navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pylon US2000+ / Sofar ME3000SP - Quiescent Discharge?  (Read 441 times)
seajays

« on: October 15, 2020, 10:57:37 PM »

I've got the Sofar ME3000SP and 2 x Pylon US2000 Plus batteries.

For winter I've set my state of discharge to stop at 40% to protect the batteries, however I've noticed that the batteries seem to still lose about 5% charge a day, if there is no PV to recharge them. The Sofar definitely goes into "standby" mode, but the batteries stay lit in "discharge" mode.

Does this seem normal?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:19:34 AM by seajays » Logged
book_woorm

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »

Where you aware that the ME3000SP uses the battery to keep its self alive not the mains. However loseing 5% a day seams rather a lot!

2.4 Kw Kyocera Panels (west facing) Feronius inverter; Sonenkraft Solar Thermal with Twin 180Lt & 280 Lt Thermal Stores; SAP 'A' rated property with UFH & wood burner. Full weather compensation on the UFH buffer temperature & differential controller decides where the heat from the wood burner goes.
oliver90owner

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:58:12 AM »

You should worry - I have a cheap chinese 2kW inverter which gobbles up 40W at idle!  Luckily, turning it off, between usage, avoids the losses 🙂.
kdmnx

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 11:11:43 AM »

Seems normal to me. Your ME3000SP uses the batteries to power itself. 5% per day works out as 10W 24/7/365.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 12:42:15 PM »

On my ME3000SP, in the winter, I set a Time Of Use top up for 10 minutes each day to cover this quiescent loss, and keep the battery above minimum.

See this thread:
https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31906.0.html

North Hampshire
pantsmachine

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 04:36:50 PM »

My system runs at about 0.86 kWh battery draw from about 22.00 to 06.00. That's the trimmed back background load of the whole house. The controller does actively export a little of this, nothing I can do about it, it's in the software. 85 to 107Wh per hour. Or as I look at it, a big old skool bulbs power to run the whole show thru the night. OP, you are not alone. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:42:47 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wood hot tub
seajays

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 08:12:10 AM »

Thanks all, I certainly had not realised that the ME3000 powers itself from the battery even when it has mains power - that would explain it. With just a couple of batteries that small draw does add up over 24 hours when there's no PV to recharge it.

I assume at some point the BMS would shut the batteries down completely to protect them if there was no charging happening?
pantsmachine

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 08:35:45 AM »

Max discharge on the Pylontechs is 90%, your controller is set to 40% cut off for discharge? That's what will happen. I read a bit on the round trip efficiency of these units yesterday and its 95% so not too bad for conversion losses if buying from grid via Octopus for example.

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wood hot tub
kdmnx

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 06:47:48 PM »

Thanks all, I certainly had not realised that the ME3000 powers itself from the battery even when it has mains power - that would explain it. With just a couple of batteries that small draw does add up over 24 hours when there's no PV to recharge it.

I assume at some point the BMS would shut the batteries down completely to protect them if there was no charging happening?

The Pylons have a cell voltage cutoff irrelevant of reported pack percentage. If the voltage of any cell drops below a certain voltage the pack throws an error. I guess it is up to the device how it reacts to this maybe an inverter would stop sending power to the grid but might still power itself so that it can still work should the sun actually shine.

Maybe it is worth programming the inverter to charge the batteries to 20% from Gris power once a day?

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: