navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D.E. plane ban: forced back to plastic in air travel .. any work-arounds?  (Read 714 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: July 29, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »

Have been D.E shaving for some years now (after tearing my face apart since I was a yoof with the crud that is the Mach 3 ...a pack of four used to last me a good year or two ..not because of bumfluff, but because of determination).

Came to a head when DE blades & razors became easier to find (thankyou internet) ..& plastic fatigue my mach 3 razor units dies from age which was a relief as I spent more time in winter removing hair from the naff blades with a cocktail stick than actually shaving.

Since then have always travelled with my DE, soap & brush & been happy with it.

Problem is that I am due to fly to Germany tomorrow with hand luggage only, ..obviously A DE is on the "no-fly" prohibited list, ..so have ended up with a pound shop type mach3 clone for travelling ...you cannot imagine the withering stare I gave the damned thing as a step back into waste plastic landfill potential i've been trying to avoid..

Any of you good folk know of a friendlier version with a universal type fitting for travelling that is acceptable (metal or bamboo type construction) for future travel
"requirements"?

I'd rather not shave at all in these situations unless it is a minimalist DE blade going back to recycling (slowly) , but circumstances oft necessitate it.

Yes, it may seem trivial compared to the travel itself, but you've got to work from all angles.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
smegal

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 04:55:54 PM »

Have been D.E shaving for some years now (after tearing my face apart since I was a yoof with the crud that is the Mach 3 ...a pack of four used to last me a good year or two ..not because of bumfluff, but because of determination).

Came to a head when DE blades & razors became easier to find (thankyou internet) ..& plastic fatigue my mach 3 razor units dies from age which was a relief as I spent more time in winter removing hair from the naff blades with a cocktail stick than actually shaving.

Since then have always travelled with my DE, soap & brush & been happy with it.

Problem is that I am due to fly to Germany tomorrow with hand luggage only, ..obviously A DE is on the "no-fly" prohibited list, ..so have ended up with a pound shop type mach3 clone for travelling ...you cannot imagine the withering stare I gave the damned thing as a step back into waste plastic landfill potential i've been trying to avoid..

Any of you good folk know of a friendlier version with a universal type fitting for travelling that is acceptable (metal or bamboo type construction) for future travel
"requirements"?

I'd rather not shave at all in these situations unless it is a minimalist DE blade going back to recycling (slowly) , but circumstances oft necessitate it.

Yes, it may seem trivial compared to the travel itself, but you've got to work from all angles.

What about a cheap DE handle (maybe even plastic) and then buy blades in a local chemist. I'd be surprised if DE blades aren't in chemists the world over. I'd just not risk a nice handle in case airport security got too excitable.

Places like Boots used to sell these (the current boots website doesn't unfortunately)

https://www.thegiftandgadgetstore.com/product/wilkinson-sword-classic-shaver-double-edge-razor-5-blades/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-Q4GTIHihy0Xr_amHOyzsuIq7IALGEfp8g-6V5rkR2OPfK-xmMyBe8aAslGEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:00:13 PM by smegal » Logged

When you’re thirsty, it’s too late to dig a well. - Unknown
TT

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 05:51:37 PM »

So what’s DE?
Fintray

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »

So what’s DE?

As in sword.  fight

It got me as well till I saw blades.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
MR GUS

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »

Ha ha, clearly i'm not the youngest here anymore!  fingers crossed!

Smegal, that was my initial thought until I remembered why I favoured one brand of blades over another & why I have some 14 blade varieties "sitting" unused because they are not right for my face nor my skin. .likely you'd slash yourself badly using something else, fatal in cold weather, merely gruesome in summer!

I was lucky enough to find Astra (green box) pretty early on, but by that time had accumulated 100 BLUE astra ..the difference is chalk & cheese in the same razor.

Anyone wishing to try a DE & reduce their plastic waste (& save money) the Merkur s & the Jaggers at the low end (one currently about £15 on the big river).

It is a learning (cutting) curve & an alum stick may be your friend for a while, however I take no longer to shave than when I did in the old days with superior results & a closer shave, Arko soap for "cheap" but my main travel soap is a palmolive stick remnant whilst I use Proraso at home when it is on a deal  ..v. good & frugal in requirements for a good shave.

The other option is to post a blade to your hotel but I've only just thought of that (too late).

The plastic one is allowed on a plane, as is a metal one but not the blade, so you may as well take your favourite pre-existing razor regardless ...the blades is where you really become a cropper.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:08:02 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pat_

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:22:28 PM »

Assuming we're talking about the same thing (I have always called them safety razors). I have always been buying mine on holiday in Germany. In the supermarket called Edeka. I've never failed to find them there.
MR GUS

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 09:11:58 PM »

Assuming we're talking about the same thing (I have always called them safety razors). I have always been buying mine on holiday in Germany. In the supermarket called Edeka. I've never failed to find them there.

Which brands blades have you commonly found there? ..cheers

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
kdmnx

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 05:33:08 AM »

I switched to a “shavette” years ago. Saves money, saves plastic, gives a nice shave, feels badass.

When traveling I put it in the hold and have never had a problem. If traveling handbaggage only I skip shaving for a few days.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
MR GUS

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 08:39:50 AM »

I switched to a “shavette” years ago. Saves money, saves plastic, gives a nice shave, feels badass.

When traveling I put it in the hold and have never had a problem. If traveling handbaggage only I skip shaving for a few days.

That's the thing, you are nigh on forced to revert to plastic (AND getting a really bad shave) at risk of slashing your face to hell with an unfamiliar DE (of which you then have to buy a pack of 5 typically when away ...having sourced it, ..too much money in the triple blade muck-cartridges for the companies to care.

Shame there isn't a barber network for razor blades, i'd pay a euro for a single decent blade if I could just access it by a walk through town in the big cities ..I don't want a turkish shave, just a blade.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pile-o-stone

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 09:00:04 AM »

I didn't realise that safety razors were banned on flights. I had to check online just now to make sure. I've been travelling with my safety razor for years now and I only had one comment from a customs guy in Amsterdam airport who saw it in its travel case and asked what it was. He looked impressed when I opened it up (it's a really attractive white porcelain and stainless steel affair) and said 'Woah, old school" with a laugh.

Looks like I'll have to buy an electric travel one for when I next fly.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:08:07 AM by Pile-o-stone » Logged

5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
Mini Orchard and Allotment in progress
MR GUS

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 09:10:28 AM »

You give me hope, but i'm also very honest, so simply carrying one for my benefit is out of the question.
I can't feign ignorance of the rules & have already been "stiffed" with a criminal record for something I didn't do, so knowing my luck, hard questioning & delay.
That & I don't react well to often rude heavy handed officialdom, if they put their necks out I tend to come back at them, never good at an airport.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pat_

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 10:35:52 AM »

Just Wilkinson at Edeka...
MR GUS

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »

Thanks, tempted to give it a go. ..alum stick at the ready.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 05:02:15 PM »

When I went away on business I stuck my baggage in the hold so no problem.
Safety razor blades can be purchased in Sainsburys under their own brand. Made in Vietnam. Used to use the Boots label own brand. Pack of ten lasted for years, mind you, I did dress the blade up on a very fine Arkansas oilstone, seemed to worked ok, if a tad scratchier than a brand new one. Never tried wiping it against a piece of leather like you are supposed to do with a cut throat razor.

Every brand of blade is subtley different in its dimensions and blade edge detail. Every safety razor is different along with peoples stubly chins, so what works well for someone is not good to someone else.

What is a Turkish shave? Is that like a modern day Sweeney Tod barbers / pie shop German Style. Instead of pies they make bierwurst.
MR GUS

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 05:26:22 PM »

What is a Turkish shave? Is that like a modern day Sweeney Tod barbers / pie shop German Style. Instead of pies they make bierwurst.

It is £30 to stick your luggage in the hold (B.A) ..I have it for the return journey as i'm hopefully bringing some Ovomaltine crunchy spread back.

The Turkish shave? ..well they are back & setting up all over it seems, ..as per this video 26 minutes of uncomfortable & unnecessary faff for lots of money, shave, ear candles, lighter, hot towel & moisturiser
https ://youtu.be/2kXdX6vUerk

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: