navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burley Hollywell or D&G Ivar5 woodstove?  (Read 4189 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2020, 10:21:58 PM »

👍
    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2020, 06:32:22 AM »

Yeah, don't go full bore at the moment, paint curing & all that a few fires to cure everything before you fire it in anger.

Please inform the wife that the "ash to clean the window glass is crud" & will only ruin it, use a basic cleaner which when you fire well should last you a couple of seasons anyway (& a few rolls of bounty) ..basically a vinegar n something mix in reality & easy to make, if you can be bothered.

Wife insisted (despite being told countless times) scratched to hell window that is now misty   banghead
She's banned!

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Tesla 3 owner,..soon (missus bought it on the sly) MARITAL STRIFE
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
pantsmachine

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2020, 04:11:28 PM »

Great addition to the home pants,
      Like Bugtownboy says, it beats the TV, Its very relaxing just to sit and look at it and of course feel the warmth .
    We put an extra boiler on top of ours,  600 x 150 x150mm.  No pump, no stat, no expansion tank except for a 2 litre jar of anti-freeze mix. It helps to heat a room upstairs. Our stove was just too powerful in our sitting room/kitchen  25 x 15ft so putting the boiler on top of the stove, got rid of some of it. Our stove heats 12 rads and of course our thermal store. I was originally going to have a heart shaped boiler that semi enclosed the flue exit but settled for a length of Box Iron 150 x 150mm.   It worked out really well. Ours was supposed to be a prototype,  but it worked so well, that I just left it as it was.
     It's worth thinking about but you need the rooms above to suit the pipework. It works totally separate and by gravity, of course.
     Biff

Biff i'd be interested to see a photo of your added boiler if you get a chance? Day 2 and i've realised that i wasn't trying hard enough yesterday. I've got spots on the unit peaking at 230 deg C today and managed to heat up the three linked rooms then open a door to start on the rest of the house. Can certainly feel it in the hall but don't think there is quite enough oomph to make it up the stairs but that's ok as we were trying to be under req's of room and burn hot. Love the ecofan 812 for pushing the air around silently. Also a few drops of Neroli oil picked up in Mysure India in a metal bowl topped up with water is a great infuser. Ordered a new doorseal as old one worn and slight gap seen at door. Part of buying used i suppose (go that embedded energy idea). Overall very happy with the result!

MrGus, sorry to hear your doorglass was scratched, I will pay heed. Thank you Sad

Last couple of days average gas use has been 11 cubic mtrs per day. Yesterday it was 6 with woodstove firing up around 2 pm. Today should be better as I was awake at 4 am to 'check' that all was well and went for an early morning burn (top down). Moving the fan to allow the airstream to flow across more surface has made a difference to felt heat and speed of same into other rooms.

Its nice to see the gas use drop on day 1 but i'm not sure this is justifiable as clean? Practically no smell outside or smoke. Can see the heat shimmer at top of flue but again little. Pretty sure potential energy is mostly converted to light & heat and radiated out. Can I claim this as an RE victory, Thoughts?  wackoold
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:47:51 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
9.6kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Veg patches & wood fired hot tub
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2020, 04:25:38 PM »

Will be glad to,
 Its no showroom installation but it worked really well when we lived upstairs. No pump, no valves just plumbed straight into the rad directly above in our upstairs sitting room, We got the best performance when we shut off the air wash valves and only allowed the minimum 1 mm of air through on the centre on at the top,
Its plumbed in completely independant from the stove boiler. It might look connected in the second pic but it is not,.
  I found it really difficult to sit in front of it without trying to steal more heat from it for upstairs, I was planning to wrap a 15mm flexible copper coil around the flue, etc,, etc but wisely I left it alone. This was abviously a quick job, all the joints and bends are compression and the lot could be removed in 20 minutes.Including the draindown.
    I drew up a plan for a kidney shaped one as well, It semi circled the flue exit but would have held slightly less water ,It would have been a lot more efficient but in a different way,This boiler continued to heat the downstairs lounge and upstairs sitting room for an hour after the fire had gone out. It,s beem a good 5 years since I tried to clean the glass Grin 
  This one looks a little better,
                                             Biff
   The 4 little circular supports under each leg were fitted to enable me to fit the next size stove up, if this one was not up to the job, The boiler pipes would correspons perfectly without altering the brickwork. Fortunately, this stove worked fine, especially with help from the Turbine and solar dump load immersions , It,s a great little stove. All zee way from China. A stove with no name,
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 08:08:56 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Bugtownboy

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2020, 05:56:19 PM »

Last couple of days average gas use has been 11 cubic mtrs per day. Yesterday it was 6 with woodstove firing up around 2 pm. Today should be better as I was awake at 4 am to 'check' that all was well and went for an early morning burn (top down). Moving the fan to allow the airstream to flow across more surface has made a difference to felt heat and speed of same into other rooms.

Its nice to see the gas use drop on day 1 but i'm not sure this is justifiable as clean? Practically no smell outside or smoke. Can see the heat shimmer at top of flue but again little. Pretty sure potential energy is mostly converted to light & heat and radiated out. Can I claim this as an RE victory, Thoughts?  wackoold

[/quote]

Well, I think you can push that gas usage down significantly  angel

In terms of burning wood being RE ?

Iím sure you can justify both yes or no - in your favour, I understand (apologies if Iíve misinterpreted) youíre using your own wood from your own wood  Shocked , so definitely (potentially) renewable.

In terms of the exhaust from burning (pollution), I suppose the biggy is Particulate Matter, particularly PM10 & 2.5. Iím still unsure (because I canít find anything definitive or Iím biased) how Ďbadí burning well seasoned hardwood in a modern stove is.

There again, weíve reduced our mileage significantly (even discounting Coronavirus) which has reduced this source of PM.

I hope, all of us at least attempting to reduce FF usage, increasing overall use of renewables and, to me the most important, reducing consumption of all natural resources.

Interesting point, though, about wood burning. Sure thereíll be lots of views.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2020, 08:21:00 PM »

It is hard to know where the next angle on wood is coming from, BTB,
                                  I feed our stove with Junkers, solid oak flooring, Then, Thick Oregon pine flooring,. Big heavy solid teak doors, I don,t burn chipboard or ply any more,I get as much as I want for free, I can give genuine reviews on the very best circular saws Grin.
    I would like to believe that I am doing the right thing by burning this wood rather than cutting down my ash and sidka spruce,, however with the latest debates on the subject, I am not 100% sure,
                                 \Biff

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2020, 08:49:36 PM »

Ali express has plenty of cheap meters if you have a few hours to burn looking, to me you "seem" to get better prices on the algorithm looking a few times over separate days.

I bought one sometime ago & take it with us to the alps (as well as the airport on tarmac just before loading) they have about a 2 minute "Prep" time, kit like that is interesting for pointing at smokers in the pub, or to get an idea of what's going on in that underground wood fired pizzeria (etc).

(If you are concerned as to particulate, & fancy running around a few times with a ladder for measuring spots & heights, however if you follow good practise & the updraft is as you say, then sounds like it will burn hard, hot & cleaner anyway.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Tesla 3 owner,..soon (missus bought it on the sly) MARITAL STRIFE
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
pantsmachine

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2020, 09:48:56 AM »

Biff, I like the simplicity of that wee system, really nice. We've got a thermosiphon woodburner on our hot tub and it never fails to amaze me the power of these units for no moving parts and in your case shifting it from one room to another is outstanding.

After being in the O&G game for 30 years I am 1st hand aware of the vast amounts of planning, energy, logistics, processes, resources and human ingenuity involved before the gas emerges at the home. From that POV, the woodstove is a win as I walk to the wood and use my battery powered chainsaw, job done. I really need Ripple to get that communal windfarm 100% booked out and started for these little to zero solar days!

After that it comes down to the dryness and type of wood, draw and efficiency. I couldn't do much more to preplan this for a win. Examples being the choice of stove with its filter, choice of twinwall flue with its lifetime warranty and reading/listening to all you guys have advised me on. I'm glad we opted for the 6" flue as it future proofs the system for growth and now that Biff has injected the idea into my brain, it'll rattle around until it pops oot in reality.

Particulate count i can't do anything about other than the preplanning and best practice as already written about. The only thing i would say is that I read mixed reviews on the Burley units for starting, my experience for posterity is a single log long ways, split side up, on top of ash bed, a firelighter on top of that log, build a lattice tunnel of kindling on top of same log, one more fire lighter on top of roof of lattice tunnel. Light the bottom firelighter and the whole thing takes off like a rocket, slug of cold air is ejected out of top of flue at a rate of knots and within 10 mins there will be another log on top of the kindling and we're off to those races again.

SWMBO is absolutely chuffed to bits and its pretty much Christmas every day now. Smiley

I am hoping that we'll be down to 16,000 kWh gas for the year by month end, down from 19,000 kWh last year and 32,000 kWh back in 2016. Sub 10,000 kWh pa gas would be nice, hoping to reach that goal 2021 end count as we have another couple of small projects in mind and using the woodstove has already 1/2'd daily gas.
 If I think of the whole gas process from planning, pre survey, survey, test wells, field development, transportation to shore, processing, storage, transportation to my home and installation/maintenance of systems therein for gas use then my walk with my electric chainsaw at the start and particulate filter at end of my stove combustion process seem ok. Not neutral but closer to neutral than the aforementioned. Well, that's what i'm telling myself anyway. Smiley

We have also moved hive zone 1 sensor from big lounge at rear(where the woodburner is) to internal hall and dropped the demand. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out once i've dialed in the Rad thermo's for the different heating profile.

Final thing, The wee ecofan 812 does an outstanding job of pushing the stove air around the rooms. Its a very different type of heat to the CH radiators and we were both surprised when 19.5 deg C felt as comfortable as 22 deg C from the CH. We surmise its due to the fan pushing the warm air front horizontally across the room as it comes off the stove whereas the rads by comparison go straight up or out and up with no motive power behind the air. Might be preaching to the choir but after 13 years of knowing this room and how it heats up, game changer. Smiley

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 05:26:29 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
pantsmachine

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »

Evening from Cairo lads. Just a wee footnote on the stove. I bought the stove 2nd hand. It had been used in a showroom for a couple of years. I noticed that the door rope was a bit worn and pulling air past the rope.  We had run the stove for 5 days and the difference in heat apparent in room and the cool flame patterns and control of same once we'd replaced the door rope with new was crazy. Also, all the output pipes are now balanced and way hotter according to the gun.

The stove was room sealed from day 1. We now know the difference there with the room air being dragged into stove past the worn door rope. If your stove is a few years old, check that door rope and replace it if worn, especially if stove is room sealed. The heat up of room is way faster, also fuel is defo lasting longer.

Temperatures are 240 on the box, 130 on the flue collar and 50 degrees where flue passes through plasterboard when fully loaded and with air set at 1/2 or just below.

Again for posterity, we are literally touching off the lower firelighter, dogging the door on ignition setting and walking away to make a cup of tea. Come back 5-10 mins later and it's blazing, add a log on top split facing down, fully close door and it's job done. Run full tilt for a few minutes then close air in lever to halfway. I was mildly bricking it due to what I read on Burley's being temperamental. Not found that at all so far. I hope this helps someone.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 05:39:31 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
pantsmachine

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2020, 06:47:12 PM »

Just checked gas use back home for yesterday from Port Said (isn't the Internet wonderful), 4.4 cu mtr gas used in comparison to last year when we averaged 12 to 13 per day. Smiley Wanda the woodstove is prodding buttock!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 06:56:27 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up