navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Remote Automation  (Read 726 times)
richy

« on: October 02, 2020, 12:41:04 PM »

Seeing some clever stuff in this category but when it comes to programming etc, I think thats all above my skill set.

Further to my post elsewhere on here about turning off water and draining the system remotely at my remote Scottish holiday cottage, I've realised the usefulness and green benefits of applying this technology to spare me sleepless nights and unnecessary worry.

Right now in a half baked experiment I've left a cctv camera and thermometer looking at each other and have the relay that allows power to the electric heaters plugged into a smart socket,  my aim being to live the heating off until the weather reports report cold weather at which I can switch on the heating and look at the effect on the inside temp.    Its a temporary solution whilst I decide on the best way forward...   Well the best platform for an integrated system, or maybe a non platform based system in the event of the internet/power going down..

Here in the Yorkshire Dales I've misused a Nest Stat and heat link to control CH output from the thermal store via room temp and borrowed the DHW function to control the boiler which is one source of heat to the store.    I like the App and the simple interface, maybe I could use that to set the electric heating and dhw in Scotland despite Nest saying it isn't suitable...I could use the nest room stat to power up the relay that switches power to the heaters with a clunk and figure out some wiring to the heater in the water tank...

Messy though, what other interfaces are there that I can use with smart switches and sockets and link to a room stat?   If I can link my intended water stop tap and drain plan to the app and run a sort of command centre on my PC that would be good! 

Need to:
Turn off power to a normally open valve - To drain System
Power up a normally closed valve - To use as stop tap
Power up normally closed valve to vent pipework to assist drain down
Power up normally open valve to drain DHW tank
Turn power to DHW tank on and off
Turn on and off power to a 13A plug which powers a relay which acts as a switch to 4 wall heaters with a programable(over the internet)  thermostat control.
Interface to smoke and CO2 alarms.
Be able to see temperature indoors online.

Alan D

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 01:54:13 PM »

One way. " https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208280 "

Alan D

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 04:16:48 PM »

Before the internet started back in the Eighties I did a remote system using Z80 / 6502 machine code. Programming erasable programmable read only memory chips, days would go by just getting one C.P.U. Chip pin to turn on. Then getting the C.P.U. Out put pin to switch a relay on also took some doing. Then using amateur radio to send data 100 miles was another challenge.
Now asking Alexa to do it is the way forward.
Basic Pic \ Arduino code for developing programs is out there now if you want to develop a one off system. But will still be a very time consuming challenge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: