navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ME3000sp readings too high  (Read 1869 times)
Dannyg2325

« on: July 14, 2020, 07:52:38 PM »

Hi all

Hoping someone can help shed some light on this.
I’ve notice that the readings on my ME3000sp can be wildly inaccurate, and almost always on the high side. As an example, my pV is rated at 6.5kw and when operating at full tilt my sofar unit could read that it’s producing 8/9kw.
It does the same on what the house is consuming, reads very high.

I’m not sure if this is effecting my battery 🔋 or not when it comes to discharging.
It makes it very hard to monitor, especially through the Solarman app as all the figures are miles off Sad

I’m using 2 x 2.4kw pylontech extra2000 batteries, but they are 1st generation so no comms between battery and charger, I’m just running them as lead acid.

Any advice would be great Smiley
nowty

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 09:50:31 PM »

Are you using the original CT clamp ?

Have you changed the CTPV Scale Factor in the settings ?

From manual, copied below,

13. CTpv Scale Factor
Select“13.CTpv Scale Factor”,press“OK”,“input password”is shown.Input the password“0001”,press“Up”or“Down”to change the 1st digit,press“OK”to switch to next digit,when“0001”is shown on the screen,press“OK”. According to the PV actual quantity,press“Up”or“Down”to select the correct value.

Otherwise I don't know.

12kW+ of PV installed and 65+ MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 50+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Storage heaters of 15+ kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
6kW+ Ground source heatpump.
310,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 10:41:18 PM »

Mine is pretty much spot on and all I did was install the two supplied CT clamps (extended using CAT 5E cable) on the house feed and output from the small CU that collates the three PV systems.

I also monitor these with my OpenEnergyMonitor system and the values are within a few Watts of being the same.  The Immersun also monitors the house system to manage divert to the thermal store and that CT also lines up.

What firmware version do you have?  Mine is v2.1 and I think it's moved on to v2.3 now.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x Ø58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP /Pylon US2000 19.2kW
myenergi eddi
Dannyg2325

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »

Are you using the original CT clamp ?

Have you changed the CTPV Scale Factor in the settings ?

From manual, copied below,

13. CTpv Scale Factor
Select“13.CTpv Scale Factor”,press“OK”,“input password”is shown.Input the password“0001”,press“Up”or“Down”to change the 1st digit,press“OK”to switch to next digit,when“0001”is shown on the screen,press“OK”. According to the PV actual quantity,press“Up”or“Down”to select the correct value.

Otherwise I don't know.

Hi Nowty

It’s not the original clamps, it came with blue ones. If I can attach a pic I will.
The ctpv factor is set to 1.0 I think and this hasn’t been touched.
I did notice in that manual you sent, that there is an option for CT calibration etc, my unit doesn’t have that option.
But I’m only running V1.9 so maybe an upgrade could help 🤷🏼‍♂️

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 10:35:54 AM »

For what it is worth,
                PV actually produces much more power than the stated ratings,
  11 Years ago+ I took delivery of a pair of 165watt a 35v  PV panels. I had a 400ah x 48v forklift pack and a 400watt cement mixer.
  My digintal Chinese controller gave amps and voltage .The 2 PV panels were tied to the roof rack of my old defunct Transit van,
  Having already experienced PV power in our house, I Thought that the 330watt rating for the 2 x 165 watt panels would mean some lag ijn power,
  Not at all, The controller contained two big green resistors and a set of fans, which blew the heat all around the inside of the transit while the mixer was running.
  While the loaded  mixer was running the digital clocks read 56volts x 8.5 amps. Steady. I assumed that the clocks might not be telling the truth,
  The volt meter on the forklift pack revealed a steady 56volts which meant that the resistors were dumping in excess of 8.5amps,
  Remember that 8.5 x 56 =476 watt,  and still dumping the excess in the form of heat.
  I recorded this here on Navitron at the time and said that the power companies were making a fortune out of the 4kw domestic installations,
  My observations would have been confirmed my the birth of the ImmerSuns which redirected the excess over 4kw to other duties as well as water heating.
  So, Yes, PV does a lot lot more than it says on the tin.
          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
nowty

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 12:58:26 PM »

Dannyg2325

If your not using the original clamps and they are not the same spec then its not surprising its not reading right. Try changing the CT scale factor to something like 0.6 or 0.7 and see what it gives you.

The CT calibration function (I have not got that either, so it must be a later firmware.), I think is a new function to give an offset in watts to the grid point monitoring clamp so you can set a minimum import or export.

12kW+ of PV installed and 65+ MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 50+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Storage heaters of 15+ kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
6kW+ Ground source heatpump.
310,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Dannyg2325

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 01:09:23 PM »

Well yes that had crossed my mind too.
Looking at the clamps they are rated for 100A that’s really all they say. But yes there may well something about them that’s throwing the reading off.
I’ll make contact with some of the distributors and see if I can get a couple of originals. In the mean time I’ll adjust the scale factor and see if that brings it back in line.
As greentangerine was saying, I too have an immersun, and it reads pretty accurate. But obviously I’ve had nothing to compare it to until now. But I take my PV readings direct from the inverters and the Sofar is definitely way out 🤦🏼‍♂️

Thanks for the input 👍🏻
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 09:29:17 PM »

How have you wired the CT. What cable cross sectional area and length. Is the impedance to high leading to CT saturation.
championc

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »

I’m using 2 x 2.4kw pylontech extra2000 batteries, but they are 1st generation so no comms between battery and charger, I’m just running them as lead acid.

Would you mind sharing your "Default" Battery Type settings.  I know the Pylontech's are 15s.  I am looking to replace my Lead-Acids with 3.2v LiFePO4's but cannot decide between going with 15s or 16s.

Type Default
Capacity xxxAh
Discharge Depth =< 80%
Max Charge 40A
Over Protection
Max Charge
Max Discharge 40A
Low Protection
Min Discharge
Empty Discharged
Fully Charged

P.S.  Here's a link to the latest v2.5 firmware if anyone needs it - https://www.dropbox.com/s/x595gjxxcuy3v3q/ME3000SP_2.5_Firmware.zip?dl=0
book_woorm

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 08:23:35 AM »

Its amost certainly the effect of the wrong CT Clamps. The ones that came with my Sofar  have 3000 turns. The blue ones in your photo are probably a different value

2.4 Kw Kyocera Panels (west facing) Feronius inverter; Sonenkraft Solar Thermal with Twin 180Lt & 280 Lt Thermal Stores; SAP 'A' rated property with UFH & wood burner. Full weather compensation on the UFH buffer temperature & differential controller decides where the heat from the wood burner goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: