navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoe Battery lease vehicles not selling at auction.  (Read 701 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: July 17, 2020, 12:40:26 PM »

Note please: ZOE (whether a good condition 2014 model or 2017) ..i've been watching the same ones pop up into my auction feed for most of this year (wife reckons ALL of this year).

The lease BATTERY model resale maybe needs a tweak by renault (others with lease have also been slow to move) as surely all this time is burning residual value away anyway (not to mention lot fee's).

I understand it was deemed necessary "back in the day" we all remember the news comparing BEV power systems to that of the mobile phone... but this is now getting ridiculous & "surely"!? has not gone unnoticed by Renault.

Does anyone know anyone at renault well enough to comment?
Every time a zoe BEV comes up it is the same.

I haven't seen any charger points at any BCA property yet, so presumably these are found a trickle charge, ..either way it does no good for the reputation of lower end BEV's at a commercial level.

Ideal older person "still wants a car but in reality rarely drives it" scenario if you can void that darned battery lease based on battery pack prices years back that do not tally with the present.

Incidentally saw 3 low milage 2017 (last of) "ION's" listed the other day 6-7k on each ..they are actually sought after.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 12:42:27 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
kdmnx

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 01:48:33 PM »

What is your view on residential values of BEVs vs ICE cars?

I keep reading articles predicting ICEs falling off a cliff and BEVs holding their values. However I havenít seen it. Iíve even seen people claiming Teslas having the highest residual values of any car. But again a quick look at Auto Trader shows £100k (When new) Teslas With £30k asking prices (after a few years).

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
marshman

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 02:43:59 PM »

I keep reading articles predicting ICEs falling off a cliff and BEVs holding their values. However I havenít seen it. Iíve even seen people claiming Teslas having the highest residual values of any car. But again a quick look at Auto Trader shows £100k (When new) Teslas With £30k asking prices (after a few years).

At the moment I think used prices must be all over the place. New car sales/registrations "fell off a cliff" in March/April/May which will have a knock on effect of producing a shortage in the used car market. This will of course be countered by a similar decreased demand for used cars BUT the demand has anecdotally been pushed up as people have looked to buy cars to use for commuting because of the restrictions / risks in using public transport.  T think it will be  a while before the dust settles and some balance returns to the market and an assessment of the relative used prices made.

I do agree with Mr Gus on the lease battery issue - £50 a month is a deal killer for me, that cost will get me 500 miles of petrol for my Pug 106.  Battery life/replacement issues (or lack there of) is similar to the scare stories of having to replace your PV inverter every 5 years when PV first started to get popular (when FiTs first came in). From the evidence I have seen neither is true.

I like the Zoe as it is ideal for what we would want as a runabout BUT I won't consider paying £50 a month on top of say £6k for a 5 year old small car and still have to pay to actually charge it up.

I think Renault should have a buy out policy at a sensible price (may be they do already). 

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 02:48:29 PM »

Tesla 3 seems to depreciate pretty darned slowly according to this.
https://electrek.co/2020/07/16/tesla-model-3-retains-90-percent-value-3-years-study/

As to the rest of the thread - I'm slightly confused - is it that early Zoes which had a battery lease are selling, or they're not?  Are more recent Zoes without a lease selling better?  Surely the ones with a battery lease still in place are therefore much cheaper to acquire? 

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
MR GUS

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »

Dan, it is all in the title.

Now, modern zoe's so far rarely come up, ..guess the leases aren't up or folk hanging on longer (sensible).

Modern BEV zoes when they do, only take one or two auctions to pass through again.

Food for thought though, apart from the odd tesla S from 2017 or earlier in the uk I don't tend to see high mileage BEV.

Flipside of the coin though is BCA europe (mainland) with 100,000k on the clock regularly ..it might sway it that a section of the french post is BEV test bed for Renault ...if living in france & you want a cheap bigger wheelbase BEV kangoo van for transporting crud in (in yellow only) you could do worse than a postal van.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »

Pre covid, uk only yes, the few & far between BEV in a list of 1000 or more cars on auction day were commanding decent money on the hammer (fee's on top).
Currently it is all online only, &  that's the burn! ..software & layout for uk BCA is in the stone age compared to BCA europe where you get more info on one page, often even a photo of the underside of the vehicle (BEV tray anyone)? & 18 photo's not 8 to base a purchase on.

..sadly therefore it is anyones guess, some dealer accounts are fine buying without viewing, but again descriptons & gradings vary in consistency, accuracy & detail.

For instance I cannot check the charger status (onboard upgrade) for a smart ED without the vin. ..BCA are simply sending out automated DNGAF copy & paste emails ..for both the duration & the forseeable.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
brackwell

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 07:10:00 PM »

You can only charge a Zoe on AC and not very fast compared to a rapid charger. Further more the vast majority of rapid chargers being fitted do not have provision for AC charging as they used to.
MR GUS

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 01:12:48 PM »

+1 Brackwell.

Incidentally, overnight a grade 4 (worst condition) has popped up, ...it is battery owned, I anticipate that will be gone within 2 auction sessions, (Newcastle location).

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 01:06:09 PM »

The Newcastle GRADE 4 sold easily! (battery owned)

There are 3  grade 1 LEASE that are continuing NOT to sell
(2014 & 2016).

Battery lease is going to present a problem for Renault.
Might be some bargaining leverage for anyone who wishes to hassle a salesman for fun. (would be interesting to find out).

"give me the battery" & i'll buy the car at the current price.  whistlie ..save you putting it through again, ..& again, & again.

On  a different note, interesting to see BCA europe getting to grips with EV (better than uk arm)  Electric fridays ...& a youtube presence.
 https ://youtu.be/k0tqIwN5NZc
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:32:54 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: