navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the grid getting confident with wind energy?  (Read 1242 times)
oliver90owner

« on: November 15, 2020, 06:33:21 AM »

I see the CCGT generation is down to under 3GW currently (2.982GW at 6:45h), so is the grid at last admitting that they could run with more renewables than they have been recently?
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:50:45 AM »

My hunch says that perhaps demand is higher in general and maybe the wind forecast was more consistent for longer periods so they could be more comfortable?

Wonder how much wind is constrained even now though?

Interesting also that nuclear has steadily crept back up.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
brackwell

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 09:06:59 AM »

Yes possibly but the picture is a bit more complicated than the overall figs suggest.  At the moment wind is being curtailed to its "quota" of c10GW ( at great expense).  The grid besides getting all the ducks lined up is always working on what happens if something fails eg power station or transmission line and the rules they operate under say they have to be able to cater for what is the size of a power station falling out (sorry cant recal the exact fig). The whole system is constantly moving power around the system and in the case of wind generally from north to south but there is a limit to what extent this can be done whilst maintaining everthing. Power stations cannot just be shut down to make way for wind because they are needed as spinning reserve to keep frequency and they do not start from cold in an instant when required later eg evening peak.

The reason they report as you say is that it is very windy, relative to the avg, in the south this weekend. This means it can use southern transmission lines more and power stations less. I would guess that normally southern power stations are not turned down as much as those further north.  Historically i have seen the gas turned down to less than 2GW.

The grid is aiming to be able to run 100% RE by 2025 if only for short periods. To this end more battery storage and synchronus motors are being put in place to allow spinning reserve and frequency.

I think a lot of people think that the Nat Grid is a fat controller who can make decisions whether to use RE or FF.   The Nat Grids overall aim is supply with stability and safety and purchase what it needs by contracts in the least cost way.  I believe they are doing a good job but what do i know.

Ken

PS and all this is going on whilst importing from France to feed the leccy hungry south
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:11:37 AM by brackwell » Logged
pdf27

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 09:11:50 AM »

Agreed - if they're curtailing wind a lot they can afford to have more of it on the grid, both because it'll be closer to demand but also because they've got more ability to turn additional wind up at very short notice in the event of a problem. It being Sunday will help a lot too.
At the same time I'm quite sure that they're getting better at managing it - that's only to be expected.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 10:58:29 AM »

I would imagine if you're a grid engineer, it's a lot easier and more flexible to ask a wind turbine to curtail than it is to turn off a whole gas power station?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: