navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pylontech US2000+ Lux inverter With micro inverters???  (Read 1096 times)
unclebob1

« on: August 07, 2020, 09:19:17 AM »

Hi all

First post, i've been reading up on the combination of Pylontech US2000 with the LUX inverters, and have approached Jake at Infinity Innovations. I've been given a guide price of £5400 + vat for two inverters and 4 batteries + installation. At present I do NOT have any solar panels, but Jake has advised that I can use a slightly different inverter without solar input and make use of the Agile tariff from Octopus, as he does not believe the roof space i have will be able to hold many panels (though another company i enquired with previously said i could prob get 8 or so panels on one side, plus 3-4 on the other).

The house roof has two main sides pointing towards the sun - in the morning i have a small hip which gets sun from sunrise to approx 9am - facing north east. Then the back of the house gets sun from approx 9am though to sun down, but  is facing north west. So i expect light to hit the panels more or less all day, but in two strings. I also have an outhouse which has no proper roof at present. Once rebuilt, i'm thinking of putting solar panels on that too, but they will get some tree shade on and off throughout the day at different parts. It is also some 20m from the main consumer unit/henley block/where the LUX would go.

I'm still waiting on technical details of the other inverter, but in the meantime i wanted to ask the following.

1) If there is little price difference is it worth going for the inverter that can take solar over one that can not?

2) If i got panels on the outhouse and used micro inverters, would the LUX see that as export and try and charge the battery with it or would it let it go out to the grid without a second thought?

3) I have an induction cooker rated at 7.4kWh, so a single LUX wouldn't cut it if that is in full use. What are users thoughts on two of them running parallel? Unfortunately the main cooking is done between 4pm and 7pm so going on the Agile tariff and then importing a fair number of units in that window would be counterproductive. I'm hoping two units would cover the use to allow the battery storage to cover this window.

4) Any ideas on the price I've been given? I see on some threads here that I should be able to negotiate a bit off that, but wonder if the non Solar inverter costs a bit more etc or Covid-19 has pushed up prices?

5) Lastly, my smets2 meter is due to be installed on the 18th of Aug, but I'm with The Peoples Energy at present, who do NOT have a way for me to get my half hourly usage stats via an API. Can i get them from anywhere else or will i have to go through my bill and copy them out into Excel? I want to see what my usage is at present esp in that 4pm to 7pm window before I commit to the battery system and octopus.
TheMaster

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 07:49:37 AM »

1) I Can't advise on that however I do have separate SolarEdge invertors and Lux invertors for batteries,  I would go with power optimisers or the panels if you go that route with solar.
2) If the LUX sees export it will take the power and pull the power into the batteries, by drawing a load, at least that how it got explained to me, working on least resistance, I am sure someone can explain that better than me! Smiley
3) I have a new induction Cooker as I removed my gas, firstly the batteries don't like induction In my experience. If you ever stand next to the hob you will hear it constantly clicking in and out to maintain heat, Lux + batteries don't like fast changes to load, so it will pull from the grid for a few seconds, then export for a few seconds. the ovens are fine though. I was also going to get 2 LUX invertors in parallel as I will have an 8-9 kWh load at times with my ASHP. However decided to run thought this winter and see how it goes with heating the mainly during the day then when the oven is on turn the heating off so the load is lower, and see how much I pull from the grid, it's a bit of an experiment. then make a more informed decision next year after a year's knowledge.
4) No cannot comment
5) Don't you have an indoor reader? for those 2 weeks just record it manually, however you may be missing some peak winter usage, as that may well depend on your loads when you come home in winter if anything heating wise is electric?

Roof mount 9 x QCells Q.PEAK DUO panels 340w (3.06kW) South/South West
Solaredge Inv 3kW
Ground mount 18 x Canadian Solar 365w panels (6.5kW) South
Solaredge Inv 6kW
27 Power optimisers
Total solar 9.56kW
LuxPower inv
6 x PylonTech 2.4kWh batteries Total 14.4kWh (12.96kWh usable)
Ecodan ASHP
kdmnx

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 05:28:16 PM »

Iím gonna agree with pretty much everything ďthe masterĒ said.

1) You might as well go for the inverter that can work with solar panels. Even if youíre not installing panels now youíll have done the installation ready for the panels when/if you chose to install them. I donít think you need 2x inverters though. Each inverter needs a minimum of 3x batteries to charge/discharge the batteries at its max power anyway so there is no point running 2x inverters at 60% when you could be running one at 100%.

2) You can attach 2x strings of solar panels pointing in different directions to a Lux inverter. Or you can have all the panels on a single string and have ďoptimisersĒ eg Tigo. Which is best depends on your roof and potential shading issues. You can also have panels connected up to another inverter independent of the Lux. All the Lux does is check the power going in/out of your house. If it detects power going out it tells the batteries to charge if it detects power coming in it tells the batteries to charge. It tries to keep import/export at zero.

3) I too have an induction hob (mine is 11kW but when do you have all rings running at full power at the same time?). When you turn something powerful on it takes a few seconds for the LUX to react and it ramps up rather than switching to full power immediately, so youíre using grid power while that happens. Then when you turn it off the same thing happens so you have a bit of battery power going to the grid. Induction hobs switch on and off quicker than the Lux can react. If Iím not using the induction hob the grid power use stays at zero with the odd spike in either direction. If the hob is on then Iím constantly importing or exporting a small amount of power. Iíve learned not to worry about it. If the hob is drawing a few kW, then a few W in either direction is inconsequential. The reason electricity prices on Agile are at their highest between 4-7pm is that is when people use the most electricity! Agile is only sutible if you don't get home form work until after 7pm or otherwise have a lifestyle where the house is empty during the peak. Look at Octopus Go as a better option if you use electricity to cook in the 4-7 time period. It is more convenient because you can set-and-forget all your timers.

4) There are a bunch of companies selling Lux inverters. However they are all the same company really. I've heard of people negotiating good deals. You can only call up and ask!

5) I have no idea!

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
unclebob1

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »

Thanks both for your comments.

I am still tempted to go with the solar ready Lux inverter, as you are both suggesting.

with regards to the min 3x batteries, is this just based on experience?

My induction is where my main concern is, as kdmnx as said, its unlikely that all 4 areas will be running at the same time, but i want to know how much the general 2/3 burners i cook with are using, and if that's within the limits of a single inverter or not. Id rather have two working 40-50% then 1 running 100% or worse not being able to handle it.

My usage for washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer etc can be moved around happily, but its cooking that is the concern, esp if it will be at peak times. Overall usage will be about 13kWh a day but need to figure out how much of that will be 4-7 before deciding on Agile/Go or even to go down the battery route.

Thanks for your input!
kdmnx

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 01:39:05 PM »

The Pylontech batteries form a "stack" and the top one reports to the inverter the max charge/discharge rate. This tops out at 25A (or 1200W) per battery in the stack.

In July I averaged 21.6kW of consumption per day. The occasions when I'm drawing more power than a single Lux can provide are very rare indeed and tend to be short-lived when they do occur.

Here is an example of a sunny day:

Although there were occasional spikes to and from the grid at no point was my single Lux overwhelmed. This is despite an 11kW induction hob, 2x 3.5kW ovens, and an EV charger!

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
unclebob1

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 02:12:15 PM »

Thanks for the input there KDMNX.

Given im using approx 13kWh over the day (average over a month), I dont think i will peak over 3 kWh for the LUX either, but im speculating that the bulk of my use will be cooker, but i wont know until i get to see my half hourly breakdown i guess!

If the cooker is under 3kWh for the bulk of the time, then one will be sufficient with grid top up as needed
TheMaster

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 08:08:54 PM »

I am around the same usage as KDMNX in July 21.31. You seem quite a low power user compared to my usage. I am using an ASHP, there are 4 of us here, so mainly 3-4 showers a day. The ASHP uses about 3 to 3.3 kWh for about 15-30 mins to reheat the water after each shower. Just something to bear in mind timing-wise. Not a problem in Summer as export about 60% some days.

The 3 batteries ties in nicely with the lux input/output thresholds lux input/output is around 3.6 kWh and 3 batteries are around the same. I got 6 for 2 reasons, firstly I was going to get parallel systems for more max output, but it's on hold, for now, to see how it works over winter with 1. Secondly, I wanted more storage based on my high usage, so I could pull from the grid and cheap rates.

Roof mount 9 x QCells Q.PEAK DUO panels 340w (3.06kW) South/South West
Solaredge Inv 3kW
Ground mount 18 x Canadian Solar 365w panels (6.5kW) South
Solaredge Inv 6kW
27 Power optimisers
Total solar 9.56kW
LuxPower inv
6 x PylonTech 2.4kWh batteries Total 14.4kWh (12.96kWh usable)
Ecodan ASHP
unclebob1

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 08:46:34 AM »

Meters fitted yesterday, so now i need to figure out how to get my half hourly readings.

The peoples energy (who I'm with at the moment) dont have an API for me to get my readings... which is a bummer, as their website also does not give historical readings...
I dont fancy having to go through my bill each month and manually typing out the numbers, but lets see what the first bill comes back with i guess!

Unless anyone knows of another way to get my readings?
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:27:26 AM »

Move to Octopus!

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x ō58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP /Pylon US2000 19.2kW
myenergi eddi
nowty

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 11:09:22 AM »

Move to Octopus!

Yes, with Octopus you can see website info like this, you can use my signup link to get us both £50 credit if you like. https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-wind-829

12kW+ of PV installed and 65+ MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 45+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
6kW Ground source heatpump.
310,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
unclebob1

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »

Thats my aim evenutally - in the meantime i just want to check what my usage is - so i can decide on the tariff i move to, and more importantly see if i need to consider 1 or 2 inverters!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 11:35:08 AM by unclebob1 » Logged
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 11:40:48 AM »

Thats my aim evenutally - in the meantime i just want to check what my usage is - so i can decide on the tariff i move to, and more importantly see if i need to consider 1 or 2 inverters!

Octopus have an API which you can read the values from as well as the nice graphs shown above.

You could use an emonpi from openenergy.org to monitor your usage; I'm now monitoring more things than I thought was possible.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x ō58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP /Pylon US2000 19.2kW
myenergi eddi
unclebob1

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 01:29:19 PM »

Ok i got access via n3rgy! not an api, its an excel spreadsheet but better then no access!

Time to monitor!
unclebob1

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 03:44:26 PM »

Has anyone managed to get data extracts from n3rgy into their own database? I'm having problems with cookie authentication...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: