interest and then from a very narrow section of the membership and guests.

I too had difficulty deciphering some of Scuff's posts but there were genuine nuggets of information in there and at least they all appeared to be his own. I hope he returns along with the many other informative posters that have left or just gone quiet. We should have some variety and there is positively nothing learned without negative dissent, of the ever-so-correct kind of course.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
kdmnx

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »

I always got the strong feeling that his posts were him talking into the void. He didn't take kindly to anyone actually replying to him.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 04:50:00 PM »

I agree with you Gus, I loved the way topics used to meander, adding a richness to the conversations on here.
Perhaps the lack of financial incentives and increased regulation has led to a lack of self build projects.

Russ's home build  journey with loads of pictures was great to see.

Personally would love to see other topics discussed it would be great to be able to attract  more lady forumites.
Religion and Politics are no go areas for the internal bile they can create, but  that leaves a host of areas.

To reiterate Ted and Biff, Scruff has not been booted and the missing posts were deleted by him.

Kidwelly South Wales
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 05:20:51 PM »

There is malice - or something akin to that - intended, when posts are deleted when leaving.  Not the usual departure on reasonable terms.

Not necessarily malice, more bitter feelings, (i'd be inclined to think) as to "worth" ..some forums are archived by more & therefore your posts may be cleaned up & binned anyway (not that it is the case with navi-forums) ..so if closing the door sometimes your own data cleansed in these times (so different to a decade of more of internet development history / "advance").

If finishing with a place I am happy to delete / request data footprint removal, I think though that with scruff it may be a "clean sheet" principle with a deleted login having taken umbrage at something,  (a determination not to come back down the line)..not everyone works at the same pace / rhythm of banged drum etc, ...Martin could be  both benevolent & hyper-critical ..as well as devious, such is the character of people.

I was interested in scruffs input  ..whether right or wrong, if all you do on Twitter (for example) is follow folk you agree with then it becomes a circle of onanists.

In terms of data, today I contemplated using my new (old) phone for a selfie, ..my first,  mirrored glasses, mask & that covering most of my features,  it is pre loaded software of an undetermined origin, ..yet suddenly it "required" all sorts of data & location access which I had to deny permissions to, ..it pee's me off to have  all this monitoring, it pee's me off that others are ignorant to it having grown up knowing nothing different than data intrusion, perhaps scruff is simply tidying up behind himself.

Perhaps we think too much.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:32:33 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
pantsmachine

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 05:31:02 PM »

An increasing number of Scruffs later posts felt to me like he was deliberately targeting me. To be honest it was getting quite upsetting. If he had gone on much longer I would have complained to the moderators in any case, expertise or not.

I found his posts to be interesting yet he did seem to like to attack anything that was not lead based and at least 10 years old. Ok maybe that's a bit extreme yet he DID also seemed to enjoy talking down to people who are legitimately saving tonnes of pollutants being thrown into the air. Regardless of the technical level they wish to be involved at. Is their contribution to cleaner air less legitimate or somehow unworthy due to the larger sums they have invested while not messing about with old scrap?

Armchair warriors. Hmmn, whatever wee man, whatever. Opinions and anatomy parts springs to mind.

I'll stick with the systems as listed below and help all I can on the forum while being very grateful to all who have and will help me and will save ten's of tonnes of pollutants in the process. I'll also be as nice as I can be as you've all been excellent to me. I don't want to be in a clique or put anyone off from posting. If i do anything like that I hope i'll be pulled up for it.  garden

AS SWMBO points out to me on a daily basis, I'm often wrong, gasp, shock horror. Not a problem with that at all!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:33:04 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wooden hot tu
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 06:46:47 PM »

I don't have much more to add,
     Scruff has had the advantage of having a wake and still being alive to enjoy it. Not many of us will equal that achievement.
  However, I think it is very bad taste to continue talking about Scruff, It is not fair. So I wish him every success on Fieldlines and his other 2 forums.
    So we moderators will take a little time to ponder and then hopefully shut down this thread.
      Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: