navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2's + Solar iBoost = Problem?  (Read 3332 times)
Aunat

« on: July 27, 2020, 11:45:00 AM »

Hi guys! Hope all is well....

I've been lurking for a while and posting very infrequently, but I figure that with the knowledge on here someone should be possibly able to help. I should first start off by saying that my solar installers have looked at this issue a few times and can't quite understand what's going on, so here goes.

My house is a new build with 3 phase installation. I have 55 x 365w LG (20.075kW total) panels and a 15kW SolarEdge 3-phase inverter. In addition to the panels I have 3 x Powerwall 2's and a backup gateway which is on the grey phase, which is phase 3.
Ok, so far so good. I also have a solar iBoost on phase 2, and the CT clamp is correctly connected to phase 2 within the meter cabinet on the outside of the house. The immersion is itself is connected to phase 2 as well.
However, when I put a load on to Phase 3, the iBoost comes on with approximately the correct amount of power. For example, one of my ovens is on phase 3 and when I turn it on, the iBoost kicks in to life sending 3kW to the immersion. If I put a 1kW load on phase 3, then the iBoost will send 1kW to the immersion. It literally mimmics whatever load I put on to phase 3. I also have an oven on phase 1, and it does not produce the same results.
I should also say that regardless of the level of charge of the batteries, the iBoost never comes to life unless there's a load on phase 3 - even if the batteries are 100% full, which can sometimes happen before 9am(!!), the iBoost won't kick in to life until some sort of load is put on to phase 3. - You can see the export to the grid in the Tesla app.
We have changed out the iBoost 3 times, upgraded the firmware, and we have also moved the CT clamp to phase 1 & 3 for testing purposes, but nothing happens which proves that the immersion is on phase 2.

Does anyone have any suggestions, because I've been banging my head against a brick wall with this issue now for nearly a year.  wackoold

Edit: I should also say that my meter imports between 1-2kWh a day (maybe this is something to do with the Powerwalls?) even though the batteries have been >50% continuously since early March.

TIA!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:46:55 AM by Aunat » Logged

20.075kW - 55 x 365W LG Neon R (East/South/West)
15kW SolarEdge 3 phase inverter
3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Solar iBoost+ /w firmware v8
Tesla X 100D
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »

It literally mimmics whatever load I put on to phase 3.
This says to me that you are putting the clamp on the wrong way round - it is seeing import as export. If you haven't already tried it, try putting the clamp on 180deg reversed - if it has an arrow on it, point it the other way.

North Hampshire
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »

This says to me that you are putting the clamp on the wrong way round - it is seeing import as export. If you haven't already tried it, try putting the clamp on 180deg reversed - if it has an arrow on it, point it the other way.

The clamp is somehow seeing the load on phase 3 as an export on phase 2, hence the conundrum and question. 

Would that happen if the CT was put on the neutral wire instead (as the neutral is shared)?  Maybe that's the issue.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP /Pylon US2000 19.2kW
myenergi eddi
Aunat

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »

Thanks. I've just checked and there's two arrows on the CT clamp. One pointing towards meter & one towards consumer unit.

The meter iself (where I take the readings from) I assume is the meter! The arrow was pointing towards it, but I've now swapped it around, turned the oven on and the iboost doesn't kick in to life, which is a good sign, however batteries are currently at 72% charge and it's raining so, hopefully later today I'll come back with results. The theory is that once they reach 100% it should 'export' to the immersion, right?

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Aunat

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 03:09:49 PM »

Oooooook. So far the Powerwalls are up to 87%, and I've just noticed that the iBoost is whirring away at full chat - 2.99kW! So I checked my consumption and the house is using 7.1kW. After a bit of investigation it turns out the hot tub had come on just to warm up for 20 minutes, but the hot tub is on phase 1.  Huh Huh Huh
Now I really am confused.

Attached is a photo of what my meter and iboost set up looks like.

* photo_2020-07-27_15-20-21.jpg (218.23 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 185 times.)

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Westie

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 03:16:59 PM »

The clamp is somehow seeing the load on phase 3 as an export on phase 2, hence the conundrum and question. 

Would that happen if the CT was put on the neutral wire instead (as the neutral is shared)?  Maybe that's the issue.

I wouldn't recommend monitoring the current in the neutral, it's an unbalanced 3 phase system so the neutral current will be the sum of the unbalanced loads.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Countrypaul

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »

You said you have an oven on phase 1, if you trn that on now does the iBoost also see that as exporting and send the same amount of power to your immersion?
Aunat

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 03:56:11 PM »

You said you have an oven on phase 1, if you trn that on now does the iBoost also see that as exporting and send the same amount of power to your immersion?

No.. it doesn't. The iboost doesn't do anything if I turn the oven on now ... Powerwalls currently @ 97% charge, and the iboost does not read 'HOT' meaning that the tank is full....

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Countrypaul

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 04:16:42 PM »

Just trying to work out what the results woud be if somehow pases 2 & 3 were the wrong way round in the CU end for example - but I'm having trouble getting my head round all the logic.

Could you move the CT clamp to phase 3 (keeping the direction as it is now) and see what happens?
Aunat

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 04:38:39 PM »

Just trying to work out what the results woud be if somehow pases 2 & 3 were the wrong way round in the CU end for example - but I'm having trouble getting my head round all the logic.

Could you move the CT clamp to phase 3 (keeping the direction as it is now) and see what happens?

I had considered this and the answer is yes, I'll move it to 3 in a moment.

Batteries are now at 100%

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Fintray

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 06:38:07 PM »

I don't understand your statement:

"I should also say that regardless of the level of charge of the batteries, the iBoost never comes to life unless there's a load on phase 3 - even if the batteries are 100% full, which can sometimes happen before 9am(!!), the iBoost won't kick in to life until some sort of load is put on to phase 3. - You can see the export to the grid in the Tesla app."

You mention putting a load on phase 3 yet then mention that you see the export on the Tesla app?

Do you mean a load on phase 3 from the mains or from the Powerwalls?

I would expect that on a sunny day phases 1 & 2 would be exporting so the iBoost should be diverting from whichever phase it is connected to into the immersion.

It might be worth getting a clamp meter and positively identifying each phase to ensure there is no unintentional crossover.

Can you also take a picture from a bit further back so the whole consumer unit and fuses etc. can be seen?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 06:42:41 PM by Fintray » Logged

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Aunat

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 07:17:24 PM »

Hi Fintray,

I'll try to explain what I mean..

Let's assume it's midday and the batteries are 100% STOC, and the array is producing 15kW;

Normally in this scenario the house would be using 0.8kW and exporting 14.2kW, even though the hot water tank is not hot. There's two ways to make the water hot - either put on the oven, or press the manual button several times to 120 minutes so it forces 3kW of power directly to it.

One would expect that any excess energy on phase 2 up to 3kW would be diverted to the solar iboost, but this just isn't the case.

Countrypaul;

I've moved it to Phase 3 and the same thing happens as previous. The hot tub is heating for a short period and the iboost has come on with 2.95kW of power even though the batteries are at 91% STOC.

* photo_2020-07-27_19-28-18.jpg (228.43 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 150 times.)

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Countrypaul

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 07:26:06 PM »

Just to be sure, the Hot tub is on Phase 1, the iBoost and immersion are on Phase 2 and the CT is one Phase 3. But when the Hot tub is turned on the iBoost starts diverting 2.95kW to the immersion?

Is the Hot tub a nominal 3kW?
Countrypaul

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 07:29:29 PM »

Looking at you photo there are 3 neutrals joined together, presumably one for each phase, but no neutral linked to the supply - a I right or have I missed something?
Aunat

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 07:32:47 PM »

Just for reference so I don't get confused either  ralph

* photo_2020-07-27_19-44-20.jpg (172.74 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 148 times.)

3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Tesla X 100D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: