navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which smart EV chargers DON'T stiff you for app use?  (Read 530 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: July 23, 2020, 06:05:41 PM »

Don't like getting stiffed for an expensive item that you then have to pay a premium (ongoing) such as for rolec "smart" ev charger which is around 98 for 3 years (& they get all your data right?

The other thing I hate about "smart" app kit is the fact they keep you on the new phone upgrade route.. so you get stiffed twice when you find out your phone doesn't work with their kit anymore / never did ..adding to the glorious pile of e-waste nne of us need but actively cause!

No-one will give you a straight answer as to how long they commit to maintaining software in relation to the design life of their kit.

I liked the simplicity of rolec till I found out of the fee's (or else it gets turned into a dumb charger)

Basically I'd rather refuse "refuse" & buy into (sensibly) honest engineering.

The other early contender for smart EV chargers  (shoot me if i'm wrong) were also responsible for some shonky follow up on their immersion kit yes? (no names but you can likely put 2 +2 together ..if wrong I'd prefer it didn't get into the webs algorithm as mis-information in key word searches.

Otherwise i'm going to carry on simply relying on free app remote stop / start from a manuf & be done with it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:08:42 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
kdmnx

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 06:35:30 PM »

I modified my dumb Rolec to be controlled by a smart plug. Not difficult...

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
brackwell

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 07:06:29 PM »

https://www.speakev.com/threads/using-zappi-e-sense-feature-to-boost-charge-onplunge-pricing-by-octopus-agile.150879/
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 08:21:05 PM »

Good reading potential that i'll bookmark for tomorrow ...& hopefully remember.
Cheers

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 11:58:12 PM »

Interesting article on one way to do it. 

I've installed an Open EVSE but the car delivery date has slipped from tomorrow to October (sigh) so no opportunity to mess about with the control yet but intending to use MQTT driven by jobs running on a Pi to automate the operation as much as I can. 

Already doing the same with the PV diversion to my thermal store and buffer tank, controlling my battery pile etc.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP /Pylon US2000 19.2kW
myenergi eddi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: