navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2's + Solar iBoost = Problem?  (Read 2695 times)
Aunat

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 07:35:26 PM »

Just to be sure, the Hot tub is on Phase 1, the iBoost and immersion are on Phase 2 and the CT is one Phase 3. But when the Hot tub is turned on the iBoost starts diverting 2.95kW to the immersion?

Is the Hot tub a nominal 3kW?

Hot tub phase 1 - correct
iBoost and Immersion on phase 2 - correct
CT is currently on phase 3 - correct (with the arrows pointing the wrong way)

But when hot tub is turned on the iboost diverts 2.95-3kW to the immersion. - correct.

The hot tub has a 3kW heater and a 3kW pump for the jets, so when both are on, it pulls 6kW. It's on a 16A breaker, single phase of course.

Edit:

Looking at you photo there are 3 neutrals joined together, presumably one for each phase, but no neutral linked to the supply - a I right or have I missed something?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean - would you like another picture?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:37:38 PM by Aunat » Logged

20.075kW - 55 x 365W LG Neon R (East/South/West)
15kW SolarEdge 3 phase inverter
3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Solar iBoost+ /w firmware v8
Tesla X 100D
Aunat

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »

Some further pictures. The array is currently producing 1.9kW @ 7:59pm and the batteries are at 87% STOC. The iboost is bascially on full chat.

* photo_2020-07-27_19-56-38.jpg (215.8 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 169 times.)

* photo_2020-07-27_19-55-21.jpg (152.51 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 162 times.)

* photo_2020-07-27_19-59-34 (2).jpg (35.03 KB, 591x1280 - viewed 158 times.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:47:43 PM by Aunat » Logged

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Countrypaul

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »

Looking at you photo there are 3 neutrals joined together, presumably one for each phase, but no neutral linked to the supply - a I right or have I missed something?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean - would you like another picture?

Ok, my mistake, from your earlier picture I could see a JB with just 3 neutrals in but now I can see that each neutral is linked back to the supply and the JB I was looking at was just where you take two separate neutrals off to something else.
Aunat

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 08:00:59 PM »

No problem.

How do I troubleshoot this issue? any ideas? It's only been bothering me for a year lol.

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Countrypaul

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 08:04:28 PM »

Does the isolator switch you have allow you to isolate each phase independantly, or only all 3 at the same time?

If you can isolate each phase separately, I was wondering if you isolate phases 1&3 and put the CT back on phase 2 whether the iBoost behaves properly?

My understanding of 3phase which is not great is that the total current in any 2 phases can be opposite to the current in the 3rd phase. That would mean if you have a 12Amp (3kW) load on one phase you would have -12Amp on the other phases. This might explain why turning a load on for a different phase to the one the iBoost is on triggers the iBoost even though there is no net export.
Fintray

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 08:06:26 PM »

"however batteries are currently at 72% charge and it's raining so, hopefully later today I'll come back with results. The theory is that once they reach 100% it should 'export' to the immersion, right?"

Just to clarify are your three Powerwalls linked together on the grey phase? If so I can't see how the Tesla app is showing it drawing a load when the iBoost is diverting power to the immersion.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Aunat

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 08:45:55 PM »

Does the isolator switch you have allow you to isolate each phase independantly, or only all 3 at the same time?

If you can isolate each phase separately, I was wondering if you isolate phases 1&3 and put the CT back on phase 2 whether the iBoost behaves properly?

My understanding of 3phase which is not great is that the total current in any 2 phases can be opposite to the current in the 3rd phase. That would mean if you have a 12Amp (3kW) load on one phase you would have -12Amp on the other phases. This might explain why turning a load on for a different phase to the one the iBoost is on triggers the iBoost even though there is no net export.

I don't think I can isolate one phase, or two. It's either all or none.

"however batteries are currently at 72% charge and it's raining so, hopefully later today I'll come back with results. The theory is that once they reach 100% it should 'export' to the immersion, right?"

Just to clarify are your three Powerwalls linked together on the grey phase? If so I can't see how the Tesla app is showing it drawing a load when the iBoost is diverting power to the immersion.

No - each phase has it's own Powerwall.

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
brackwell

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »

I am not sure you can even do what your attempting.  When 3Ph comes into the house you can pick off one of the Ph to give single Ph as you have done. This single Ph supply knows nothing about the rest, it does not even exist. What ever you do on the other single Ph supplies is irrelevant. Thats my understanding.

Why are you asking here and not the manufacturers of the equipment.

Assuming you inverter is exporting over all 3 Ph then if you fitted your CT clamp just after the inverter then your I boost would see an export at that point and switch on.

To get the 3 Ph to work as you have been trying then i think you need to pass all 3Ph wires through the clamp and then the clamp will register the net amount but will only come on as the last thing after house and batts.
Alan D

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 09:43:23 PM »

The Neutral goes from the incoming three phase supply to the meter.
From the meter to the three phase isolation switch.

Where does the neutral go from there. Double insulated grey cable with blue tape on it. Huh
Aunat

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 09:49:28 PM »

I am not sure you can even do what your attempting.  When 3Ph comes into the house you can pick off one of the Ph to give single Ph as you have done. This single Ph supply knows nothing about the rest, it does not even exist. What ever you do on the other single Ph supplies is irrelevant. Thats my understanding.

Why are you asking here and not the manufacturers of the equipment.

Assuming you inverter is exporting over all 3 Ph then if you fitted your CT clamp just after the inverter then your I boost would see an export at that point and switch on.

To get the 3 Ph to work as you have been trying then i think you need to pass all 3Ph wires through the clamp and then the clamp will register the net amount but will only come on as the last thing after house and batts.

Aahaa well that does make sense I guess...

The manual states this:

How can I use a Solar iBoost+ on my three phase system?
There are 2 possible options:

1. Use one Solar iBoost+ on one phase with its own 3kW immersion or resistive load. In three phase
systems it is very rare that all phases are equally loaded so we recommend that the installer connects
the Solar iBoost+, the clamp and immersion to the phase with the lowest load.
2. Fit one Solar iBoost+ onto each phase, each with up to 3kW of load.

My understanding is that it was fitted to the lowest loaded phase which was 2, because we hardly use oven 2 you see. That's the only piece of equipment that would generate any decent load on that phase.

I could call them, but it's hard enough trying to explain to someone when I don't quite fully understand myself, so I was kinda hoping someone here could enlighten me.  genuflect

The Neutral goes from the incoming three phase supply to the meter.
From the meter to the three phase isolation switch.

Where does the neutral go from there. Double insulated grey cable with blue tape on it. Huh

I'm not sure... genuinely no idea.

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
chris_n

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 07:37:24 AM »

Phase 2 and 3 swapped in th D.B?
ceisra

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »

As an ex electrical engineer I can see a few issues which MAY be causing your problem.
From the large picture copied below.

Your current clamp and coiled white cable are resting against all 3 incoming live supplies and may also be against the neutral.

I would remove the 3 cable ties on the right hand side of the box and then separate out the 3 live cables  that leave the top of the isolator switch from the bunch of 6 cables. If possible then reattach your clamp  onto the required phase with 50mm spacing from any other cable, also uncoil the clamp cable and place the transmitter in the bottom of the box.

This may have no effect but its a first step

Roger

16 X 240W Panasonic panels with a 3.6 ABB ( PowerOne ) inverter
http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=40128&sid=36661
Aunat

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:33 AM »

Phase 2 and 3 swapped in th D.B?

Could be, but will need a qualified electrician to check..

As an ex electrical engineer I can see a few issues which MAY be causing your problem.
From the large picture copied below.

Your current clamp and coiled white cable are resting against all 3 incoming live supplies and may also be against the neutral.

I would remove the 3 cable ties on the right hand side of the box and then separate out the 3 live cables  that leave the top of the isolator switch from the bunch of 6 cables. If possible then reattach your clamp  onto the required phase with 50mm spacing from any other cable, also uncoil the clamp cable and place the transmitter in the bottom of the box.

This may have no effect but its a first step

Roger

Done that, and confirmed it's back on phase 2 and pointing the correct way as per this guide: https://www.marlec.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SiB-Guide-1-Correct-Clamp.pdf?v=79cba1185463

Unfortunately I'm still getting the same issue - where I put the oven on (phase 3) and the iBoost kicks in to life..... I've logged a support call with Marlec, who are going to take two days to get back to me, so let's see.

Any other advice, or anything else I can try? Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA!

* photo_2020-07-27_19-56-38.jpg (234.71 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 106 times.)

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
chris_n

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 11:30:31 AM »

The hot tub has a 3kW heater and a 3kW pump for the jets, so when both are on, it pulls 6kW. It's on a 16A breaker, single phase of course.

6kW is 25A so shouldn't be on a 16A breaker!
ceisra

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »

Sorry did not explain correctly
Add the clamp to the required  cable ( with spacing ) that goes  from the top of the isolator to bottom of box.
What is happening in my mind is the clamp is picking up current from a different phase due to the close proximity of the other cables.

Roger

16 X 240W Panasonic panels with a 3.6 ABB ( PowerOne ) inverter
http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=40128&sid=36661
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: