navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little road trip  (Read 2692 times)
dan_b

SW London

« on: July 21, 2020, 08:02:56 PM »

So this morning I set off on a bit of a lunatic road trip with my Tesla and my push bike.

Today I drove from SW London, to Venosc, in the French Alps.
679 miles door to door.
I set off this morning with the car at 98% SOC at 5am.
Charged 4 times en route using Tesla Superchargers. (more on those anon).
Arrived at my destination just before 7pm French time. I missed my scheduled Eurotunnel crossing due to the queue for a coffee at Folkestone.
I didn't spare the horses at all en route. Basically drove as fast I was comfortable with, and the Tesla SatNav essentially guided me to the next suitable Supercharger station - generally after about 2 hours of driving, and then generally a 25-30 minute charging stop.

679 miles driven
231 kWh consumed
Average efficiency of 340 Wh/mile.
Where ever possible I was on Autopilot, cruising at 140-150 km/h.

The first Supercharger stop was at Folkestone, and wasn't actually "called for" by the SatNav as I still had 49% SOC when I got to Folkestone. But I thought I might as well top up there whilst I was waiting. Got a peak charge rate of 82kW there.

Second Supercharger stop was at Urvilliers. Got 118kW peak there.

Third stop was at Chateauvillian. Arrived with just 3% SOC and the air-con had disabled itself to save power!  Got 119kW peak there.

Final stop was at a place called Macon. Again got 119kW peak. 

Got to my destination with 15% SOC and the car is now having a well earned rest and cool down, sipping at the local French domestic electricity supply pulling 2kW.

What was interesting is that the car didn't need to pre-heat the batteries for "optimal charging rate" when coming to the next Supercharger. I guess what with the ambient temps being 30+C and me driving it pretty hard it didn't need to put any extra heat in!

I'll add a few photos later, but I have to say, that was a flawless, and utterly straightforward and pretty relaxing journey.  Just me in the car, Autopilot doing a lot of the work, and the Superchargers just work, seamlessly.  I'm not sure I would have done that journey with any fewer stops in an ICE vehicle anyway - ok maybe I'd not have stopped for 20-30 mins each time, but I don't think I'd have got here much faster in a "700 mile range diesel".   And all of these Superchargers are "only" 130 or 150kW units (a peak rate which I never saw even with very low SoC at one stop).  I guess if I'd have stopped at Ionity I could maybe have saved 5mins at each stop?

Anyway - thought people might be interested.   My road trip will continue over the coming days so will post some more stuff.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
pantsmachine

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 08:57:44 PM »

Outstanding Dan, have a choc au  pain for us all tomorrow, I look forward to the photos.

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wooden hot tu
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 02:09:10 AM »

Very interesting info Dan,regarding the trip energy consumption data,  have not worked it out yet , the power, comparing it to your Motorway trip of a few days ago in the UK.

A few years ago I travelled several times to Paul Ricard circuit in the Var to mechanic for UK former World Champion Endurance Motorcycle Team.  Mostly in the team van but once in the car, a Diesel Renault 19. 9-10 hours each way from Calais including two diesel stops and a very necessary detanking of waste water.
France is a big country.

On your Journey, on the way to Macon, you passed Cruas NPP, The one with the 4 cooling towers ( One has a young boy painted on it) The other one near Macon, right next to the Autoroute,  Tricastin NPP, ran the biggest electrical load (3GW on the same site) in France.

BTW whilst you were travelling down through France, The UK was exporting about 2GW to France for most of the morning and afternoon. They must have known you were going so made provision with some extra electric. ( Makes a change I suppose).

All that fast charging and loading the batteries kept them nice and warm, so less if any preheating required, so straight into the fast charge. Keep us posted.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 07:18:47 AM »

I think my kWh consumption works out at an MPGe of approx 65 - pretty good considering the speed I was going, but does show you how much of an impact speed has on efficiency!

A few snaps.
One thing I've discovered - because the EV charging points are generally located well away from the main petrol station- there are never any windscreen squeegey cleaning things nearby - which is a bit of a problem after 600 miles of hammering it - bug splats everywhere!

I got chatting to a British couple who had a Model S which they'd owned for 6 years - a very early adopter. They're planning on replacing it with a Model 3.

The Supercharger inverters chuck out a LOT of heat from those active exhausts. Blimey.

Autosteer disables itself for the rest of the drive if you go manually take over the throttle and go past 150km/h.  Apparently.

Will add some more later - just off for a bike ride now.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 07:24:29 AM by dan_b » Logged

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 07:50:04 AM »

Be aware Dan, French traffic cops have sense of humour surgically removed in order to get the job. A GB registered sports car flaunting speed limits would make their day. If on a bad day they can take your keys away and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere 'pour encourager les autres' .

Kidwelly South Wales
oliver90owner

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 07:54:42 AM »

Less than 3 miles per kWh, for that journey, has certainly reduced your overall average to 3 1/2 miles per kWh!

You were reporting 5.2 miles/kWh@ 65 mph recently. Certainly some drop, to 2.9 miles/kWh on this trip!

So which had you stolen (reference to a previous post) this time?  The car or the bike?🙂

RAB
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 08:08:25 AM »

Impressive  Dan, fingers crossed!
           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »

Hope you have your breathalyser twin pack in the car too.

Luckily I haven't been pulled up by french police for 19-20 years, but yes, they are a potential menace.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:58:09 AM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »

Mind the Douanes, the French Customs police. They are thieving bar stewards par excellance too.
M

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 12:46:48 PM »

Hiya Dan. Are you able to use those supercharger miles I got you, and if so, do you think they'll cover the trip ...... if you slow down a tad?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 12:52:18 PM »

Never pulled for speeding, our old van would have found that flattering Roll Eyes
However breath analysed 3 times in one day.
Old white van driven slowly by man of certain age, equates to farmer who has lunched well!
Easy pull facepalm

My neighbour had just driven carefully past a fix point camera, in his wife's BMW mini Cooper, decided to test it out on an empty dual carriage  when he was zapped from a bridge in excess (well in excess) of the speed limit. At the next roundabout  stopped, car parked, up keys taken. I don't think he helped his cause by questioning the cop's lineage! His wife had to come and pick him up. onpatrol Keys collected from the gendarmerie the next day.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:56:43 PM by todthedog » Logged

Kidwelly South Wales
MR GUS

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »

I still cannot get used to the wine with lunch at the excellent motorway stops / mega-carrefour eateries.
My daughter was impressed at kids eats there (she was observing as usual, ..her forte is a blue bavette steak, & has just got into good coffee in the past 12 months, ...don't think she'll ever frequent a starbucks or costa's as a result.

Good to see some alternate mileage data from your road trip compared to what you've been citing for the unknown quantity of London city traffic miles to date, chalk & cheese, it is going to be screwed up a bit by the obvious rolling (altitude) of the varied countryside. ...which bearing in mind our run down the valley to Sallanche is mainly downhill would be a wonderful video exercise in regen on a mountain climb & descent basis ...if you get the chance, please do oblige as many folk pant-poop when they think mountains & EV's.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
oliver90owner

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 01:51:26 PM »

... if you get the chance, please do oblige as many folk pant-poop when they think mountains & EV's.

Whatever they ’pant-poop’ about up-hill and down-hill, the down-hill gains must be less than the up-hill losses.  There are motor and generation losses in each direction.
MR GUS

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 02:19:48 PM »

Yes, however an ICE vehicle technically encounters losses uphill due to additional demands, & maybe on the downhill (other factors, engine as a brake, lack of regen etc).

It is nice to have contextual info on energy give & take in real world environments other than "on the flats" & massaged industry figures ..breaking more EV stigmas.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
daveluck_uk

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 04:47:43 PM »

Never pulled for speeding, our old van would have found that flattering Roll Eyes
However breath analysed 3 times in one day.
Old white van driven slowly by man of certain age, equates to farmer who has lunched well!
Easy pull facepalm

Here it always the old boy on a two wheel tractor / trailer combo. Normally just after 4pm. That or the axioms

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: