navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2's + Solar iBoost = Problem?  (Read 2701 times)
Aunat

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »

The hot tub has a 3kW heater and a 3kW pump for the jets, so when both are on, it pulls 6kW. It's on a 16A breaker, single phase of course.

6kW is 25A so shouldn't be on a 16A breaker!

I doubled checked, and it's on a 32A breaker. That's my fault for not checking the breaker. Apologies.

20.075kW - 55 x 365W LG Neon R (East/South/West)
15kW SolarEdge 3 phase inverter
3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Solar iBoost+ /w firmware v8
Tesla X 100D
marcus

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 01:00:00 PM »

As a sparks it often surprises me how many of my fellow sparks are lazy about keeping track of phases - particularly in 'single phase consumption' DB's where 'it doesn't make any difference'.

So I'm with the others who suspect the phases are mixed up at the DB. You've tried moving the clamp onto Ph3 already; could you try it on PH1? Then if it still doesn't work either way on that cable then at least we've ruled it out.
chris_n

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2020, 01:03:49 PM »

Looking further back in the thread when you moved the CT on to phase 3 your loads on phase 1 started affecting it. This is again looking like the DB phase 123 do not correlate with the incoming 123. You could take the front off the DB yourself if you turn off the switch on the incoming supply at the bottom to at least see if the cable markings correlate.
Is it possible to see the loads on individual phases on the meter?
Aunat

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »

Sorry did not explain correctly
Add the clamp to the required  cable ( with spacing ) that goes  from the top of the isolator to bottom of box.
What is happening in my mind is the clamp is picking up current from a different phase due to the close proximity of the other cables.

Roger

I assume you mean like this Roger, and it seems to work. I'll only definitively know the answer when the batteries STOC is <100% and I can put the oven on. At the minute it's being cleaned so out of action  genuflect

* photo_2020-07-28_13-16-00.jpg (221.94 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 188 times.)

* photo_2020-07-28_13-16-08.jpg (123.75 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 195 times.)

* photo_2020-07-28_13-16-11.jpg (35.53 KB, 591x1280 - viewed 185 times.)

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
chris_n

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 01:09:41 PM »

As a sparks it often surprises me how many of my fellow sparks are lazy about keeping track of phases - particularly in 'single phase consumption' DB's where 'it doesn't make any difference'.

So I'm with the others who suspect the phases are mixed up at the DB. You've tried moving the clamp onto Ph3 already; could you try it on PH1? Then if it still doesn't work either way on that cable then at least we've ruled it out.
Crossed posts, I remember getting a call from one of my techs (electrician) at about 4 in the morning, as their shift started we were just getting running after a digger had damaged our incoming cable. All machinery on the shop floor was single phase but during the night they couldn't get roller shutters and dock levelers to work. After he explained what was going on he was told to "change the f'ing phases". I could hear his sigh as I put the phone down!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:35:50 PM by chris_n » Logged
Aunat

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2020, 01:10:38 PM »

I'm 99.99% sure I've moved the clamp to phase 1 in the past with similar useless results...

In regards to checking the phases at the distribution board, someone is coming later this week who is qualified. But yes this had been my main thought process, thinking that it could be incorrectly labelled on the distribution board.

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Mostie

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2020, 01:47:35 PM »

ok so here's my thoughts on this, I reckon its the meter  tomatosplat  you can have 3 phase with 3 single meters, when my parents place was changed to a single 3 phase meter we got the sum of all the phases through the meter, so .... it has 10kw of PV and 3 inverters, the PV diverter is DIY from here   https://mk2pvrouter.co.uk/3-phase-version.html
it monitors all 3 phase currents and all 3 phase voltages, it diverts to 2, single phase immersions.

I wonder if it would make a difference if you moved your CT to the other side of the meter....

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
brackwell

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2020, 04:27:09 PM »

Thoughts for today. Not an electrician.

I believe you can use the CT clamp on both + or _  .   3Ph only has one negative which must be a net value for the whole 3Ph so put the clamp on that ??

Is it technically possible to fit lightweight single cables along side the 3 positive cables to act as proxy and all 3 could be fed through clamp and end up giving a net value of the 3 Ph ??

Not like true electricians to be so quiet, perhaps they dont bother with us anymore, not geeky enough.
Countrypaul

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2020, 05:03:39 PM »

Thoughts for today. Not an electrician.

I believe you can use the CT clamp on both + or _  .   3Ph only has one negative which must be a net value for the whole 3Ph so put the clamp on that ??

Is it technically possible to fit lightweight single cables along side the 3 positive cables to act as proxy and all 3 could be fed through clamp and end up giving a net value of the 3 Ph ??

Not like true electricians to be so quiet, perhaps they dont bother with us anymore, not geeky enough.

Not an electrician either but:

If the 3 phases are 120 degrees from each other which I believe they are, then a 1 kW load on each will surely result in a 0kW load on the neutral (assuming PF =1).
Aunat

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »

I think ceisra was correct. The iBoost seems to be working as it should.

I'll report back tomorrow with a definitive answer - thanks for all your help and suggestions in the meantime.

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
brackwell

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2020, 06:44:35 AM »

If the 3 phases are 120 degrees from each other which I believe they are, then a 1 kW load on each will surely result in a 0kW load on the neutral (assuming PF =1).

Yes i can see that but what happens when the Ph become widely imbalanced and the net is export but not on the Ph that carries the I Boost, as the case in question?
Aunat

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »

Ok, so this morning I got up at 6:25am to blazing sunshine through the window. Having checked my batteries STOC on the app, 67%... technically there should be 0.00kW saved on the iBoost. To my total dissapointment there was 4.64kW saved since midnight.

However, I did put Oven 1 on and the iBoost doesn't now kick in, so I may turn the CT clamp around later today when I'm back home to see what results I get from that.

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Countrypaul

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2020, 12:56:51 PM »

Yes i can see that but what happens when the Ph become widely imbalanced and the net is export but not on the Ph that carries the I Boost, as the case in question?

From my understanding (as remember I'm not an electrician, and I know you aren't either so this may be the blind leading the blind) the neutral will only carry the current that is different across the 3 phases, so if one phase has 2kW and 2 phases have 1kW the neutral will have 1kW. The same would apply if exporting and the loads on different phases were different (and less than export on each phase). If the phases had loads of say 1, 3, and 4 kW, presumably the neutral would carry 5kW (or would it be 3, 4 or 6?  Huh arghh... definitely need some help on this one) and which way would it appear import or export?

I suppose one question that follows from this is what does a 3 phase inverter do? Does it put the same power out to each phase, or does it check the individual phase voltages and attept to balance them and therefore the whole 3 phase load? 3 separate single phase  inverters seems trivial if they have independant feeds.
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2020, 02:22:43 PM »

Just thinking out aloud as I'm not sparks either but what happens if a live and neutral are reversed somewhere in the installation so that a load is essentially seen on the shared neutral?

The issue has to be a wiring fault otherwise I'm sure this would have come up before.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP /Pylon US2000 19.2kW
myenergi eddi
Countrypaul

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »

Just thinking out aloud as I'm not sparks either but what happens if a live and neutral are reversed somewhere in the installation so that a load is essentially seen on the shared neutral?

The issue has to be a wiring fault otherwise I'm sure this would have come up before.

If you reverse the live an neutral will you get a load on the neutral or will it show as a load on the live anyway? If it was a simple resistance heater for example it would not matter which way round the L&N are it will still put a load on the live.

As for it being a wiring fault, could be, but we can't work out what - so I'm sure any ideas would be welcome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: