navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PHEV - A wolf in sheep's clothing?  (Read 785 times)
Countrypaul

« on: September 16, 2020, 12:19:00 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54170207

Can't say I'm surprised, rather than PHEV would be better to consider them battery assisted ICE.
marshman

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »

Can't say I'm surprised, rather than PHEV would be better to consider them battery assisted ICE.

and next week someone will realise that the "self charging" hybrids are not that great either - to me Toyota's "self charging hybrid" is one of the most misleading, irritating, if not offensive, ads on TV (Note I don't watch much TV so not seen many ads at all, but somehow I manage to catch the Toyota one quite a lot).

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
JohnS

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 02:14:13 PM »

Perhaps it is time that the WLTP is changed so that the official mpg or l/km is determined over 62.5 miles or 100km.
That will give a more realistic average for PHEVs.

And maybe include an mpg or l/km with no battery assist.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 03:04:32 PM »

Yeah it's clear the testing regimen doesn't show the real world driving of PHEVs.  But then I think they probably never will.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
M

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 03:28:36 PM »

and next week someone will realise that the "self charging" hybrids are not that great either - to me Toyota's "self charging hybrid" is one of the most misleading, irritating, if not offensive, ads on TV (Note I don't watch much TV so not seen many ads at all, but somehow I manage to catch the Toyota one quite a lot).

I'm with you, it's a disgusting claim, but I suppose 'self charging off the petrol you put in, at a very poor efficiency' is a bit of a mouth full. I hope that nobody falls for it, but I suppose many people will look at BEV's (and PHEV's) that are plugged in, and think 'why didn't they go for one of those clever self charging cars instead?'
If Toyota's claim is acceptable, then the SEC will have a hard time criticising Nikola for showing their HFC semi rolling down a hill with their defence that they only said it was in motion, they never said it was self powered ........ nor I suppose self charging!

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
oliver90owner

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 04:20:40 PM »

I have read, or been told, that many PHEVs have never been plugged in since delivery - they were purchased simply as the cheapest fleet vehicle tax-wise.🙂
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »

I have been told this first hand by sales director I know  The last round of their sales reps' ompany cars were PHEVs because as you say tax incentives, but also they were trying to reduce fuel costs and be a bit more green.   They then ran the numbers and discovered the PHEVs were less efficient than the diesels they had before, significantly below the claimed MPGs and indeed the cost of the petrol claims were higher.  The only explanation was that they were never plugged in.   They're now moving back to petrol, and with electric as an option.  No diesel at all.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
knighty

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 10:20:24 AM »

I have been told this first hand by sales director I know  The last round of their sales reps' ompany cars were PHEVs because as you say tax incentives, but also they were trying to reduce fuel costs and be a bit more green.   They then ran the numbers and discovered the PHEVs were less efficient than the diesels they had before, significantly below the claimed MPGs and indeed the cost of the petrol claims were higher.  The only explanation was that they were never plugged in.   They're now moving back to petrol, and with electric as an option.  No diesel at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people using them as company cars never plugged them in at home because they don;t want to pay for the electric to charge them?

I know a few people who think like that....
dickster

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 10:29:50 AM »

Toyota have, with their recent "self charging hybrid" advertisements, very cleverly destroyed their brand image which they've spent billions of advertising dollars squeezing into my head over the years. What idiots they are. I wish them all the worst, perhaps even a partnership with Nikola....., Oh. hang on.....GM pipped them to the post. Smiley 
dimengineer

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 03:34:42 PM »

Oh god, yes. They are wrong, wrong, wrong. Totally deliberately misleading. I do keep meaning to write to the ASA, as I feel that they are actually lying.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
dimengineer

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 03:37:47 PM »

I do know someone who uses his PHEV as it is supposed to be used. Charges it every night. Most of his runs are short ones - so 60 - 80% of his mileage is on Battery electric. Thinks it is fantastic. He is a techie though, and wouldn't do otherwise.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 04:16:38 PM »

Was interesting to spot a Volvo XC90 T8 PHEV plugged in at my local Sainsbury’s Pod-Point this morning- so that’s at least one doing it right.  I occasionally see a BMW 5 series with a plug there too. 

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
AndrewE

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »

Do they pay for their fuel, or is it "free" (i.e added to your [our]  shopping bill?)
A
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:50:11 PM by AndrewE » Logged
kdmnx

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 07:27:25 PM »

Do they pay for their fuel, or is it "free" (i.e added to your shopping bill?)
A

Tesco is “free” (7kW subsidised by VW), Morrisons you have to pay but they provide 22kW chargers. I don’t know about Asda and Sainsbury’s because the stores near me don’t have chargers.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
dimengineer

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 03:44:37 PM »

Do they pay for their fuel, or is it "free" (i.e added to your shopping bill?)
A

Tesco is “free” (7kW subsidised by VW), Morrisons you have to pay but they provide 22kW chargers. I don’t know about Asda and Sainsbury’s because the stores near me don’t have chargers.

I'd have thought a 7kW charger in a supermarket car park would be an almost total waste fo time? 1 hour shopping - 7kWh = 21 miles range.It really does not seem to be terribly useful. Now 22KW, that's getting useful.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: