navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Luxury car tax, what is it & how do you see it evolving?  (Read 1314 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: September 13, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »

320 annual luxury car supplement (tesla site)

I anticipate you "luxury car owner teslarati folk" are the ones to ask really.

What defines a luxury car apart from the 40,000 start point? ..riding in an old smart for two many things with gizmo's (or air con) can feel like luxury to me? ..so who set the parameters & where is the line in the sand? ..is it paid yearly throughout the life of the car? or is it deemed luxury only whilst at the top of its game?

Is this a way of clawing back something where VED via emissions once held sway? ...if not that sends numerous EV's towards those dizzying point & that after 3 years ownership you've paid nigh on 1000 for the privilege whilst other cars catch up tech wise (& price wise)...will it be re-examined based on age or continue to be charged this as others outpace it in term of "gizmo luxury" that become standard in many mainstream marques?

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »

It misses the point if you ask me, energy use is what the environment cares about so tax the energy used and use the revenue raised to subsidise  those in genuine hardship and to promote energy efficient transport. It would also be a small step to wealth redistribution which would be a good thing.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
marshman

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 02:25:27 PM »

It misses the point if you ask me, energy use is what the environment cares about so tax the energy used and use the revenue raised to subsidise  those in genuine hardship and to promote energy efficient transport. It would also be a small step to wealth redistribution which would be a good thing.

Desp

I agree, and it would have been easy to do before EV's came along, scrap VED and stick it on the cost of the fuel. Trouble is with EV's how can you tax the electricity used to charge them?  If it is from someones PV and not the grid should it be taxed at all?  You could introduce tolls on all roads and charge per mile and band the charge based on vehicle weight for all vehicles, not perfect and penalises us that live out in the sticks with no public transport but no system of taxation is ever perfect. Whatever happens it needs to be sorted, the government/country cannot afford to lose both fuel duty and VED when everyone goes electric!

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
brackwell

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 03:48:48 PM »

I guess it will be road toll charging. Every car these days is fitted with a GPS tracker which is something big brother has not told people about.
MR GUS

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 03:59:16 PM »

What is the 40,000 car tax rule?
After the first year, owners of cars that cost more than 40,000 have to pay an additional annual supplement of 325 for five years adding up to 1,625 in total.

This 40,000 rule initially applied to all cars, including zero-emission cars that otherwise paid no car tax. So if you bought a brand new Tesla Model X (an electric car that costs from 75,000), for instance, you used to have to pay this supplement during the second to sixth year of ownership.

However, it was announced in the 2020 Budget that zero emission cars bought before 31 March 2025 would no longer have to pay that supplementary rate.

Unusually, this exemption from the supplement also applies to existing owners.

Tax rates for cars that cost more than 40,000
Cars costing more than 40,000: what you'll pay during years 2-6
Fuel type   Standard annual rate   Additional rate   Total annual payment
Petrol/diesel   150   325   475
Alternative   140   325   465

& a linky for government site  https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:01:46 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
rogeriko

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 10:25:15 PM »

I guess it will be road toll charging. Every car these days is fitted with a GPS tracker which is something big brother has not told people about.

Big Brother also forget to tell everyone that Google and Apple know exactly, give or take 1 metre, where every single phone is on this planet and also who owns it. You cannot turn off the GPS on your phone only your ability to recall the information, Google can still record your position, speed etc.

titan

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 08:42:55 AM »

Big Brother also forget to tell everyone that Google and Apple know exactly, give or take 1 metre, where every single phone is on this planet and also who owns it. You cannot turn off the GPS on your phone only your ability to recall the information, Google can still record your position, speed etc.
sorry but this is just FUD
kdmnx

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »

Vehicle Excise Duty is a mess. Too many systems running concurrently makes it ridiculously complex. I've said for many years that it could be scrapped and the revenue replaced by an extra penny or two on fuel. Think about how much it must coat to administer and enforce the tax.

The "luxury car premium" was invented by Osborne when he was desperately short of cash and had an election around the corner. Those rich Tesla owners where an easy target. 

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
JohnS

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 12:08:12 PM »

sorry but this is just FUD

I beg to differ.
At the beginning of August, my daughter had downloaded a video using my phone ( I thought it was using wifi) and went over my monthly allowance.  Google still managed to provide a timeline showing where I went in August, even though I had turned mobile data off until the next charging period started.  Not everything on it but enough to know that some monitoring is going on.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
brackwell

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »

My E Golf slows down by itself when approaching speed limits and roundabouts,  I suppose thats just magic -not.   The car always knows where it is.

This tech is in watches and mobiles -tracks you when you go for a run, gives precise route,distance, time.  Ships,aeroplanes you name it all being tracked so a computer can easily work out car road miles travelled and charge accordingly.
MR GUS

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »

OFF TOPIC...
Yup, data has its uses, you are a commodity & exposed to more than you would like if you bothered to chase down the abusers of your details.

Bupa as I'm sure i've said before are catastrophically useless with your details which I have personal experience of, a multi billion (ish) healthcare company supposedly tp of their game & in  the majority of hospitals et al & therefore excellent at compliance (NOT).

Also Serco & the likes...

Your sign up to your kids school for emails will share so much data with a minimum of 75 companies, likely you'll count to around 300 in the initial batch though!

Therefore it is not unreasonable to be sceptical of gprs & phones, (esp pre-loaded) & seemingly impossible to empty of, turn it off & it'll try to get by in a later round of updates & scare you by saying vaguely that certain programs / apps / services will be locked out unless you allow it to run what the hell it pleases.

Data in cars, ouch, yes, modern tech that you don't necessarily get a breakdown of (a fug of data) dashcams with gprs, etc etc etc.

All you ever get is an update of terms of service, no proper explanation other than streamlining of service & bug fixes ..can be very trumpian  in presentation, and hell therefore to get your head around.

Amazon has now broken into xbox gaming via "switch" now amazon gaming ...more data for free digital playground stuff.

Fitbits all the rage ..USAF dark(ish) overseas bases show running routes, basic shapes of bases / perimiters.

I power my phone down as much as possible & try to remove kit (it meant an older phone that had ok software for that till recently), now the sony's are as bad as the next brand.

I kind of understand it if your car is more PC than driver, but even then I'd prefer some privacy.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:10:05 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
titan

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 09:47:07 AM »

[/quote] sorry but this is just FUD  [/quote]

I beg to differ.
At the beginning of August, my daughter had downloaded a video using my phone ( I thought it was using wifi) and went over my monthly allowance.  Google still managed to provide a timeline showing where I went in August, even though I had turned mobile data off until the next charging period started.  Not everything on it but enough to know that some monitoring is going on.
[/quote]

my reply was in response to the original post. However your reply is different, if you have an account of course phone activity is logged it forms part of your contract. Even with location off it will log your position from whatever cell you are connected to and every IP address you connect to over wifi, this is completely different to the original post.
azps

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 10:23:21 AM »

It misses the point if you ask me, energy use is what the environment cares about

What we should care about, in terms of environmental damage, is pollution. So, fuel duty is in theory the only mechanism we'd need, if consumers are, in total, rational.

The problem is, we're not. Many consumers do not pick a car based on whole-life cost using a discount factor that's consistent with their other decisions. So vehicle purchase taxes and subsidies are also useful.

MR GUS

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »

So, *maybe* ved price should also be factored into where you live (registered address) to reflect pollution within the immediate population for a start?
IE if you want that big polluting car based on size, weight, marque, performance & pollution hazard within a more densely populated area you could in theory pay more VED
compared with country (not perfect by a long shot I know).

I had to admire Peter Stringfellow for his Smart for two as his easy to park runaround, ..just not his hair, nor his 80's rag top escapades.
(& would like to know what he's moved onto now as a newer model, CAR ...get your minds out of the gutter  whistlie

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
JohnS

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 10:38:05 PM »

So, *maybe* ved price should also be factored into where you live (registered address) to reflect pollution within the immediate population for a start?
IE if you want that big polluting car based on size, weight, marque, performance & pollution hazard within a more densely populated area you could in theory pay more VED
compared with country (not perfect by a long shot I know).

Perhaps logical in theory but would not work in practice. 

Too many PCP cars owned by a leasing company in one location and driven by a lessee in another location. 

Bureaucratic nightmare.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: