navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2's + Solar iBoost = Problem?  (Read 1405 times)
TT

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2020, 05:05:39 PM »

His CPD are  remember
Countrypaul

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »

Did you get the phases checked out and if so what is the result?
Aunat

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2020, 06:42:17 PM »

No not yet. He didn't turn up... typical electricians...  Roll Eyes

20.075kW - 55 x 365W LG Neon R (East/South/West)
15kW SolarEdge 3 phase inverter
3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Solar iBoost+ /w firmware v8
Tesla X 100D
cg617

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2020, 05:21:18 PM »

I'm confused.
I like drawings, as they tend to graphically show what's going on and if there is an 'error' in the system usually shows it up.
A three phase system, I'm assuming this isn't the UK, don't recognise the equipment in the cabinet.

I would imagine that the solar and batteries are on the same phase, and there can't be any cross connect of power between phases as they are 120deg out of phase.  So this would result in anything on the two phases not having the solar/batteries not benefitting from any of the home grown generation or storage.

4kWp installation, installed in May 2013.
16 solar panels each with an Enphase edge invertor.
Averaging 4,450kWh / year.
Location South Essex
Countrypaul

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2020, 05:27:13 PM »

I'm confused.
I like drawings, as they tend to graphically show what's going on and if there is an 'error' in the system usually shows it up.
A three phase system, I'm assuming this isn't the UK, don't recognise the equipment in the cabinet.

I would imagine that the solar and batteries are on the same phase, and there can't be any cross connect of power between phases as they are 120deg out of phase.  So this would result in anything on the two phases not having the solar/batteries not benefitting from any of the home grown generation or storage.

If you read the thread he says that there is a powerwall on each phase, and a Solaredge 3 phase inverter.
Fintray

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2020, 05:30:02 PM »

I'm confused.

Label on the incomer says Western Power Distribution, so definitely in UK.
Western Power Distribution is the electricity distribution network operator for the Midlands, South Wales and the South West.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
cg617

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2020, 09:43:01 PM »

Countrypaul, my bad, forgot the 3-phase inverter bit and assumed the 3x powerwalls were on one phase.

From the photos and some comments I've drawn up this simplified diagram of the system, probably loads missing though.  But what immediately struck me was where the power flows are in relation to the position of the iBoost CT clamp.
As an aside, the picture from the app showing the power flows doesn't indicate which phase it's showing.  I'm hoping it's not showing the net results of all three phases combined, as this would n't help with troubleshooting.

Location South Essex
cg617

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2020, 09:46:49 PM »

With the diagram

Location South Essex
Countrypaul

« Reply #53 on: Today at 12:16:56 AM »

I think you have misinterpreted the solar iBoost - the Boost is connected to phase 2 and to the immersion heater, it also has a wireless CT oround the phase2 cable in the meter cabinet.
cg617

« Reply #54 on: Today at 06:54:27 AM »

Haha.  Right again, I was rushing, never a good thing.  I did have it on phase 2, but on the diagram had it connected between the inverters and the load.  Then realised it's actual location may be pertinent so drew the 'box' for the cabinet and moved the connection of the CT clamp...  to the wrong phase. 
The annoying thing is the software I used for drawing it is on a computer that doesn't allow loading pictures to this site, so I have to email it across computers...   Sad

Location South Essex
Aunat

« Reply #55 on: Today at 02:52:51 PM »

Yes I'm UK - Midlands.

I'm currently at this stage (after talking direct to the Solar iBoost manufacturer)...

The CT clamp is currently on the middle cable coming out of the L2 henley block, and when batteries reach 100% STOC then it does import correctly to the iBoost - there is a however - the iBoost is still 'saving' some energy (ranges from 2-4kwh) before the batteries reach 100% STOC, but at least it's not mimicking any loads on phase 1 anymore. I can't remember which way the clamp is, but it's definitely working 'better' than it was.

I think what I'm going to do is get the immersion moved to P3 and the clamp moved to P3. I've got a feeling it may be something to do with the backup gateway on P3 somehow.

20.075kW - 55 x 365W LG Neon R (East/South/West)
15kW SolarEdge 3 phase inverter
3 x Tesla Powerwall 2
Tesla Backup Gateway
Solar iBoost+ /w firmware v8
Tesla X 100D
Countrypaul

« Reply #56 on: Today at 04:49:59 PM »

Are the 3 powerwalls connected together at all? I am wondering if they behave as a true 3phase system or just 3 completely independant single phase systems. If they are completely independant then once the one on phase 2 is fully charged I would expect that whatever is exporting from the PV inverter is available to the iBoost (and consequently the immersion), if the powerwall is 3 phase could it be attempting to balance things and therefore causing phase2 to show less PV export than we expect?

Similarly does teh 3 phase inverter export the same power on all phases, or does it try and balance the voltage (and current?) between phases so they all appear the same?

Completely out of my sphere of expertise, I can see the questions, but have no idea of the answers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: