navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little road trip  (Read 2684 times)
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »

The pics enclosed earlier by the steep gorge and the graffitti showed that the charger had a 3 phase supply.

Very good effort for cycling up Mont Ventoux.    I have seen it from the Paul Ricard Circuit. The top of it looks like the surface of the moon. I then think about Tom Simpsons fateful ride on the Tour de France in 1967.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:46:29 AM by Philip R » Logged
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2020, 09:02:32 PM »

Back on the road again today - 400 miles north west to my next destination near Poitiers, although with what turned out to be a pretty big diversion to take in crossing the Milau Viaduct - an awesome structure.  The Autoroute Meridienne is an impressive bit of road building too - lots of rather enjoyable high speed curves, and amusingly long stretches of 7% descents.  Think I re-genned quite a lot on those hills.  

Started off with 95% charge, had two Supercharger stops - first one I got down to 2%!  Second one was a "splash and dash" charge as arrived at the charger with 60% SoC, but needed a 10min boost in order to make it to my destination, according to the Tesla Sat Nav.

Experienced my first queue at a Supercharger though at that second spot and some interesting messages from Tesla which shows how they are trying to manage sites with high demand...

Also then rather amusingly, when I got close to my destination, I got a warning that there were "no known chargers in range".  Fortunately my hosts have allowed me to hook up!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:11:54 PM by dan_b » Logged

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2020, 09:35:08 PM »

That sounds like a very satisfying trip Dan. The Milau bridge is an experience to cross, it certainly beats the traffic jam down into and back out of the valley we used to endure, and how impressed are you at the amount of wind turbines scattered about the countryside? Lots of clean leccy for your car, what's not to like. Are you missing the potholes yet? wait till you get back to blighty, it is very reassuring bouncing around like corks to welcome you home facepalm I love it down in the south of France, I wish I had the jingle bells jingle bells to move over there really.

Good luck with your trip.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2020, 01:57:12 PM »

Alas today marks the end of my holiday and my voyage home commences.

Set off with a full 100% battery and no real time pressure so have been enjoying a slightly slower pace of movement.

First stop is Rouen supercharger which as you can see is what you might call busy!

Did 264 miles in this first stint arriving with 7% battery  consuming 64kWh so an average of 241Wh/mile.
Worth noting that at 50% charge I had driven 160 miles having consumed 35kWh.   So clearly the 300-320mile range is doable (I sped up somewhat the last hour!)

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »

Oh and of course, power sharing between the stalls is in effect as it’s so busy which unfortunately then makes the charging sessions take longer.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2020, 11:38:17 PM »

A final charge up at Calais waiting for the Eurotunnel to do its thing and then a quick blast up the M20/M26/M25/M3 to get home.

Here are the numbers

1935 miles driven
571 kWh of electrons consumed
295 Wh/mile average efficiency.

I have to say the car was ridiculously good- fast, comfortable, quiet, and the way that Superchargers are integrated into the SatNav and indeed that billing is also integrated into the car is just magic. And Autopilot really came into its own for me on these long stints where as a solo driver you could still make progress but not feel so tired. Yes there were queues at Rouen but it’s wasn’t the end of the world. And yes there needs to be a lot more better joined up thinking for how information about EV charging stations is shared so they they’re as easy to locate as a petrol station is today.

But!

It’s absolutely possible to do long stupid road trips in an electric car with what’s available now.. Yes the Tesla M3 is still and expensive car, but it’s half the price of the Model S/ Jag iPace/ Audi eTron etc and shows that we’re on the cusp of BEVs being completely normal. I saw a lot of BEVs on my trip. It really seems like we’re at that “tipping point”

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2020, 06:03:17 AM »

Well done Dan enjoyed the story and the pics

Kidwelly South Wales
kdmnx

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2020, 06:09:06 AM »

Nice thread Dan, I enjoyed the pics and analysis too. Would you mind sharing the ecconomics of the trip? How much where you charged for the charging? How did that work £/mile £/kWh?

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2020, 10:32:56 AM »

Ok just done some maths based on this trip.

Total distance  - 1935 miles
Energy consumed  - 571 kWh
Average consumption - 295 Wh/mile
Petrol consumption equivalent (Uk gallon)  - 67 mpg-e

Paid charging sessions - 407.6 kWh
Free charging sessions - 163.9 kWh
Cost of all charging - £104.50

Cost per mile - 19p/mile  edit it was actually 5p/mile!

8x Tesla Supercharger visits en-route
1x "El-Born" 50kW CCS visit over lunch
1x Ubitricity 5kW lamppost charge before I left
1x Tesla 11kW destination charge one evening over dinner
Many hours on 2kW granny cable charges at various places of accommodation.

Most kWh pumped in in a single charge - 62kWh at the Supercharger in Chateauvillain.

Driving style - mostly " don't spare the horses, get there as fast as possible", with occasional bouts of "ooh nice scenery" and "local bimble to the shops run", plus one concerted attempt to "drive efficiently" for a couple of hours with air-con off.   But otherwise, I drove to cover the miles fast and not be concerned with consumption.

It was slightly mad, and shows that EVs are certainly viable for those edge case once-a-year family holiday drives.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:18:40 AM by dan_b » Logged

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Bugtownboy

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »

Dan, interesting thread ! While reading I wondered if there’s any preferential pricing on any of the toll autoroutes for BEV’s as a form of incentive ?
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2020, 10:38:12 AM »

I didn't notice any reduced tolls on the Autoroutes for BEVs - I don't know enough about French vehicle taxes, maybe they have incentives for ZE vehicles like we do in the UK?   

I was using my Liber-T  Peage tag so I'll get the rather hefty motorway toll bill at the end of the month!

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Bugtownboy

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2020, 10:42:42 AM »

Know what you mean - often tolls can cost more than fuel  Sad
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »

And here are a few flybys of some of the cycling I did - which was the whole point of this crazy dash across France!

Alpe D'Huez - https://www.relive.cc/view/vXOdBzdkp4q
Ventoux - https://www.relive.cc/view/vPOpNBQD1Eq
TT Bike training - https://www.relive.cc/view/vXOdBDWErkq

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
M

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2020, 01:50:41 PM »

Flippin heck Dan, I got tired just watching the replays.

Think I'll have a lie down now and some chocolate.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2020, 08:01:54 PM »

Great thread Dan one to point the EV doubters to, definitive evidence an EV can go a long way. We did a similar trip last year to the south of France and just into Spain, I will compare our consumption to yours just for fun if you don't mind?

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: