navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self charging hybrid  (Read 683 times)
kdmnx

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2020, 07:17:15 PM »

I agree they are transitional. As is said howevermany posts back above: 200-mile BEVs that can be charged at 100kW+ suit almost every use-case.

However, right now, many people do not have access to overnight or at-work charging, 200-mile BEVs are expensive, and there isnít the global manufacturing capacity for tens-of-millions of cars a year. All of that will be solved over the next decade, but right now there is a place for ďself charging hybridsĒ.

As for the ďengine sizeĒ point you keep making. That too isnít true. My XC90 PHEV is a 7-seat 4x4 that can tow 2.4tonnes, it would have had a 4l V8 or big Diesel engine, but instead has a 2.0l 4-cylinder. The hybrid version of the VW Passat has a 1.4, Iíve seen plenty of hybrids with 1l engines.

Iíd have bought a BEV if one existed that fitted the needs of my family. But it didnít at the time so I bought the Volvo. Most ordinary people donít care about the propulsion they care about the badge/image and monthly payment.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 07:39:10 PM »

the difference is, you can plug yours in. At least a PHEV allows some capability to re-charge and drive purely on electric. There really shoudn't be an excuse for any hybrid to not have a plug anymore.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2020, 07:44:13 PM »

A plug in hybrid I can understand and  see fills a gap.
 A self charging hybrid in just nonsense marketing

Kidwelly South Wales
nicos

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2020, 11:55:25 PM »

In fairness to Toyota their hybrid concept was actually pretty good and looking on forums seems to achieve up to 60-70 mpg in stop/start urban traffic, in part achieved by using the Atkinson cycle for the petrol engine which improves efficiency at the expense of torque. They appear to genuinely be significantly cleaner than ICE vehicles in stop/start driving. In the 20+ years they've been around they must have made some difference, particularly to urban air quality.
What a shame, now that the technology is becoming antiquated, they decided to use that ridiculous advertising campaign!
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 01:46:23 AM »

I think it is a sound idea,
One of my neighbours and two of my customers have them. Both get over 70MPG round the town which is way better than just an ICE on its own. The ICE is a little light weight engine. An optional plug in does seem to be beyond the wit of the management/ marketing people in the car factory.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: